God of War: Ragnarok

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished the main story, still have a few things to do though.

The story isn’t as good as the previous one, that said I like it a lot especially the second half.

They went with a fairly safe design overall in basically keeping with the formula that worked on the previous which isn’t a bad thing but also makes it a bit unexciting as there’s not much new.

Great game still overall.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So as I posted earlier, not playing it as a game but watching cut scenes of the major plot points. My son was so interested that today we sat down as a family and watched the 7 hour cut as the Saturday movie (Its Texas wet and cold). My opinion only, these are some of the most well-rounded characters and relationships in video games ever. I didn't mind the race swaps (mother of monsters and the Vanir boar dude being the only two I noticed). This is the game that TLOU2 *wanted* to be but was too high on their own Woke Supply to make. Apparently lots of GOW series fans wanted more involvement with the actual battles of Ragnarok or harder/longer/more arena'ed boss fights at the end; I can't tell you more about how those fights should have played out, although I know they were satisfying to watch without being overlong like the Balder fight was.

Odin was perfect, lying even when telling the truth, constantly manipulating everyone, always serving his own ends.
Thor was great, PTSD son who still wants to please a father who can never be pleased.
Heimdall with his braided hair and gold teeth, pushing buttons with every line, the smuggest bastard whom everyone wanted to kill
Atreus/Loki, who knew that being a normal teenage god could make you the God of Mischief? In all seriousness, the game is built on Kratos' and Atreus' relationship changing as Atreus matures; this is a coming of age tale when your single father is GodKilling God of War and you are the fulcrum that drives the end times battle for another Pantheon.
Kratos/Mim as the middle aged dad/Liam Neeson who will end the world to protect his son. Gods got into trouble when they started talking about Atreus, Thor and Heimdall especially (the blood debt and Heimdall's life). Kratos over time mellowing out, particularly after Garm's release, such incredible acting; I really felt it. Christopher Judge should win whatever awards he can win. "Loki will go, Atreus remains" is a GD body blow to the feels at the end of game.
Sindri/Brok are amazing. Brok is so great, his loss so felt; our characters never lose anything up that point, and Brok has been there since the beginning of the first game. Brok's worry about the loss of his soul and his inability to speak to Lady of the Forge, and Kratos' encouraging him to make the blessing is such a great moment.

The big twist of Odin as Tyr and him killing Brok is such a pivotal moment. Lots of what I have read elsewhere indicate people feel the game feels rushed after this but would the game be served by having another 10 hours of gathering allies for the final battle? The heart of the game, the real story is the push and pull between Odin and Kratos over Atreus/Loki (at one point when he comes back, Kratos asks"What should I call you?" : That is over with the murder of Brok.

I think it's a much better, more emotional story than 2018 GOW and maybe I just riding high on the ebullience of it but its one of my favorite video game narratives of all time. (KANYE: OF ALL TIME).

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So as I posted earlier, not playing it as a game but watching cut scenes of the major plot points. My son was so interested that today we sat down as a family and watched the 7 hour cut as the Saturday movie (Its Texas wet and cold). My opinion only, these are some of the most well-rounded characters and relationships in video games ever. I didn't mind the race swaps (mother of monsters and the Vanir boar dude being the only two I noticed). This is the game that TLOU2 *wanted* to be but was too high on their own Woke Supply to make. Apparently lots of GOW series fans wanted more involvement with the actual battles of Ragnarok or harder/longer/more arena'ed boss fights at the end; I can't tell you more about how those fights should have played out, although I know they were satisfying to watch without being overlong like the Balder fight was.

Odin was perfect, lying even when telling the truth, constantly manipulating everyone, always serving his own ends.
Thor was great, PTSD son who still wants to please a father who can never be pleased.
Heimdall with his braided hair and gold teeth, pushing buttons with every line, the smuggest bastard whom everyone wanted to kill
Atreus/Loki, who knew that being a normal teenage god could make you the God of Mischief? In all seriousness, the game is built on Kratos' and Atreus' relationship changing as Atreus matures; this is a coming of age tale when your single father is GodKilling God of War and you are the fulcrum that drives the end times battle for another Pantheon.
Kratos/Mim as the middle aged dad/Liam Neeson who will end the world to protect his son. Gods got into trouble when they started talking about Atreus, Thor and Heimdall especially (the blood debt and Heimdall's life). Kratos over time mellowing out, particularly after Garm's release, such incredible acting; I really felt it. Christopher Judge should win whatever awards he can win. "Loki will go, Atreus remains" is a GD body blow to the feels at the end of game.
Sindri/Brok are amazing. Brok is so great, his loss so felt; our characters never lose anything up that point, and Brok has been there since the beginning of the first game. Brok's worry about the loss of his soul and his inability to speak to Lady of the Forge, and Kratos' encouraging him to make the blessing is such a great moment.

