Godzilla (2014)

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Worst movie I've seen in a long time. I just got back from the theatre and came here first expecting to see a lot of other shit-talk. I can't believe y'all liked this. Jesus christ my brain still hurts.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Worst movie I've seen in a long time. I just got back from the theatre and came here first expecting to see a lot of other shit-talk. I can't believe y'all liked this. Jesus christ my brain still hurts.
I think it depends on what you were expecting out of it. I think if you're a fan of godzilla/old godzilla movies it is a nice throwback to those. If you went in expecting anything more than transformers, well yeah, you're gonna have a bad time.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
We just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D and thought it was a fun flick. Grew up watching Godzilla so we expected the new one to have the typical Hollywood tropes such as less camp, more frenetic scenes, interpersonal relationship focus, etc. but the cinematography, sound production and cgi were all top notch.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As a person that grew up loving Godzilla I found this movie to be good and must see in a theater. The story is a typical Godzilla type one and the way they explain why these creatures are around and how they are still alive is pretty well done. I was kinda of surprised at this part. The "human" part of it was terrible as expected. The monster fights were good but the fights weren't long enough. When Godzilla is on screen they really nailed all those scenes he was in though. Putting this up against all the other Godzilla movies and I feel this is one of the best ones but it's not THE best if that makes any sense. The movie really left me wanting more and I guess that is a good thing because I want another movie really bad right now!

I really loved at the end when Godzilla burns the female monsters head off and holds the head up and roars like a fucking Gladiator! That part was so fucking awesome!

Edit: after reading your guys reviews, I agree about the Cranston thing. They really dropped the ball there.

I feel the second movie needs to go with one of the iconic monsters from the japanese movies like Mothra.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Best part of this movie was the dude fucking straight up vid-camming the entire movie. I told my friend and he started laughing. Then he leans over and says, "The best part is...this is a 3d movie. He's going to have a shitty camera quality movie with a bunch of blurry people." I laughed at that for probably 10 minutes straight. Eventually dude stopped filming. Maybe he figured it out or decided to be more of a father figure to his two fat kids.

Movie was 7/10. Don't rush to the theater~

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Having grown up watching all the old Toho movies, I really enjoyed this. The human element was mediocre (but not as outright corny as the Japanese films) (and really who gives a shit about the human element in a Godzilla movie?), and the monster scenes felt all too brief, but every moment the monsters were on screen was awesome. Hopefully, now that this first movie has established things, any sequel can devote less time to people we don't care about, and more time to monsters kicking each other's asses.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
THIS WAS THE GREATEST FUCKING MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

WHEN THE FUCKING TAIL LIT UP BLUE AND HE LIT BITCH Wakandan MOTH UP I NEARLY JUMPED OUT OF MY GOD DAMN SEAT CHEERING.

HOLY FUCK MY DICK IS SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I really liked how Godzilla and the Mothra-like creatures (more like Praying Mantis than a Moth, though) were not "Anti-People" or even "Pro-People". They simply existed to exist. Not at all unlike a spider or ant.
The back story was good as well.

All in all, I enjoyed this. Will definitely watch it again, once it's on DVD.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh, if you haven't seen it, this is the announcement trailer from Comic Con 2012. This trailer is not available on Youtube (it's instantly pulled down).

I'm putting the link behind a spoiler wall, because it's technically a spoiler, yet also a fake out.
It's technically a spoiler because it's 2 scenes. One about 40% through the film, and the other at about 99.5% through it.
What makes it a fake out is that the dead monster on the ground isn't what was in the movie. Actually, the entire scene was "different" than the movie, despite being very similar.
Zippyshare.com - Godzilla.mp4

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Oh, if you haven't seen it, this is the announcement trailer from Comic Con 2012. This trailer is not available on Youtube (it's instantly pulled down).

I'm putting the link behind a spoiler wall, because it's technically a spoiler, yet also a fake out.
It's technically a spoiler because it's 2 scenes. One about 40% through the film, and the other at about 99.5% through it.
What makes it a fake out is that the dead monster on the ground isn't what was in the movie. Actually, the entire scene was "different" than the movie, despite being very similar.
Zippyshare.com - Godzilla.mp4
I don't think a single shot from that trailer actually showed up in the movie as is, there is either going to be a lot of deleted scenes on the blu ray, or that was a deliberate fakeout.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Okay, saw the movie last night. Liked it a lot.

Agree with most of what I've read here. The movie delivers in a big way with the visuals and the climactic battle. Some of the human element parts felt under done. Well worth a trip to see it on the big screen.

- Bryan Cranston, all his stuff was really good. Sure he was upset a lot, but the part that he played: An obsessed man who can't leave his past behind and kept pushing for the truth, made a lot of sense in the situation.
- Every second that Godzilla was on screen!!!
- That moment where the blue glow rippled up through Godzilla's spines. I'm like "Oh shit yeah here it comes!" Blast!!!
- Effects shots that weren't just a functional thing, but a well worked out and 'art designed' moment of visual beauty.
- The design of the MUTO was really cool, they looked evil and tough. When you think of how silly some of the Japanese Godzilla beasts looked.
- They used the older style of: don't reveal the monster right away, build it up. Good choice.
- The monster on monster fights felt that they had the right size and power and destruction of something of that size.

Minor un-likes:

- Bryan Cranston's character dies. There would have been no change to the film if his character had lived and been there at the end and being part of the process.
- Felt that they stretched believability a bit much with the son being sort of everywhere when something happened. A good 'for instance' is the Hawaii stuff, the events could have been all the same just without him there. The son's presence there wasn't needed or critical, it didn't do anything like add to his knowledge of the MUTO or Godzilla.
- Oh yeah they did kind of cut away just as the Hawaii fight was getting started. meh on that one.
- And a final thing, maybe just me, but I felt that the reveal or the delivery of the facts/plot notions was sort of clunky or paced a bit difficult. This is real hard to explain really . . . but I just felt that they took a harder road to get there than they needed. We just got scenes here or there with a bunch of exposition delivered as science (in the film) things that could have been played out easier or something by having that just happen on screen and we the audience work it out as we see it.- Again hard to explain what I mean, it was just a feeling of 'this could be less work to get to where we need to be'

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
On second thought, looking at that old comic con trailer again, you're right. Pretty much the entire thing was fake footage. There weren't nearly as many people looming around in most scenes.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was trying to figure out what insect the baddy from the new Godzilla looked like.
And this is the first thing that popped into my head.
battletank.png