God of War (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
A lot of the Valkyrie fights are coming prepared and at a high enough power level. If you make sure you have good runic attacks and start the fight with a full rage meter along with a bezerker Rez stone you can get pretty far with them. I didn’t try them much till I finished the game earlier today and was around level 7-8. I got 6/8 of them today on 2nd highest difficulty. The one under the highest mountain in Midgard was still kicking my ass though.

Beautiful game and one of my favorites of all time.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
there's also a certain order to them. i don't remember at all which was which, but you could do a couple before maxing everything. so if you happened to do the wrong one first it was no fun.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I didn’t really have much problems with them, but I’m a normie who plays on whatever the default difficulty is (normal?). One shotted a few that I didn’t fight until after beating main story, and Sigrun took like 5 or 6 tries just to get used to the combined skillset of all of the valkyries that she uses. Main problem was getting careless with the heavy runic attack I was using, and her jumping away before it hits her and me just slamming my axe against the ground like a retard while she lines me up.

I also had everything maxed by the time I fought her, so I’m sure that helped

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I didn’t really have much problems with them, but I’m a normie who plays on whatever the default difficulty is (normal?). One shotted a few that I didn’t fight until after beating main story, and Sigrun took like 5 or 6 tries just to get used to the combined skillset of all of the valkyries that she uses. Main problem was getting careless with the heavy runic attack I was using, and her jumping away before it hits her and me just slamming my axe against the ground like a retard while she lines me up.

I also had everything maxed by the time I fought her, so I’m sure that helped
The difficulty isn't in the attacks themselves, per se, it's in how severely punished you are when you make a mistake - and in the case of Sigrun, you aren't allowed more than one significant mistake (with rez stone) for the entire 6-10 minute long fight on God of War difficulty.

The spoiler is someone doing the fight on God of War difficulty:

At approx 2:26 you see how he loses about 3/4 of his full health from one unblockable wing stab... and at 7:00 he dies when she's at 10%. I can't tell you how many times that happened to me. I eventually had to turn off my UI so I wouldn't get flustered knowing I was close to beating her.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The difficulty isn't in the attacks themselves, per se, it's in how severely punished you are when you make a mistake - and in the case of Sigrun, you aren't allowed more than one significant mistake (with rez stone) for the entire 6-10 minute long fight on God of War difficulty.

The spoiler is someone doing the fight on God of War difficulty:

At approx 2:26 you see how he loses about 3/4 of his full health from one unblockable wing stab... and at 7:00 he dies when she's at 10%. I can't tell you how many times that happened to me. I eventually had to turn off my UI so I wouldn't get flustered knowing I was close to beating her.

Pretty sure that dude didn’t have all of the hp and rage upgrades. Looks like he has Ivaldis armor but no idea if it’s upgraded.

But like I said, I just did it on normal and I was max level. I don’t really play any of these games on max difficulty, I barely have time to finish games let alone spend the extra time it takes for that.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure that dude didn’t have all of the hp and rage upgrades. Looks like he has Ivaldis armor but no idea if it’s upgraded.

But like I said, I just did it on normal and I was max level. I don’t really play any of these games on max difficulty, I barely have time to finish games let alone spend the extra time it takes for that.
Only reason I entertained it was because I had nothing better to do (though surely Mrs. Dandai would disagree). I definitely wouldn't recommend any sane person spend 6 hours to learn an encounter in a single player game lol

