Going to College as an Adult

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How did you like the Grad center? I'm going to an open house next month for the Poli Sci PhD program there.
I took some classes there, also gave a presentation of a project at one of the math seminars. I also go there to study at the library when I feel like being in, or am already in Manhattan. Did two seperate research projects there with two different people as well. Doing a research work now with two Professors but at one of their home institutions, not so much the grad center. Oh also have visited there for some seminars and talks. The building is nice and clean, the location is great. What matters though are the people, the students and the Professors and they are interesting, interested and curious which is all one needs in such a place. If I wasn't paranoid about being poor, I would be in a place like that. Almost at a point where I am comfortable enough to quit working and go to grad school though so soon, very soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I never finished mt degree. I've been with my company (big) for about 20 years and not sure how many even know. My current role was previously held by a west point grad, then 2 MBA guys before him.

I've debated going back, nights or online. But honestly, only having an mba would make any diff.
I did u of Phoenix about 15 years ago. Holy shit a waste of $$.

Im jaded
So, true story, I got roped into doing ITT Tech way back in the day by other sysadmins. I realized quickly that shit was a scam, only did one semester, or quarter, whatever the fuck it was. But there's this group within IT that will tell people that college doesn't matter, just the fact that you have a degree, whether it's from Phoenix or <insert state school> it doesn't matter unless it's some ivy league shit, so fuck it, go lowest effort. I was the first person in my family to go to college, no one gave me any advice worth using in my family or among my friends at that age.

Only silver lining is that at least when I run into people at work talking about trying to get a degree I can warn them off that shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is a big thing. Now that going to college is as easy as asking to borrow money, for profit scam schools are a big issue. And as you said, most folks dont understand higher education or the pedigree of your school making a difference. I'm not alluding to the Ivy's but the difference between ITT/Phoenix and basically any state university. Even if you go to some low end State U, it is still a State U and you are getting a qualified education.

I totally support trade skill folks as an alternative to school. God knows Plumbers and Master Electricians are worth their weight in gold and make damn good livings while at the same time providing a road to small business ownership.

But for adults working no future jobs (as opposed to careers) trade skills or education are a must to get out of the bottom rung.
Yeah. I've always wondered if people who grew up in other places or with other families had legit guidance as a teen as to how the world would be, career paths, education, etc. I feel like I had nothing, no doubt I was involved in some shit as a teen but I feel like 1 good conversation could have straightened this shit out for me and it just never happened. You see these scammy schools making a fortune, so it definitely can't just be me that had no idea wtf to do. I had no concept about trade skills, given that option I might have gone that route and things would have been a lot different.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i'm debating going back to school for my degree. it would be online if i did do it- i am 53 atm.

Umaine's
Bachelor of Science in Surveying Engineering Technology

course is 375 dollars a credit. 125 credits, i have 50 something previously from ~20 years ago when i went to umass lowell/university of lowell that hopefully will xfer over.

looking over their courses i'd pretty much ace all the surveying/engineering courses.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
personal desire to learn a few things in my profession. hell i have been working in the profession for 45years, might as well get the degree (yes i started when i was 8 -i'd go out on saturdays with my father to do survey jobs)

i have a certificate in surveying and in 3 weeks am taking the Licensure test to become a PLS (able to stamp plans)

well that and the fact that all this new shit is coming out for my profession and i hack job it decently and want to do better.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know 2 professional surveyers. They both own their own surverying company. One got his degree the year I did and one 20 years previous. Both got degrees frame the same college I went to in forest management oddly enough. We had to take an intro to surverying course I guess is where they got the interest. The one that got his degree 45 years ago took an early retirement after we had a fracking boom and the backlog went on forever on surveys. At the same time he was the county surveryer. Sent both his kids to get architectural degrees at A&M said they had no interest in surverying and now his company is up for sale.

Ghidorah

Trakanon Raider
I decided to start college last year at 33, aiming to complete an AS at a community college and then transfer to a university. I’m hoping to major in computer science, I can take mirror copies of the first four CS courses from the university at my comm. college (up to and including discrete math).

It’s been a fun time, I do way better in my classes than I did in high school. Only downside is I felt like wow classic could get to be too big of a distraction and had to uninstall, much sad.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
LAND Survey for the next 15 years is projected at 15% growth minimum

the AVERAGE professional land surveyor(someone who can stamp plans) is 55+

our old land surveyor - who died 2 years ago- was still working at 92! he worked until about a month before dying.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There is is no good thread for this so I am going to whine here.

Fuck organic chemistry with an aids dick. I don't think I have ever hated a class as much as I hate this shit. The flames of my hatred can melt mother fucking steal beams at this point. I am just sitting here drilling mechanisms over and over for the next 48 hours and I am pretty certain that once this is over I will be on the news stabbing a baby.

Teh end.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I feel for you. There are certain cockblock classes for some fields. Organic Chem, anatomy and physiology and fluid dynamics come to mind as some of the more popular ones.

If it makes you feel any better, I am studying to take the GRE on Monday. Even though I have a bachelors with a 4.0 in a quant field, a Masters in the field I am applying to also with a 4.0, the school refuses to waive my GRE because... "we dont make exceptions". When i countered with my last grad school waived it based on my perfect score bachelors in a math intensive field and I banged a 4.0 in that grad program they responded with "we dont make exceptions". Fucking academic douchebags.

Back to rememorizing geometry formulas I havent looked at in 30 years. 😖
I have never experienced anything like this before. It's not that the class is overly difficult, it's that I fucking despise it, I can't stand learning this shit as I actively hate every second of it. I wish I was taking fluid dynamics instead as I am crushing my PDE class with zero effort lol.

Good luck on your GRE!

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Everyone going back to school I now suddenly. Friend is going back to get his PhD in nursing management paid for by the company he works for.

Wife is going back to get a masters degree paid for by the university she works for.

I'd be real hard to think about going to get a MS at age 45, but whatever makes her happy.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have never experienced anything like this before. It's not that the class is overly difficult, it's that I fucking despise it, I can't stand learning this shit as I actively hate every second of it. I wish I was taking fluid dynamics instead as I am crushing my PDE class with zero effort lol.

Good luck on your GRE!
Everyone has certain things that make them recoil. For me it was Diff Eq. I tried it a couple times then gave up.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you work and want to go to / back to school, your company might have a reimbursement program.

I got about half of my undergrad degree paid for by my employer. I'm considering going back for an MS as my employer now will pay for it.

They have an awesome deal on an online MS CS from GA Tech. I'm just not sure if I want to make the time.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I dropped out of college at 19 and have taken a course here or there over the last 10 years and basically have an AA. I work as a system admin but am thinking of just banging out an English degree online at ASU or something since 1) there's a 0% chance of me physically going to a college and taking math classes and the like for a CS (not to mention it's totally irrelvevant to my position) and 2) as I'm trying to enter management / director's role, 90% of that is communicating via project notes and meetings anyway.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I dropped out of college at 19 and have taken a course here or there over the last 10 years and basically have an AA. I work as a system admin but am thinking of just banging out an English degree online at ASU or something since 1) there's a 0% chance of me physically going to a college and taking math classes and the like for a CS (not to mention it's totally irrelvevant to my position) and 2) as I'm trying to enter management / director's role, 90% of that is communicating via project notes and meetings anyway.
Uhhh I doubt shit like critical analysis of Paradise Lost is going to make your communication abilities better. Maybe do like a philosophy degree or something if that’s your goal.