The big twist of Odin as Tyr and him killing Brok is such a pivotal moment. Lots of what I have read elsewhere indicate people feel the game feels rushed after this but would the game be served by having another 10 hours of gathering allies for the final battle? The heart of the game, the real story is the push and pull between Odin and Kratos over Atreus/Loki (at one point when he comes back, Kratos asks"What should I call you?" : That is over with the murder of Brok.

I think it's a much better, more emotional story than 2018 GOW and maybe I just riding high on the ebullience of it but its one of my favorite video game narratives of all time. (KANYE: OF ALL TIME).
I'm surprised to read that many don't like the narrative/find it boring. Maybe they'll feel different after the finale. While the gameplay may be more of the same (which is exactly what I was hoping for), the narrative builds upon the foundation of 2018 GoW and wraps up the story in an extremely satisfying way. No cliffhanger, no setup for DLC or the next game, etc. I went into this game expecting some woke BS (because of early Angrboda promo materials) and was pleasantly surprised to find none (ok, ALMOST none if you count race swaps as woke BS).

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I think it is just bad pacing and dialogue repetition. After 25 hours it gets really tiresome hearing how war is bad or freya's angry over and over. The retread of realms and enemy types just compound it. It is still a top 3 or so game this year, but not quite as engaging or new and exciting as the first.

Like everything else this year it suffers following up Elden Ring too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Maybe the pacing felt better for me because I did pretty much everything I could before progressing through the story.

I wrapped up the platinum tonight. I beat everything except the 2 post game bosses on Give Me God of War. I don’t have it in me to slog through those ball busters right now, but I did make a save right before I dropped the difficulty in case madness comes over me in the future.
801D6C5A-89A1-42B3-9DC4-951EA67D77C8.jpeg

• 2Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I recognize ER for what it is, but I enjoyed playing through Ragnarok more. There can be debate but I don't think there's a clear winner for awards.

As far as comparing apples to apples, I think overall I preferred 2 over 1. I'm still working my way through the post-game but I've been really satisfied with Ragnarok. The story is broken up enough to stay interesting throughout, the characters surprise you, most tasks ultimately feel meaningful. Outside of some PS4 performance issues (character highlights game wide and loading after death), I'm finding it hard to complain about anything.

Easily a 9/10 game and I wouldn't argue anyone giving it a 10.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Did all post game content, love how they just keep throwing twists in there. They clearly want to continue the story, can’t wait!

Also you can wake up those trolls, with a relic.

What armor set to everyone end up maxing to 9? I went with his starter armor because +all stats.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Did all post game content, love how they just keep throwing twists in there. They clearly want to continue the story, can’t wait!

Also you can wake up those trolls, with a relic.

What armor set to everyone end up maxing to 9? I went with his starter armor because +all stats.

I just finished the base game. Did all side quests I could find in individual realms, except the trials. Finished the birds too. Only missed one without looking at maps as I went along, the sounds were enough to find them, but it was annoying looking over all the maps trying to find that one area with one bird. Though I guess it is a good thing the lists of things are separated into different parts of the map, and not one total list for the entire zone. Once I did find the spot that said a bird was missing, it was easy enough to get.

Finished at level 8 armor, still using the realm shift one. Weapons level 6, spear 7. Struggled a bit with currency until the spring which gives a crazy amount of resources. Have 750k now.

Looking forwards to doing post content.

A+ visuals. A+ combat. A+ sounds. A+ performance. Really enjoyed the game. 9/10. The constant backseating that happens before you even know there is a "puzzle" there at times is annoying enough that it doesn't get a 10. Only negative other than that is that I don't think the map is good. The markers on the compass jump around so much at times, that you can actually end up going the wrong way. Happened a few times in Valheim.

