God of War (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah both the mists and the fire world are a bit difficult at the start but after an hour or so of grinding mists (just run around and collect what you can and get out, buy armor, rinse repeat) they both become fairly easy and the mist armor is super useful for the rest of the game.

Its kinda funny/sucky that you "finish" fire world, think you are all done, and then its like "... how about you do this again??" I really, really hated the thing where you had to kill mobs inside circles (COME TO MY CIRCLE MY FRIEND LET US TALK FUCK STOP RUNNING AWAY) or the one where you had to kill mobs at the same time, i think i spent 20 mins on that one not understanding the mechanics for a long... long... long time.

watching a few lets plays its also crazy how few people seem to know about mashing square every CD to have the boy kill stuff. give him armor that makes arrows better and use ice arrows and he can pretty much solo a ton of stuff, i just run around dancing and he kills stuff for me or at least stuns them so i can finish them off

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
so, I just finished watching Jesse Cox' and The Completionist' playthrough and I must congratulate myself for resisting the urge to buy a PS4 to play it. Why? That fucking kid. People praise the game for not making the child annoying but holy jesus, he turned turned out to be just as annoying as kids in other games. He would have turned me off from actually finishing the game, had I played it. When he "hit puberty" after lashing out at the vendor guy, he became unbearable little brat.
Also the final boss fight was meh. It seriously lacked mechanics. It was just switch weapons depending on the situation. The final Valkyrie on the other hand would have been a proper final boss. Imagine the boy turning out to be the actual final boss by having Freya turn him into a valkyrie for her revenge and Kratos having to make a choice to either kill the boy or himself be killed. Now that would have been an ending.

do I need to spoiler stuff? Too lazy, I'll let the mods do it

• 4Salty
  • 2Dislike
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Beat the game today story didn't take much longer from where I left off (also 100% the game)

Valk queen wasn't that bad for me, took a few tries just because of the annoying wind up shit with runic attacks.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I don't have a PS4 (yes, I deserve the ridicule) and don't really play but one game casually on my phone, but my little nephew got this recently and I only saw him play the first 30 minutes but was blown away by... well... everything about it. So I decided to watch This Movie of all the relevant parts of the game and it's honestly just as enjoyable as watching a quality, high-budget motion picture. I guess that's the level these games have evolved to now, which is really, really fucking awesome. I'm about 2 hours into the vid so I still have a lot to watch but damn this game is impressive; I obviously can't make any opinion on gameplay/fun (which I can safely assume is top tier) but cinematography-wise this may be the most amazing game I've ever seen.

If anyone has any other games that are enjoyable to simply watch as a film like this one is, please post some suggestions :)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, the game isn't perfect, but this is one of those games that should have it's own course in game development.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
combat is by far the weakest part of this game, but everything else is phenomenal

• 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a PS4 (yes, I deserve the ridicule) and don't really play but one game casually on my phone, but my little nephew got this recently and I only saw him play the first 30 minutes but was blown away by... well... everything about it. So I decided to watch This Movie of all the relevant parts of the game and it's honestly just as enjoyable as watching a quality, high-budget motion picture. I guess that's the level these games have evolved to now, which is really, really fucking awesome. I'm about 2 hours into the vid so I still have a lot to watch but damn this game is impressive; I obviously can't make any opinion on gameplay/fun (which I can safely assume is top tier) but cinematography-wise this may be the most amazing game I've ever seen.

If anyone has any other games that are enjoyable to simply watch as a film like this one is, please post some suggestions :)

Bloodborne. In all it's Lovecraftian Victorian England beauty. if that's your thing.

But really. Get a PS4 and enjoy the unparalleled exclusives it has.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Vanessa Vanessa Play the game!! Don't spoil the greatness that is God of War. You miss out on SO much lore by just watching the cutscenes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
After beating the game, I went back to Kratos's home in the game, went to sleep and got a cool new cut scene. Is that an easter egg or are you supposed to go back home after you spread your wife's ashes?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Loving this game so much so far. It will definitely be game of the year.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We’ll see. RDR2 will be stepping up to the plate.

Too true.

My main gripe right now with GOW is the boss battles have been very lack luster. How many times am I going to fight a variant of the Troll boss? For a game that has Dark Souls like combat with a GoW twist they have failed on the bosses part so far. I just did Hellium today and I was like another troll boss really? Pretty lazy boss design.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Too true.

