Going cash?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I already stated in my post that I was cherry picking periods, the point is that to participate in the market is always a matter of timing. People dont control when they were born and when they start their careers and often when they end. Many people were taught buy and hold meant you made money, the truth is that it helps but you could still get royally goat fucked depending on when you entered and left the market even if you held for a decade.

I'm a big fan of buying index funds and/or target retirement funds but I think with time and education it's possible to make some investment decisions to turn things "slightly" more in your favor. If the S&P 500 is trading at an 18 PE well then unless I think we are about to have the mother of all productivity increases I'm going to reduce my positions, and if the market is trading at a PE of 11 then unless I think Glenn Beck is right and this country is utterly doomed then I'm going to increase my stock positions. I don't believe that is reckless investing.

One of the other ways to protect your selves form spikes is to always be buying. Dollar cost averaging greatly reduces period risk, the dangerous game is taking large sums in and out of the market in a short time frame. Murphy will fuck you every time.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Blazin_sl said:
Many people were taught buy and hold meant you made money, the truth is that it helps but you could still get royally goat fucked depending on when you entered and left the market even if you held for a decade.
Very few people are going to be entering and exiting the market with their entire investment at the same time. Which you agree with later in your post anyway, but I felt it worth pointing out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Buy an hold baby! In twelve years you too can break even with this strategy.
I think if you made it through 2 of the worst recessions in the history of the US which we still haven't fully recovered from and didn't lose any money you should be pretty darn happy. There are tons of people who invested in real estate who would be thrilled with the returns from index funds right about now.

Chaotic_sl

shitlord
There is something to be said for timing in terms of what blazin said. I made a decision to put my real estate endeavors on hold, and this turned up a ton of free cash. I had read a number of books, and I knew I was going for a straight S&P index fund with the smallest expense ratio possible. In this circumstance it was (is) Vanguard S&P Admiral index fund. I sat and watched for at least half a year, mostly worried with what would happen with Greece and in turn the EU and its impact on US markets.

I forget what the exact event was, I want to say it was an election that ended in a more partisan Greece government, and the odds of them accepting a bailout or some such reduced drastically. The markets took a shit. I jumped in then, I want to say S&P was at 1260 ish. This was May / June. Since then I put $500 every pay check into it, every pay day, no matter what, and I reinvest dividends. Logged in right now, and since inception I am up:

$8,184.91

So I timed to the best of my ability, and arguably lucked out, and since then I don't time shit and just go with it. I was tempted to "Go cash" (hence why I was following this thread) and i'm glad I didn't. That was a lesson I learned without having to feel the pain of it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Nobody disputes that your entry and exit from the market can have a huge influence on your returns. The dispute is about whether the average joe should attempt to time them.

Elerion

N00b
Yep, the fact that timing entry and exit has a huge influence on your returns is precisely the reason 99% of investors should avoid it. The effect on your future wealth is too big, and the learning experience is limited. The vast majority of market movements are caused by events that are unknown at the time of investment. Considering most of the money out there is managed by people with better information than you, the chance of you timing it correctly is less than 50%.

Playing around with buying/selling individual stocks is also unlikely to net excess returns for your average Joe, but as long as you stay diversified and don't get buried in fees, it won't make a massive difference either. That's why I tell friends that are interested in learning about investing to allocate a small part of their portfolio to do some medium-term trading, if they think it will be fun. Diversified stock picking is a cheap hobby that could potentially pay out a lottery ticket once in a while, and will teach you a lot about how companies work.

TLDR; Don't do macro bets / time your investments. If you want to play with the market, try stock picking with a small part (5-20%) of your portfolio. Just remember that even if you luck out and strike gold on those stock picks, you're still no more likely to do so in the future. Don't fall for the temptation of moving a larger part of your portfolio into the stock picking game.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought you rolled it over into the Glenn Beck 2040 Aggressive Growth fund and bought a 50cal and some assault rifles?