Going to College as an Adult

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
159/161 unofficial. I'm disappointed but I only really put 3 or 4 days into actual studying so I shouldnt expect any better. My first quant question was planar geometry. Speaking as someone who already has a master degree, with a very few exceptions (like STEM), this test has fuck-all to do with how one will perform in most grad school programs.
I bombed my orgo test just now :D RIP life.

That GRE score should be fine for a non quant PhD, no?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I believe. Long story short, after i failed to convince the school to waive my GRE since I have a Masters in the same field I want to get the PhD, the admissions chair told me to just take it cold so I had a score otherwise some of the selection committee would vote no based solely on me not having a score. I "should" be fine. It just annoys me a bit that if I had the months to study that kids normally do, I would have come close to 170/170.

Sorry about the org test.
Thanks. Its ok though, I have 3 more next week. YES 3 MORE. 3 more chances to bomb. FML.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animale

Trakanon Raider
I bombed my orgo test just now :D RIP life.

That GRE score should be fine for a non quant PhD, no?
Man, orgo isn't hard unless you try to brute force/memorize it. Learn the language first (how to draw bonds, arrows, etc.). Then basically identify the nucleophile and the electrophile and let them react to one another - pushing the electrons lower in energy until everything finishes up. This is correct 95+% of the time, so unless your prof is a complete dork about the ~5% of exceptions then you're golden. The remaining exceptions aren't that extensive and often fall into groupings themselves.

In short, flashcarding your way through orgo is nothing but pain for all involved - learn the reactivity rule(s) and follow them when you do it next time!

Of course, I have a Ph.D. in chemistry so your mileage may vary......

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Man, orgo isn't hard unless you try to brute force/memorize it. Learn the language first (how to draw bonds, arrows, etc.). Then basically identify the nucleophile and the electrophile and let them react to one another - pushing the electrons lower in energy until everything finishes up. This is correct 95+% of the time, so unless your prof is a complete dork about the ~5% of exceptions then you're golden. The remaining exceptions aren't that extensive and often fall into groupings themselves.

In short, flashcarding your way through orgo is nothing but pain for all involved - learn the reactivity rule(s) and follow them when you do it next time!

Of course, I have a Ph.D. in chemistry so your mileage may vary......
Yeah that sounds nice except thats not how tests go. Most of the questions today involved a molecule and 5-6 reagents all leading to a product we had to identify together with the name of the reaction. There were maybe two mechanisms and those were fairly short and easy. It seems I was expected to basically memorize like 30 mechanisms and fuck that. If we were actually given time to sit there, draw out the reactions until we reach the final product then this wouldnt be an issue and what you said can be done. But nope, time limit and a retard test designed to be finished in that time limit and not faster. Fuck this garbage subject with a rusty dildo, I have never attempted to study anything so trash in my 300 credits.

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that sounds nice except thats not how tests go. Most of the questions today involved a molecule and 5-6 reagents all leading to a product we had to identify together with the name of the reaction. There were maybe two mechanisms and those were fairly short and easy. It seems I was expected to basically memorize like 30 mechanisms and fuck that. If we were actually given time to sit there, draw out the reactions until we reach the final product then this wouldnt be an issue and what you said can be done. But nope, time limit and a retard test designed to be finished in that time limit and not faster. Fuck this garbage subject with a rusty dildo, I have never attempted to study anything so trash in my 300 credits.
Naming reactions is total bullshit for entry level courses. Doesn’t help understanding, I’m sorry your prof is stupid old school. Naming can be important later, but in orgo 1 it’s a waste. (Reagent choice is fair game tho).

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Naming reactions is total bullshit for entry level courses. Doesn’t help understanding, I’m sorry your prof is stupid old school. Naming can be important later, but in orgo 1 it’s a waste. (Reagent choice is fair game tho).
He gave us regents and reactants and asked for products, 80% of the questions were like this. I am perfectly happy sitting there and taking one step at a time and trying to figure out wtf we end up with but there is no time, have to rush straight to the end. Whatever, I am just salty as I put in tons of work into this shit and get terrible results, at least by my standards. I have a quiz and a final in this poo next week and a lab final as well. Also microbio lab final in there somewhere too :D And then PDE and microbio final the weekend after that. And this is to say nothing about my bioinformatics research thats stagnating. Kids, dont take 17 STEM credits as an adult with a job and a mortgage and no support.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Lawl. He is one of those white latin dudes; cuban most likely. I bet he has a collection of MAGA hats at home.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm currently 38 years old. I'll be 39 the end of August. Anyway, after graduating High School, my parents told me College was a waste of time. I was working for the family business, and I always would be, so why worry about College? Anyway, a few years ago I decided to upend my life and move out to Hawaii with my wife and daughter. Life in Philadelphia was all that I ever knew, but I fell in love with the scenery and friendliness of the locals when I came here on a vacation. Also, stress levels didn't really seem to exist out here they way they do on the main land (continental US).

Well, since moving here, I've been a disaster. Financially speaking. I had 20 years working for my family business, and I worked my way up to Vice-President, but honestly... it was in name alone. I didn't have any authority over others. But I was very good at problem solving when it came to handling customers, so that's a plus. However, those "family business VP" skills didn't appear to translate out here. I tried retail sales, which I enjoyed. Maybe because it was something different. But I'm not into playing the gossip game with other employees, which singled me out. I moved on a little later.
Then I decided to become a Realtor. Using my history in Sales (as the VP), as well as the retail sales, I figured it was only natural. I tried for a while, but it turns out that I'm not meant to be a realtor either. I enjoy the work, but I'm not the best at connecting with new potential clients. And most agents won't really allow you to follow them around, so you're pretty much on your own.