My main gripe right now with GOW is the boss battles have been very lack luster. How many times am I going to fight a variant of the Troll boss? For a game that has Dark Souls like combat with a GoW twist they have failed on the bosses part so far. I just did Hellium today and I was like another troll boss really? Pretty lazy boss design.

Yeah but still I felt like I was on one amazing Disney ride.

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Too true.

I hadn't really put much thought into that critique, but you're not wrong. I wonder if that was a consequence of time/budget or intentional?

In spite of the shortcomings you mentioned, this is easily in my top 3 games of all time. I could see myself replaying it several times in the years to come. They did soooo much right with this game, and it's quite clear that the team was as passionate and invested as Cory Barlog. Hopefully they're not too burned out to jump right into the sequel!

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Definitely my favorite game on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn. Really my only complaints are:

a) Lack of mini map, with the provided big map being useless for navigation. Am I missing something here, as I fail to see what the purpose of the main map is except for tagging quest locations.

b) Due to a) above, I constantly feel like I might be "missing" something. Due to lack of mini map, it's really up to you to scour each area for side paths, rooms, and loot.

c) Lack of fast travel. Yeah, I know portals open up later, but the lack of fast travel makes back tracking difficult and contributes to the feeling of missing stuff. For instance I'll frequently come across a chest or area that seems to be inaccessible, I'll spend a few minutes trying to figure out if there's a puzzle to access them, then eventually give up and figure that I need to keep moving forward to find the solution, and/or I am intended to come back for it later. But then you forge forward, don't find any mechanism to access it, and by then you're too far along to backtrack. Did I miss the puzzle or am I just intended to come back later? And if it's the latter, how do I get back? Just leads to this overall feeling that I've missed content..

d) Side quests.. I'm just about to finish up Alfheim I think, and I think I've only found a few side quests the entire game. Only outstanding side quest I have is to find all the 4 ciphers, of which I've found 3, all in the lake area. Am I missing quests?

I just find the combination of factors above make it difficult to figure out what content has been missed, and makes it difficult to backtrack to anything you may have missed *if you can realize it).

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Side quests.. I'm just about to finish up Alfheim I think, and I think I've only found a few side quests the entire game.
Alfheim is like 15% in. Everything you can do is put on the map or listed in your journal, nothing is permanently missable.

italica

Trakanon Raider
d) Side quests.. I'm just about to finish up Alfheim I think, and I think I've only found a few side quests the entire game. Only outstanding side quest I have is to find all the 4 ciphers, of which I've found 3, all in the lake area. Am I missing quests?

Unless you're trying to eek out an extra player level early in the GMGoW difficulty mode (can/want to get level 2 before heading into the mountain from the lake if you do some side stuff in that mode), there's really no reason to do much if any backtracking for stuff you think you might have missed.

Edit: Everything can still be accessed after story completion, nothing is cut off completely.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Definitely my favorite game on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn. Really my only complaints are:

a) Lack of mini map, with the provided big map being useless for navigation. Am I missing something here, as I fail to see what the purpose of the main map is except for tagging quest locations.

b) Due to a) above, I constantly feel like I might be "missing" something. Due to lack of mini map, it's really up to you to scour each area for side paths, rooms, and loot.

c) Lack of fast travel. Yeah, I know portals open up later, but the lack of fast travel makes back tracking difficult and contributes to the feeling of missing stuff. For instance I'll frequently come across a chest or area that seems to be inaccessible, I'll spend a few minutes trying to figure out if there's a puzzle to access them, then eventually give up and figure that I need to keep moving forward to find the solution, and/or I am intended to come back for it later. But then you forge forward, don't find any mechanism to access it, and by then you're too far along to backtrack. Did I miss the puzzle or am I just intended to come back later? And if it's the latter, how do I get back? Just leads to this overall feeling that I've missed content..

I just find the combination of factors above make it difficult to figure out what content has been missed, and makes it difficult to backtrack to anything you may have missed *if you can realize it).
Very few treasures are inaccessible when you come across them. The tell tale signs for “come back later” are there’s something growing on the chest that you can’t break yet or there’s a lot of unfamiliar structures in the immediate area. But chests that are inaccessible contain items that correspond with the tool used to open them, so you’re not actually missing anything.

Edit: Furthermore, nothing truly important is too far off the beaten path. The max hp and max rage improving items aren’t nearly as hidden as obscure runes or the mediocre armor chests.