God of War (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
In my mind God of War and Witcher 3 are the best games of this generation so far. I expect RDR 2 to be better than both, but until next week those are my favorites. Spider Man is great, I really like it, but God of War is significantly better in my opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I put Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn as my favorites of the generation. Both are A+.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I put Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn as my favorites of the generation. Both are A+.
Maybe it's just me but HZD never did much for me. It just felt overhyped, even after it came out. Aloy was voiced well enough, but i feel like there were no other memorable characters. The combat seemed entirely repetitive. I don't know, I know people loved it but i just couldn't get into it.

GoW on the other hand is just a masterpiece

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dunno how you can love GoW but dislike HZD since they are actually very similar games.. HZD had better stealth options and mechanics, while GoW had better combat mechanics, but other than that they are the same type of game for the most part.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
There are design choices I find suspicious in the game, but that might be related to the way I played it.

- You unlock 865654 fighting moves, but I used a couple at most (the shield bash to break the enemy defense, throwing projectiles back at enemies once in a while and.... throwing rocks when in rage because it's funny!). The Valkyrie Queen died all the same to my mighty R1 basic combos.

- You get 768675564654 enchants. 95% of those are worthless. Some have contextual use (resists), but most you just use for the level.

- There are 6756758765 chests in the game and 99% of them contain garbage. It was difficult to get excited the first time I found 1 World Serpent Scale and 3 Solid Svarthalfeim Steel, so imagine the 30th time...

- There is a bunch of runes and talismans... I think I used about 10 runes total and maybe 4 talismans.

I understand the idea of having a rich equipment system that allows a lot of customization to accommodate different play styles, but the implementation in GoW was both tedious (up to 22 equipment slots in an action game!) and not satisfying, because you constantly get stuff you don't care about and stats feel totally useless. The one important value is the level because it has an actual impact on the gameplay. For my money, the whole thing could have been culled to the point every time you find something you are actually excited about it.

Again, this problem might be emphasized by my play style. I played in normal and I always progressed the main quest last, after all the side stuff was done.

I very much enjoyed the game as a whole though.
Your critiques aren’t off the mark. They definitely had a problem with too much junk to sift through. However, the game’s hardest difficulty made upgrades significant and impactful. There were quite a few times when I was actively looking for mats to craft upgrades. The valk queen was so hard that I farmed Nifl for at least an hour to get enough money to afford upgrading my gear.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's just me but HZD never did much for me. It just felt overhyped, even after it came out. Aloy was voiced well enough, but i feel like there were no other memorable characters. The combat seemed entirely repetitive. I don't know, I know people loved it but i just couldn't get into it.

GoW on the other hand is just a masterpiece
If you keep yourself from getting too distracted from the main story, HZD is also an incredible game. If GoW is a 9.5, Spider-Man is 9.4, and HZD is a 9.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Spiderman is that good, huh? I'm not a big comic book / comic movie guy at all, so I didn't really have interest. Probably pick it up on sale at some point.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Spiderman is that good, huh? I'm not a big comic book / comic movie guy at all, so I didn't really have interest. Probably pick it up on sale at some point.
Spider-Man’s weakest points are its excessive open world collectibles and the moments when you’re not playing as Spider-Man. Besides that, it’s exceptional.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's a really good game, but a bit overrated on the board. It's a Spiderman version of the Arkham series

• 1Solidarity

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Spiderman is a great game. I liked HZD, but never could finish it. Tried twice, but lost motivation about halfway through each time. i think Dandai's point about getting distracted from the main story by side objectives may be my problem. I really enjoyed the story, but the side quests started to feel too repetitive to me. I get all OCD about those things though and feel compelled to complete them.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The main story is definitely the best part of the game. Glad I cleared most of the map and side quests before starting the Sunfall part of the main story. Because no way I would do any side shit after that.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
The main story is definitely the best part of the game. Glad I cleared most of the map and side quests before starting the Sunfall part of the main story. Because no way I would do any side shit after that.
The DLC is worth revisiting for the additional story (maybe 3-5 hours depending on difficulty?). There’s 5 or 6 side quests and they’re much better written and higher production value than the base game’s side quests.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Spiderman is a great game. I liked HZD, but never could finish it. Tried twice, but lost motivation about halfway through each time. i think Dandai's point about getting distracted from the main story by side objectives may be my problem. I really enjoyed the story, but the side quests started to feel too repetitive to me. I get all OCD about those things though and feel compelled to complete them.
Yeah, the open world stuff really holds the game back. It’s too formulaic and uninteresting. The main story is one of the best I’ve seen in a video game (maybe THE best). Execution and delivery of the story isn’t as good as the story itself, but it’s still well above average. If you’re a fan of sci fi at all, you owe it to yourself to go back and set it on the easiest difficulty and just complete all the main missions.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It's a really good game, but a bit overrated on the board. It's a Spiderman version of the Arkham series

I was curious how similar it was to the Arkam series. My only experience with it was Arkam City, and while it was a great game, the combat was a little boring and I would never put it near the quality GoW and H:ZD.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the open world stuff really holds the game back. It’s too formulaic and uninteresting. The main story is one of the best I’ve seen in a video game (maybe THE best). Execution and delivery of the story isn’t as good as the story itself, but it’s still well above average. If you’re a fan of sci fi at all, you owe it to yourself to go back and set it on the easiest difficulty and just complete all the main missions.

my net is pretty terrible, otherwise i'd re-download it. i had knee surgery last year when it came out so i bought it to play while i was recovering. maybe it was just all the drugs, but i was really excited to play it and felt pretty meh about it the whole time. i KNOW that it's better than my memory, so i'm not opposed to trying it again. it's just...again... terrible net connection at my current residence.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Target is supposedly going to have this for $25 on Black Friday

That's good to know. Finally picked up a ps4 pro because I couldn't resist playing rdr2... now I'll finally get to play all these exclusives. Had just seen that this dropped to 40 permanently but wouldn't mind waiting longer. Gotta play red dead anyways.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you didn't get this when it came out (I didn't, then patiently waited all year for it to drop to 20 bucks just because) its now 22 dollars on PSN.

I played through to beat the stranger that shows up at the house last night and was thoroughly impressed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users