Godzilla (2014)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but it's not just about back story--Godzilla is literally a metaphor for atomic power. The opening scene in the original Godzilla movie has him rising out of the water to destroy a fishing boat. That's in reference to thisincident; in which a Japanese fishing (Daigo Fukuryu Maru) boat was caught in our testing of the H-Bomb and the crew all eventually died from cancer. That scene was made to commemerate them, and cement Godzilla as the metaphor for uncontrollable Nuclear Power that could easily destroy us.

Anyway, sorry if you meant this Big-P--but it's always been something fascinating for me; and most people in the U.S. don't realize there is actually an symbolic link between atomic energy and Godzilla (And not just an origin story component.)

Also, 1998 honest trailer just came out and it's hilarious.

I dont think most americans have seen the original godzillas. I know the only I ever saw was that horrible 1998 one and so godzilla was like spiderman, at least in how it comes into being.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So so far you disliked:

Gravity
Godzilla
Pacific Rim
Inception

Liked:
John Carter

ooooooook
I also dislike inception
smile.png

Never saw john carter though.
And i hope i see godzilla this weekend

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I am irrationally excited to go see this. Everyone was panning it as the flop of the summer two weeks ago, and now there is legitimate buzz. Hmmm.......

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
way too much fucking focus on the son life and his love life you dont even see the first two battles. Over all I was expecting more however the movie was pretty well done. the surprise of the 3rd monster was quite nice. the black people who sat next to me @ the IMax were rude talking and whispering through out the movie. the ending was a let down he just wakes up and walks back to the ocean ok ...i guess. The climax fight was good breathing that atomic breath down that bitches throat and ripping her head off thumbs up. I guess the hole explanation for godzilla waking up just to fight was stupid he just happen to be listening to there mating call? and whoever said he was too fat was right.

Joe_sl

shitlord
I thought it was awesome. The CGI was so good.
Bryan Cranston dying was a huge mistake for the story. After he died it felt like there was no real lead character. They could have gone indepth with his research rather than the whole saving the family plot. The japanese dude was also hard to understand sometimes.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it. Kinda echo some of the others here in that I was underwhelmed. The human character element just wasnt at all compelling and of course they focus on that for about 80% of the movie. Throughout the film you are seeing the aftermath (TV clips, etc) of destruction and I couldnt help but feel that that was the entire point of seeing a Godilla flick was to see the action. Instead you are left with boring son going from point A to point B to point C in all of these encounters and not seeing the real action for a signifcant portion of it. Didn't care at all for Kickass actor, so yea... just wasn't too positive overall. Big climax scene with fire breath was badass but again seemed too little to late at the end of the film.

I'd give it a 6.5 of 10?

I too agree that killing off Cranston early was a HUGE mistake. I think the human story could have been significantly better with Walter White caliber acting driving the plot instead of ho hum Kickass.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah
Killing Cranston off so early just seemed so goddamn stupid. I thought it was gonna be awesome with Watanabe and Cranston teaming up to figure out what these monsters are about, how they interact, how to get them to fight each other, etc. Instead Cranston just dies in a shitty way, and Watanabe utters the most idiotic things in a soft whisper. "We should do nothing, Godzilla will save us." Wakandan, are you fucking high, what the fuck kind of scientific idea is that???

Yeah I understand Godzilla is supposed to be this japanese thing about how after WW2 they felt utterly defeated, and Godzilla represents nature kicking their ass without being able to fight back. Thats not really an American philosophy though and besides, that didn't really happen here anyways.

Like I said in my first review, I thought the last 20 minutes were great, his finishing move on Momma Muto was AWESOME. But I don't want a 20 minute movie, I want a full movie. I'm fine with their idea of not showing much of the monsters until the end, I get the "horror buildup" idea like Jaws. But shit, if you do that you gotta have a good story involving the humans, not Slab McJockRock traveling around the Pacific bringing death and destruction wherever he goes. movies like Independence Day or Stargate barely show the baddies until the end, but they have a great story and actors to carry it. This didn't. I kind of wonder if Cranston just wanted off the movie or something and they had to do a last minute complete script rewrite.

and man godzilla was fat as fuck, a pointed social message at America's obesity problem? Goddamn it Michelle Obama

Cybsled

Rewatch every Godzilla movie ever. It's like 90% people doing people shit and only 10% monster fights.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Agree re: Cranston thoughts in previous posts.

Enjoyed the movie overall. Forgot it was the kid from Kick Ass and thought he just looked like a stunt double for Eminem in 8 Mile or something until someone walking out mentioned it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
supertouch isn't trolling, dude just has terrible opinions. I'm sure we all remember the penis stroking incident.

I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really enjoyed it. Can't wait till we have the tech to do fights in the daytime and when it's not raining. Getting tired of nighttime battles.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
It was interesting to see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but why didn't they use their powers?

Needed more Fatzilla. He is kinda tubby like a stuffed animal. Enjoyed it and although I understand they went for the character building and suspense of the build up of the story I still would have preferred Fatzilla for another 20 mins of fighting.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Thought the movie was very well done overall, Fatzilla was hilarious in a completely unintentional way, but the fights were awesome and I didn't find the buildup that bad unlike some. But I will definitely jump on the ATJ can't carry a movie worth shit though, bandwagon.

Also, the Godzilla convoy was great. It was all like, "OK guys, lets get this big boy back to MURRICA!"