Going to College as an Adult

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This guy just wants knowledge man haha.

I considered that path before too but they talked me out of it when mentioning I'd more than likely be teaching. I mean, not a bad thing if that's what you want but after 6 years in school I was tired of academia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Animale Animale Any idea about how the plane of an aromatic ring is computed? Its never in a purely flat conformation but any idea if, for computational purposes, its assumed that the ring is flat? I am searching for potential pi-pi interactions in a protein-RNA complex, of which I have 3d coordinates, and need to compute the planes the rings lie in in order to determine the angle between them. The angle sizes are fairly permissible so I am just going to yolo it and approximate the planes with averages of vectors for the atoms of the rings but was wondering if there is a better way and my google foo is failing.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone here have knowledge going to law school or know someone who has?

a friend of mine is considering it: he already has a bachelors in education at age 38. What’s the fastest he could possibly obtain a law degree?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, after years of living for two not so great ex wives that left me undesirable as a professional and I had to eek out my own niche and living over the years, I made the decision to go to college at the age of 38 almost two years ago. Ive been going to just a crappy online school (SNHU) while I have maintained a GPA of 3.782 with the hope of getting into a major university, more specifically the one my wife works at because I get half off tuition.

I applied a few weeks ago and my application has been under review and I was told I should have an answer on it soon. IT may not seem like a huge deal, but I was a fuck up back in high school and I've been very proud of myself for the work I've done so far (something I don't say about myself often). Hopefully, I get in and can work toward finishing my degree.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So, after years of living for two not so great ex wives that left me undesirable as a professional and I had to eek out my own niche and living over the years, I made the decision to go to college at the age of 38 almost two years ago. Ive been going to just a crappy online school (SNHU) while I have maintained a GPA of 3.782 with the hope of getting into a major university, more specifically the one my wife works at because I get half off tuition.

I applied a few weeks ago and my application has been under review and I was told I should have an answer on it soon. IT may not seem like a huge deal, but I was a fuck up back in high school and I've been very proud of myself for the work I've done so far (something I don't say about myself often). Hopefully, I get in and can work toward finishing my degree.
What are you trying to get a degree in?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Assuming you arent trying to get into a tier 1 school, if you have a decent amount of college credits at that GPA, it should be a slam dunk to get in. Once you have an actual college degree (like an AA), they dont even look at your high school transcripts. What university did you apply to?

Michigan State, which has the #1 program in my state and one of the top in the country which is another reason I wanna go there...and I don’t have my AA yet, hence my apprehension thus far.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
As an update on my own college journey, I have decided to turn down the offer I got for a PhD program. I just don't fit ideologically with the faculty and I think the last straw was a faculty member tweeting advice to Antifa members on the best way of pulling down statues (and of course no backlash from the school for doing so) just killed it for me.

I am not happy with the majority of schools here in NY, so I started a project examining out-of-state tuition rates for online degrees. I found a handful of schools in state university systems that either don't charge out-of-state tuition for online programs or only charge a nominal fee above in-state rates. University of Texas at Permian is one such school and I am starting their online MBA this month at in-state tuition rates. Its worth a look for anyone in the market for an online MBA from an accredited state university.
Ya I don't know why anyone would pay on campus tuition in our current situation. Tuition rates for online degrees seem to be significantly less even from universities that offer online vs in person. Good info on the mba program. I'd like to get my MBA one day prob.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ya I don't know why anyone would pay on campus tuition in our current situation. Tuition rates for online degrees seem to be significantly less even from universities that offer online vs in person. Good info on the mba program. I'd like to get my MBA one day prob.
In my situation my campus tuition will be almost half the price as a reputable online school.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
In my situation my campus tuition will be almost half the price as a reputable online school.
There's exceptions for sure. My only concern right now would be how well the school transitioned to online (if they're not doing on campus).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The good news for you is your aren't apping to the program just the school. My advice would be the following... If you don't get in this go around, just focus on getting your AA with the highest GPA you can and then transfer in with a degree. it is much easier to get in as a degree holding transfer student. I am curious. its august and you haven't got a decision. What semester did you try to get in for? Fall semester decisons should have been done months ago?

for Transfers they decide on Fall all the way up till the 3rd week of aug. which I was told they’d be decided on well before then. for Freshmen the cutoff was last December.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
As an update on my own college journey, I have decided to turn down the offer I got for a PhD program. I just don't fit ideologically with the faculty and I think the last straw was a faculty member tweeting advice to Antifa members on the best way of pulling down statues (and of course no backlash from the school for doing so) just killed it for me.

I am not happy with the majority of schools here in NY, so I started a project examining out-of-state tuition rates for online degrees. I found a handful of schools in state university systems that either don't charge out-of-state tuition for online programs or only charge a nominal fee above in-state rates. University of Texas at Permian is one such school and I am starting their online MBA this month at in-state tuition rates. Its worth a look for anyone in the market for an online MBA from an accredited state university.
Yeah this part sucks donkey balls.