Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
Elizabeth Olsen (other sister)
David Strathairn (Bourne)

early teaser image
eVhmTG9zbE9jVk0x_o_new-godzilla-2014-image.jpg

reports they are going with guy in suit+cgi, early concept

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Monster looks like shit. Why make a godzilla movie and deliberately make it look nothing like him.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Monster looks like shit. Why make a godzilla movie and deliberately make it look nothing like him.
Seriously dude? Nothing like him? That is clearly a picture of Godzilla. Anyone who was a fan of the series would instantly know who that is. His appearance has only been slightly altered/updated to look a little less like a dude playing around in a rubber suit.

The newer model is far more menacing then the original, but still stays true to the original look. Unlike the 1998 version which looked like a T-Rex with downs.

.....Holy shit it has been 15 years since that movie?!
frown.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Hes got no head and his back armor is boring. Looks like a stegosaurus standing on his hind legs

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The snout thing kinda looked weird to me at first, but its actually not too bad. From the front its sweet, its that side profile with the "snout" that reminds me of a dolphin.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
They should use the latest suits they've been using in Japan for the Godzilla movies. They've been pretty badass.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I do like that they are going retro with the man inside a practical rubber monster suit, but yeah the look is something ill have to get used to.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They should use the latest suits they've been using in Japan for the Godzilla movies. They've been pretty badass.
All I think when I see this picture is if you slapped some glasses on him and a pocket protector...combined with that overbite and you have one nerdy looking Godzilla.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If they fix the head it will be fine. It needs to look exactly like the one in Lost Ranger's pic, the old Godzilla. No overbite like depicted in Kaige's and the "blueprint" one. The overbite makes him look slightly retarded. No sloped back eyebrow ridge either, it needs to be more pronounced, like the old one.

Really, just copy his old fucking face exactly. Part of the charm of Godzilla was that you could almost attribute human facial expressions to him. Whenever he did his happy dance when he landed a good hit on an opponent monster, you'd swear he was almost smiling. I don't want him to smile obviously, because that would be cheesy, but that's how you know his face and jaw are proportioned correctly. Godzilla isn't some brutish Cloverfield monster with no history, no intelligence, and no empathy from the audience.

TL;DR Don't make him too realistic, that destroys the whole charm of Godzilla.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For an American version of Godzilla that is honestly the best you are going to get. Live with it and hope it's a good story.

Drunken Edit: If Godzilla stomps all over Kobe and the Staples Center I consider the move a success.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If they fix the head it will be fine. It needs to look exactly like the one in Lost Ranger's pic, the old Godzilla. No overbite like depicted in Kaige's and the "blueprint" one. The overbite makes him look slightly retarded. No sloped back eyebrow ridge either, it needs to be more pronounced, like the old one.

Really, just copy his old fucking face exactly. Part of the charm of Godzilla was that you could almost attribute human facial expressions to him. Whenever he did his happy dance when he landed a good hit on an opponent monster, you'd swear he was almost smiling. I don't want him to smile obviously, because that would be cheesy, but that's how you know his face and jaw are proportioned correctly. Godzilla isn't some brutish Cloverfield monster with no history, no intelligence, and no empathy from the audience.

TL;DR Don't make him too realistic, that destroys the whole charm of Godzilla.
yeah man, younger people dont really know the godzilla phenomenon we had with Godzilla. they think he was just a big fire breathing lizard asshole with a vendetta against tokyo. but he was much more than that. he was fun. he had his own moves, he even had his own theme music and eventually stopped being an asshole and turned into a good guy. even the terrible movies were campy goodness. one christmas i even got a bigass godzilla (and Rodan) as presents. remember that one Vvoid? he had a lever in the back of his head which made a little flame tongue pop out of his mouth and for some reason his arm would shoot out.
anyway the nintendo nerd did a whole month on godzilla movies and explained his awesomeness properly.
http://cinemassacre.com/category/mov...-madness-2008/
compilation of the whole month
http://cinemassacre.com/2008/11/20/b...-godzillathon/

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I think this is just one of those cultural gaps you cannot bridge doing it from another cultural background. An American will never get Godzilla right. They always keep trying to change him into some dinosaur.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
yeah man, younger people dont really know the godzilla phenomenon we had with Godzilla. they think he was just a big fire breathing lizard asshole with a vendetta against tokyo. but he was much more than that. he was fun. he had his own moves, he even had his own theme music and eventually stopped being an asshole and turned into a good guy. even the terrible movies were campy goodness. one christmas i even got a bigass godzilla (and Rodan) as presents. remember that one Vvoid? he had a lever in the back of his head which made a little flame tongue pop out of his mouth and for some reason his arm would shoot out.
anyway the nintendo nerd did a whole month on godzilla movies and explained his awesomeness properly.
http://cinemassacre.com/category/mov...-madness-2008/
compilation of the whole month
http://cinemassacre.com/2008/11/20/b...-godzillathon/
Yeah, I had Godzilla and two Shogun Warriors that could shoot their fists at each other. Kind of massive toys for a little kid, when you think about it. And then the Micronauts came out, and Baron Karza and the white dude (Oberon maybe?) could also shoot their fists. Not sure what's up with the whole fist shooting thing, but it was a staple of toys back in the day.

Anyway, as Dumar said, I really don't want him to look like just some dinosaur. Whether you like him or not, he's a fucking movie icon, and changing him too much is just asking for fail (like the Matthew Broderick one, I actually didn't mind the look of the giant iguana, he just shouldn't have been called Godzilla, ever).