Going cash?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hi all,

Is anyone else a bit paranoid about what may happen over the next couple of weeks with their investments? I've been thinking of going "all cash" (just sell out to a money market account) this week. I don't mind if I miss a small rally, but I'd rather not see another 2008/2009. Thoughts?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
lol man, I'm going to quote you when the stock market takes yet another shit because all of our assholes in DC can't agree on anything.
smile.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
You should consider a tin foil index fund, or a sandwich heavy portfolio for the hungry investor.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I came here to say this.

Honestly, it's probably not too stupid to move at least a portion of your equities into cash or bonds, but moving itallto cash is tantamount to hiding-in-a-bunker paranoia. I'll be leaving 95% of mine in equity index funds. May god have mercy on my soul.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hi all,

Is anyone else a bit paranoid about what may happen over the next couple of weeks with their investments? I've been thinking of going "all cash" (just sell out to a money market account) this week. I don't mind if I miss a small rally, but I'd rather not see another 2008/2009. Thoughts?
If you are in any sort of funds, you can assume they've already moved into defensive positions. That is, unless they are run by retards.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Clearly, cash is for retards. Better to start a company making skateboard cameras or pantyhose without feet. Then, $billion$

Me? I invented the boomerang rubber band.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Doctors are notorious for making bad financial decisions, you should know that. In general you're better off doing the exact opposite of what you think is best and you will likely be better off

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Unless you're planning to retire in the next 6 months don't worry about it.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Hi all,

Imo....

Don't worry so much about what the market is going to do over the next month or so, but look longer term.

If you were planning to sell like within the next year anyways, then sell now. Your taxes on capital gain is going to double or triple next year, so if you were planning on getting out of the market, or to decrease your market presence, now would be the time.

But don't do it because you think the market is gonna tank over the next month, or even year. Even if it does, cash (imo again) is a horrible position to take. If you feel, as I do, that we are headed for inflation over the next few years, then cash will become less and less valuable. I personally am putting more in gold/silver, also in tax-free municipal bonds....both are long term outlooks. I haven't, nor do I plan to, "sell out" of the market, but I haven't added anything substantial to my brokerage accounts in a while.

I believe you are youngish.....like in your 30s? That would be even less reason to get out, at least completely, you have decades to go before retirement, and even with the increased taxes and any possible recession...by the time you do retire, you will have seen many ups and downs in the market, and having ridden it all out, your final nest egg should be fine. Make sure you are properly diversified, that you don't have all your eggs in one basket (like the stock market), and I think you should be fine.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you were planning to sell like within the next year anyways, then sell now. Your taxes on capital gain is going to double or triple next year, so if you were planning on getting out of the market, or to decrease your market presence, now would be the time.
No

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
No, capital gains taxes aren't going to double or triple, or no, don't sell even if you were planning on selling anyways?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I sold out a lot of positioned and transferred about $90,000 just yesterday.

=)

opiate82

Bronze Squire
If you are in it for the long haul, then worrying about what will amount to a temporary anomaly in your investment performance isn't worth trying to time the market. If the market does crash, just use the opportunity to get some more money in there.

Elerion

N00b
The market has priced in a reasonable risk of the cliff negotiations failing.

Unless you think you know something other people don't, hold your horses. Weight down a bit if you want, but don't go all cash. Like Eomer said, market timing is not a good investment strategy (for 99% of us).