Stave

Potato del Grande
I think I'm about half way done with the game. Just got the chisel. Really having a hard time sitting down to play this one though. Characters and graphics and the world detail is great, but it just seems to drag on. Something about it, I don't know though. I loved TLoU and like the whole adult/youth dynamic, but I can't seem to connect with these characters at all. I loved the first battle with the stranger, that got me all pumped up. Since then it's just been kinda meh. I think part of my problem too, might be that I spend so much time exploring every area to find all the secrets, so the game progresses really slow. Then half the time when I find them, I can't even access them yet due to some artificial block, like not having lightning arrows and shit. Then I need to try to remember where that secret was, so I can go back later and get it when I get whatever ability I need. It gets old backtracking to the same damn area like 3 times. Maybe thats why all these open world games drive me nuts. The young gamer in me says I need to 100% this shit. The old gamer in me says fuck this, why am I wasting my time, 100% means shit. So I end up just not playing it.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just finished this last week and I really enjoyed it a lot. I was a bit sad that there was only two God fights (and frankly the bothers fight was kind of lame I thought) but overall the game was fantastic.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm about half way done with the game. Just got the chisel. Really having a hard time sitting down to play this one though. Characters and graphics and the world detail is great, but it just seems to drag on. Something about it, I don't know though. I loved TLoU and like the whole adult/youth dynamic, but I can't seem to connect with these characters at all. I loved the first battle with the stranger, that got me all pumped up. Since then it's just been kinda meh. I think part of my problem too, might be that I spend so much time exploring every area to find all the secrets, so the game progresses really slow. Then half the time when I find them, I can't even access them yet due to some artificial block, like not having lightning arrows and shit. Then I need to try to remember where that secret was, so I can go back later and get it when I get whatever ability I need. It gets old backtracking to the same damn area like 3 times. Maybe thats why all these open world games drive me nuts. The young gamer in me says I need to 100% this shit. The old gamer in me says fuck this, why am I wasting my time, 100% means shit. So I end up just not playing it.
You definitely don’t need to 100% this to enjoy it. The only thing I’d recommend going out of your way to do is spend more time in the canoe. There’s some fun, interesting, and touching character interaction in the canoe.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this last week and I really enjoyed it a lot. I was a bit sad that there was only two God fights (and frankly the bothers fight was kind of lame I thought) but overall the game was fantastic.

Yeah, my only criticism with the game (other than length, thought it could've added a few more hours) was the boss fights. They were fairly redundant and the developers had a LOT of lore to work with here to give the player more from that perspective. Mostly trolls, Valks etc when you have an entire pantheon felt cheap to me. Brilliant game otherwise

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Yeah, my only criticism with the game (other than length, thought it could've added a few more hours) was the boss fights. They were fairly redundant and the developers had a LOT of lore to work with here to give the player more from that perspective. Mostly trolls, Valks etc when you have an entire pantheon felt cheap to me. Brilliant game otherwise
I'm guessing they didn't want to blow their load with gods for bosses in the first game. The trolls definitely got old though, surely they could've just used other creatures/non-deities for bosses. Still, way more than the first GoW, which had like what, 4 or 5 bosses?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm guessing they didn't want to blow their load with gods for bosses in the first game. The trolls definitely got old though, surely they could've just used other creatures/non-deities for bosses. Still, way more than the first GoW, which had like what, 4 or 5 bosses?

The first GoW was a PS2 game and story wise was all about taking out Ares. It morphed into just murdering the shit out of all the Greek gods and was more badass for it. Now it's taking steps backwards just for the sake of saving bosses for sequels

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The first GoW was a PS2 game and story wise was all about taking out Ares. It morphed into just murdering the shit out of all the Greek gods and was more badass for it. Now it's taking steps backwards just for the sake of saving bosses for sequels
There definitely could've been more diversity in the boss fights, even if it wasn't from deities, like I said. Maybe it was a time/budget thing? With how successful this was, I feel pretty good about round 2.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
They've also said that they chopped massive areas of the game in order too keep the pacing, a huge chunk of the Elven land was chopped out, some character building for atreus was chopped(after being healed), along with some multi-dimensional puzzle but they couldn't get the loading correctly working for it..

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Finished this today and it was as great as everyone said it would be. Niffelheim farming was actually my favorite part followed closely by the 9 Valk fights. I hated the Muspelheim trials the first time through but then came back and one shot all of them in a row after beating the valk. Story was great and characters were great; we just need more gods to kill before Loki moves on alone through the Egyptian pantheon.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been a bit, so yeah. All the callbacks to "I thought you'd be bigger" and other confusion from Baldur at the first meeting is a nice payoff on a second play-through after you know the story. Just little bits like that are like "Aha!"

Really looking for whatever potential sequel may happen; easily my game of 2018, even with MH:W out.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its strange that there have been quite a few God of War videos posted to YouTube by Santa Monica describing various aspects about the game. Its almost like they are trying to build up some new hype. Maybe we'll get some news soon-ish about a DLC or something.