Only got two bugs. One where my axe turned invisible (came back upon death) and one where instead of jumping down a small cliff, the O came up and when I pressed it, Kratos jumped down and latched on to the wall, but under the world. Exact same place I saw a streamer do it. When I climbed back up, the O went away and I wasn't able to do it again. Odd bug.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I just finished the base game. Did all side quests I could find in individual realms, except the trials. Finished the birds too. Only missed one without looking at maps as I went along, the sounds were enough to find them, but it was annoying looking over all the maps trying to find that one area with one bird. Though I guess it is a good thing the lists of things are separated into different parts of the map, and not one total list for the entire zone. Once I did find the spot that said a bird was missing, it was easy enough to get.

Finished at level 8 armor, still using the realm shift one. Weapons level 6, spear 7. Struggled a bit with currency until the spring which gives a crazy amount of resources. Have 750k now.

Looking forwards to doing post content.

A+ visuals. A+ combat. A+ sounds. A+ performance. Really enjoyed the game. 9/10. The constant backseating that happens before you even know there is a "puzzle" there at times is annoying enough that it doesn't get a 10. Only negative other than that is that I don't think the map is good. The markers on the compass jump around so much at times, that you can actually end up going the wrong way. Happened a few times in Valheim.

Only got two bugs. One where my axe turned invisible (came back upon death) and one where instead of jumping down a small cliff, the O came up and when I pressed it, Kratos jumped down and latched on to the wall, but under the world. Exact same place I saw a streamer do it. When I climbed back up, the O went away and I wasn't able to do it again. Odd bug.

Huh I thought the compass was amazing, it doesn't point you as the crow flies it points to how to get there, which will cause it to jump around a bit but always follow it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm currently not playing this game since I'm not a groomer (Sony is leftist cult), but seeing some reports of mediocrity

I played the original GOW trilogy, was lots of fun

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm currently not playing this game since I'm not a groomer (Sony is leftist cult), but seeing some reports of mediocrity

Ill just leave this gem here;

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just finished.

Positives:

1) Graphically very impressive and performance mode ran great at 60 FPS.

2) Solid combat mechanics and skill sets across Kratos and the various modes.

3) The last 20% of the story was epic especially the last mission combined. Felt like I was watching a marvel movie at times.

4) Music, animations, etc all solid. Some very good voice acting.

5) Re : ending.
Loved how they did this. You walk side by side after easing into an epilogue and even a funeral for our lost dwarf later during we play through some stuff

Neutral:

1) Pretty much the same game as 2018 and a lot of reuse of assets. Although they tried hard to mask it.

2) Long drawn out walking scenes in some places.

3) Pacing and the storyline is all over the fucking place for well over half the game.

Negatives:

1) That little black girl is annoying as fuck and was obviously written by some gen Z retard. Same for Thor’s daughter. Both of them can die in a fucking fire.

2) I absolutely hate it when I do not have the abilities to solve puzzles and have to come back. They canned some main story lines behind it and that’s one of the huge reasons the pacing was all over the fucking place. Stop this shit.

3) Banter and stories are great and I’m listening. In 2018 however, when I stopped to do something and Kratos said “finish this later” the banter/story DID finish when I got back on the boat. In 2022 unless you sit there and not dock the boat, it’s all randomized and you’ll never hear the end of the conversation.

4) Where in the EVER living FUCK is fast travel after you complete the main story line. Having to run somewhere from a portal, do a favor or epilogue piece, have to run all the way back, check the map before hand because when choosing where to warp to your POI’s don’t show in warp selection, Rinse and repeat. For fucks sake come on. After you finish the game you should be able to just flash to any ports on entry point. I don’t care about having to run to a poi when I can select a close enough warp point, but running back is dog shit. ALSO:
You introduce a flying boat late in the game used what…. TWICE?? If you aren’t going to give us fast travel give us control of that flying boat and some effort into your end game design you fuck twits. What a missed opportunity to do something unique.

5) No one wants to play as these Gen Z spanking is child abuse fuckmunchkin pussy emo characters or have them as companions. Knock it the fuck off.

So, other than that I did put in 30 hours, it was a slog at points. Some great voice acting for the actual adults - good music score and combat, some fun puzzles (some infuriating) The last 20% of the game is what we are used to as God of War fans. Needs WAY more of the bigger monsters next time with a wow factor. Overall a 7/10.

