"Good" games, that you hate.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm pretty sure it's just about universally considered the worst Final Fantasy entry.
No real argument...but I humbly submit this pile of shit for co-honors.

rrr_img_8837.jpg

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did you misread the thread? "Good" games, that you hate. I don't think anyone hasevercalled or considered FFXIII to be a good game. I'm pretty sure it's just about universally considered the worst Final Fantasy entry.

FFXIII-2, on the other hand, is a very good game.
Thanks. So after an awful experience with XIII should I start on XIII-2 ? It's that redeemable?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, XIII-2 fixes most of XIII's problems. It has real maps that are pretty good (no more long hallways that go on forever). It also has a pretty cool Chrono Trigger-like Time Gate system. The combat and classes are all unlocked from the get go and you can customize Serah and Noel however you want. Your third party member is a slot for Monters that you capture and raise and it's a pretty cool system. There's also tons of little side stuff and a bunch of Chrono Trigger-like "What if?" endings you can unlock.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Deus Ex 3(?) Whatever the newest one was. One of the highest reviewed most perfectest games ever. Couldn't stand it. Main gripes that I can recall was the obnoxious inventory management, terrible stealth mechanics, terrible AI and crappy shooting mechanics. Basically anything that involved the actual action portion of the game was medicore and boring.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I never understood all the hype about Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I played both a bit and got frustrated about the storystelling and combat. Really missed the freedom of Fallout 1/2 or BG 1/2. Fights were boring and the "You are the hero. Save the universe" is really annoying.

A mate played BG2 and he couldnt give 2 shits about the story and just slaughtered everything with his main + Korgan. Well, he had to reload here and there, because he killed important chars, but at least he had the freedom to completly fuck up whole cities.

Anyways, DA and ME are overrated.

^ Lol.

The problem with modern games is that a lot of modern gamers have never even heard of stuff like Baldur's Gate, let alone played it. So when something like Mass Effect or Deus Ex 3 comes along, they all go crazy for it because they've never seen anything like it. Those of us who grew up playing games like System Shock about 20 years ago just think it's all so lame. But it's the kidz of today who are the big game buyers so they get catered for.... hence all the over rated crap mentioned in this thread.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
And a lot of older folks have serious rose-colored glasses when thinking about those older games.

Xannder_sl

shitlord
Seriously, I grew up on those old school games and I still enjoyed Mass Effect and Dragon Age. My pick would be Wind Waker, everyone loved the game when it came out but once I got the Tri-force hunt I stopped playing and never came back.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't remember everyone loving Wind Waker. I remember really disliking it, because it was nothing but god damned shitty boring sailing.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
FF11 Online for me. I am sure it is a great MMO and looks good, but the chat system, targeting, and the god awful pause every time you take out, or put away your weapon drove me fucking crazy.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Witcher 2 is the worst "good" game I've played in a long time. Diablo 3 is a close second.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
....once I got the Tri-force hunt I stopped playing and never came back.
I had the same exact experience.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that wasn't a huge OoT fan.

For Hatred I'd go with:

Halo - Why Bungee didn't make some sequels to Pathways Into Darkness boggles my fucking mind. I guess money wise it worked out for them.

The Legend of Dragoon - I've met a lot of people that love this fucking game. The combat system was unbalanced garbage and the story was ridiculous.

Kingdom Hearts - I had to beat a bunch of levels for a girlfriend once. I personally hate disney characters and thought it was a pretty shitty action rpg

FFX - I hated Tidus. I remember him literally crying the whole game about getting beaten by his dad. It was a long time ago so I'm not sure if that was actually the case but ugh.

I actually kinda like FFVIII. The whole draw system was a ruse, you never actually had to draw (except for drawing GFs from bosses), it was all about turning random items into magic by leveling up the appropriate GFs to get their conversion skill. Junctioning was just plain awesome. Junction Pain (inflicted darkness, confusion, silence, poison) to your attack and virtually become a Marboro?? awesome. The first time I played through it I did actually hate it. It felt weirdly short and was a fucking slog at times (fuck the garden). It wasn't till the last few year when I started to appreciate it. I still remember the short "we're a posse bros" thing with Seifer during the ending.

Here's a fun quote from a bungee guy back in the day, which is pretty funny to me now given the number of halo sequels there are (and the number of marathon sequels there were).

IMG: Will there be a Pathways II?

Jones: I don't think that Bungie will ever publish a game called Pathways into Darkness II. There's a lot of reasons for that, one of them being that I tend to dislike sequels. Many times when a publisher comes out with a sequel to a game, it means that they made a lot of money on the first one and they're going to continue to publish similar games until everyone gets sick of them. Sometimes those games are actually fun, and the people who liked the first one also like the second one, but sometimes they're not. No, Bungie is not going to publish a Pathways II. A lot of cool things have happened with the rendering technology since Pathways shipped, and it suggests some different products which don't really fit into the Pathways world.

Moebiwan

shitlord
God of War 3. I didnt play either of the others due to not having whatever system they were on so I'm probably missing out on whatever sauce this series has which makes baby Jesus weep. Got a PS3 because of Demon's Souls, and when GoW 3 came out I decided to see what it was all about. I played it about 2 hours and that was that. Glad it was borrowed from a friend.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door. Thought it was going to be like Mario RPG on the SNES. Never played the N64 one. Hated every minute of it and it's considered really good. Back tracking through everything after every chapter got old really quick and in every title in that paper series they like to take away some functionality that is an RPG staple. Got so pissed at how ridiculous it all was and how much time I wasted. I have never felt more satisfied breaking that little gamecube game in half so I would never be tempted to pick it back up.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dead Space. I bought it during a steam sale because I heard it was really good. I don't know if it was all the Hype that my friends built up for it or what, but I played about 2-3 hours of it and never touched it again. It sucks too because my friends say Dead Space 2 was just as good, but since Dead Space left me with such a sour taste it makes me not even want to pick up the 2nd one.