Going to College as an Adult

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Generally yes... except for MBA's. Online MBA programs are seen as cash cows for many universities and they put them in the "Cadillac" category with other "Executive" MBA programs. The one I found at UT at Permian is 10k for the online MBA. They expanded their programs with all the shale money flowing into the region and cut out-of-state penalties due to so many shale people not being TX residents.
Does their MBA have a focus on Oil and Gas?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
No... but there do have electives available for the energy industry. So you could do the MBA and take the energy classes as electives. They have the base MBA and an MBA in Finance.
Been thinking about upgrading my bona fides. I do have the free time to knock one out. I wonder what a guy with a BS in Bio, an online MBA, and 20 years in the pool business would qualify for. $10k isnt bad at all.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The local directional school here is offering 1/2 price tuition l for those returning to finish a degree they started "earlier". They really didn't specify how much earlier. Guessing a large part of the fall is going to be remote learning. Not a tier 1 MBA in the least but might be an option for someone. I never could find if it was for this fall only or what.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Few posts/pages back someone briught up Western Governor's University. They do a per semester fee and let you take as uch as you want.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Im not knocking it, but 1st choice for me would always be a school in a state university system. In-state tuition at most state schools is very reasonable.
Think WGU is only a couple K per semester, on par with the last community college I went to, anyways. Think I might start digging more and start looking into my current employer's education assistance.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
WGU is particularly good for IT, there are some degree programs that you come out of with your degree, but also several certs that are baked into the program.

I don't know what the job market is going to look like 10 years from now, if a degree will still be worth it. I think about it sometimes though. It took a good chunk of money on top of my remaining GI Bill money to get a masters and tbh I don't know if it has helped me that much. Hasn't hurt, I don't think.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
6k to stream classes this semester. Relatively cheap but 6k is 6k. Mmmmm.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
First day of video classes is poop. I don’t like zoom lectures, they feel....weird? Also wish I could 1.5x speed this shit. Ugh.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
First day of video classes is poop. I don’t like zoom lectures, they feel....weird? Also wish I could 1.5x speed this shit. Ugh.
I guess the above impression is a result of Professors. Professor in todays class was excellent. Lecturing to a camera with no feedback seems shitty for some people and I can relate to that. Online classes arent all bad then, still better in person. Poo

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

1599077290425.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I started my online MBA last week. The first week took a little adjusting to get back into the swing of school. Doing the accelerated program was a little jarring as well. I got the pace down this week once i put my head down and mapped out what I needed to do when instead of half-assing it. Already enjoying the tears of my compadres in QMB (quantitative Methods for Business) complaining about doing basic algebra to figure out productivity models. I look at my quant econ diploma on the wall and I be like...

View attachment 298896
Math tears are always the saltiest

• 1Worf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Fucking spent 6 hours failing to solve a problem that was review of fairly basic pre requisite material. Stayed up until fucking 5am trying to work it out. Today I retry it and solve within 10 minutes. Fucking old man brain is trash. Oh and now it’s past the homework submission time. Rage level is epic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I still need to get those As, feels like I am not trying otherwise and I hate that. Speaking of probability, one of the classes I am taking is stochastic processes and I fucking hate the intro probability problems that I had to review a few weeks ago. Holy shit am I bad at those. I am dunking on highly abstracts shit in my other classes but you ask me to pull a few balls out of some urns? Nope, fuck you..