Hoping to Christ they don’t take this series into African safari Gods with Atreus and his little emo side kick. Take note of what happened to The last of us 2 and learn how NOT to destroy your award winning franchise. Not that hard.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just finished.

Positives:

3) The last 20% of the story was epic especially the last mission combined. Felt like I was watching a marvel movie at times.

Loved how they did this. You walk side by side after easing into an epilogue and even a funeral for our lost dwarf later during we play through some stuff

Neutral:

1) Pretty much the same game as 2018 and a lot of reuse of assets. Although they tried hard to mask it.

3) Pacing and the storyline is all over the fucking place for well over half the game.

Negatives:

1) That little black girl is annoying as fuck and was obviously written by some gen Z retard. Same for Thor’s daughter. Both of them can die in a fucking fire.

2) I absolutely hate it when I do not have the abilities to solve puzzles and have to come back. They canned some main story lines behind it and that’s one of the huge reasons the pacing was all over the fucking place. Stop this shit.

3) Banter and stories are great and I’m listening. In 2018 however, when I stopped to do something and Kratos said “finish this later” the banter/story DID finish when I got back on the boat. In 2022 unless you sit there and not dock the boat, it’s all randomized and you’ll never hear the end of the conversation.

4) Where in the EVER living FUCK is fast travel after you complete the main story line. Having to run somewhere from a portal, do a favor or epilogue piece, have to run all the way back, check the map before hand because when choosing where to warp to your POI’s don’t show in warp selection, Rinse and repeat. For fucks sake come on. After you finish the game you should be able to just flash to any ports on entry point. I don’t care about having to run to a poi when I can select a close enough warp point, but running back is dog shit. ALSO:
You introduce a flying boat late in the game used what…. TWICE?? If you aren’t going to give us fast travel give us control of that flying boat and some effort into your end game design you fuck twits. What a missed opportunity to do something unique.

5) No one wants to play as these Gen Z spanking is child abuse fuckmunchkin pussy emo characters or have them as companions. Knock it the fuck off.

So, other than that I did put in 30 hours, it was a slog at points. Some great voice acting for the actual adults - good music score and combat, some fun puzzles (some infuriating) The last 20% of the game is what we are used to as God of War fans. Needs WAY more of the bigger monsters next time with a wow factor. Overall a 7/10.

Hoping to Christ they don’t take this series into African safari Gods with Atreus and his little emo side kick. Take note of what happened to The last of us 2 and learn how NOT to destroy your award winning franchise. Not that hard.

If the final prophecy is to be believed the next game will have almost nothing to do with his son. If you haven’t seen it go check in with the angryboda.

• 2Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

GoW 2018 was a vastly narrative driven gameplay. What did these hos expect?

1669381005555.png

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finally arrived ! Hammer is cool !
always funny to get a steel book case empty except for the digital code lol

F3A911FC-23DD-4E2F-9AEB-5DEE32FD0E5D.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished.

Positives:

Neutral:

Negatives:

I keep hearing it gets awsome in the last half or last third but man I got to ironwood and that shit killed all of my desire to play the game anymore. I have instead been playing some God of War 3 to wash the taste out of my mouth so to speak.

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I keep hearing it gets awsome in the last half or last third but man I got to ironwood and that shit killed all of my desire to play the game anymore. I have instead been playing some God of War 3 to wash the taste out of my mouth so to speak.

Yeah this one is much more of a love/hate game than 2018. I am really not liking having to play as other characters, while I don’t particularly mind that they added more companions.

Also I’m somewhat rustled that my ps5 Home Screen that you can’t control at all is a picture of the ugly ass jogger who voices Kratos.

• 1Salty

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yeah this one is much more of a love/hate game than 2018. I am really not liking having to play as other characters, while I don’t particularly mind that they added more companions.

Also I’m somewhat rustled that my ps5 Home Screen that you can’t control at all is a picture of the ugly ass jogger who voices Kratos.
head GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the final prophecy is to be believed the next game will have almost nothing to do with his son. If you haven’t seen it go check in with the angryboda.
I took that panel simply to mean everything Kratos / Freya do in the "aftergame" to go around and fix up the world.