While acting as a Realtor, I needed another job that gave me SOME income. Real Estate is a gig that pays $0 unless you're closing a deal. Either buying or selling houses. Or rentals, if that's your thing. It's a 100% commission type of career. That brings us to Lyft. I actually like being a driver, go figure. I get to meet a lot of new people (and I used to give out business cards to ALL of my riders), and it's something I really like. What I don't like, however, is the wear and tear your vehicle suffers. It's VERY easy to drive 50-60k miles in a year. That's pretty fucking crazy. Especially with your own vehicle. And you're completely fucked if ANYTHING happens to your vehicle. For example, I purchased a used mini-van. Initially I got it for the option of getting better rides with Lyft, but it turns out I REALLY like this vehicle due to all of the bells and whistles (and technology) it offers. But someone ran into me right before NYE, nearly tearing one of the sliding doors off in the process. I waited forever for insurance to finally respond that they felt they had no liability in the situation. I'm still battling them now to get it resolved, but I'm done driving. It just isn't worth the frustration. Not to mention, this is a gig that doesn't do ANYTHING for the drivers. And the company Lyft takes 40-60% of the total from EVERY ride. No exceptions. So a ride that may cost the customer $25 will usually land me between $10-15. Factor in your gas mileage, insurance, tires and any possible damage to your vehicle and it's a losing gig. Not to mention, you're completely on your own for vacation (ha), or being hurt. All of your income reaches $0 the moment you aren't driving for the company. So it's a great gig for extra cash, but NOT a career by any stretch of the imagination.

This brings us to now. I'm extremely mechanically inclined. I'm very good at understanding how things work, and I'm good at self-teaching myself. But I decided that I should finally attend college and start out a new mid life career. And honestly, I can picture myself being an Engineer for the rest of my life. And I've been told that the degree offered by the local university is pretty good. So I think it's finally time to figure out my future. A legit career that would be good to me and my family for the rest of my life. I have a sit-down with the university on the 6th to discuss that future. And classes will start up in August, so I have quite a bit of time to go... but at least it's working towards a goal. And realistically, I could go to community college for the "normal" classes, then transfer over once I've done those pointless credits. I'm tired of just wasting my time without any clear goal in life. I think this would be a great next step.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh yeah. I've thought about numerous other careers with easier cost of entry. Real Estate for example, and that hasn't worked out very well. But other options are Electrician or Plumber. There's the potential for great income doing that, but it's something that can beat the hell out of your body. I have Multiple Sclerosis, which has the possibility of making me wheelchair bound in the future. It's unlikely, but it's still a risk. With that in mind, getting a blue collar job wouldn't offer me the long term stability that a white collar job would do. Especially if something were to happen that could leave me disabled. Not a good idea to go for blue collar while keeping that in mind.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Xarpolis Xarpolis you sound like you're in a position where you could reasonably just enroll in college and start knocking out your first couple years of general education in undergrad... Classes you'll have to take no matter what degree you're pursuing. Just getting back into school and talking with your professors and the student advisors might give you a better idea of what to do with your life.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Indeed. Isn't it strange that you're required to take general education classes for every degree? Why don't they have "fast track" classes that eliminate the busy work classes that won't help your chosen degree only to focus on the meat of it?

• 1Truth!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Don't just "wing it" by just taking classes and figuring it out as you go. That's what I did and although I got many accolades, research opportunities, NSF grants, and had the best time of my life I ended being 40 years old trying to start a career that only payed $35k/year. Ultimately I ended up doing the same thing I was doing before getting my Bachelor's, albeit at a much higher level and pay rate.

My advice would be to first comb the available jobs where you want to live and see what they pay and what the work entails. Then once you've found the career you want, tailor your degree to that.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Definitely start knocking out those shitty "core" classes at a community college on the cheap. Most states if you transfer enough of those with a GPA 3.5+ to a state University its worth a couple grand per semester in tuirion assistance.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Indeed. Isn't it strange that you're required to take general education classes for every degree? Why don't they have "fast track" classes that eliminate the busy work classes that won't help your chosen degree only to focus on the meat of it?

This is why I hated university. 60% of your degree is pointless garbage. Do CLEP tests mang. Thank me later. You can eliminate all general ed classes in just a few months and they're GPA neutral. While they were free for me in the Army at the time I believe the retail cost per test is $100 each.

Even more hilarious is that they are multiple choice and you only need to get 50% of the questions right to pass. They are pass/fail GPA neutral and universities outside of private ones are forced to take them. Because they are made by the same company that makes the SAT.

The, "mapping" is a bit different though. So be sure to go and see which applies to which.

If you are going to join us in the software engineering field. 100% of that shit is free online to learn and that is where you will learn the majority of your skills. I know I did. Where would I be without stackoverflow.com? Myself and the entire software industry lol. See if you like coding and all because its a lot of frustration and making incremental improvements day to day.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they have to. But what I am saying is that the CLEP for say, Chemistry, may not be a 1:1 with their Chemistry at the university. They usually have a mapping list. If not you're going to have to call them and go down the Gen Ed one by one as they give you a straight answer.

I can't recommend them enough. I studied for like a week for each one then passed it. Any idiot can get 50% on a test with knowing almost nothing about the subject lol.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If you're able to do 100% of all GE classes with CLEP, what type of realistic time reduction would you be for a standard Bachelors degree? (IE: 4-years)

And because the "new" students start in August, I have 7 months to tear threw CLEP and accumulate as many credits as possible ahead of time.