"Good" games, that you hate.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Red Dead Redemption, everything sounds great about it but never could get into it. I liked Gun much better.

I can't seem to enjoy almost anything by Blizzard besides Diablo 1 and 2. WoW is something I tried to get into so many times because of friends playing. I had a built in raid guild and groups whenever I wanted and still just never could get into it. I feel that WoW is like the best and worst thing to ever happen to the MMO genre. The reaction to its success by other companies is simply the worst thing now though. Diablo 3 was an abomination, just boring and bland with completely arbitrary nonsense required to even play. Starcraft 2 never grabbed me, I don't see the revolution with this sequel at all.

The Witcher, I would rather just read the game than play it as that was the only part I enjoyed. I played even less of Witcher 2 before that got deleted from the HD.

Minecraft, what the hell is the appeal of this game? I really don't get it in the slightest. I liked Lego's as a kid and all but there is some disconnect here.

Elder Scrolls series Oblivion, Morrowind and especially Skyrim are just blandfests to me. I hate the combat and the skill use. I really dislike the leveling mechanic because in no way shape or form should I level up because I made 20 pairs of fucking leather gloves. I am not one of those gamers that has to have crazy graphics but TES games seem to have the ugliest motherfuckers in them. I have tried these games with all mods possible and still don't play past a few hours or 1 full night at the most.

I loved the original Fallout and Fallout 2. I hate Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I wanted to like these game so badly. I looked forward to them releasing and was just disappointed 100% when I finally played them. VATS is implemented terribly. Combat is the exact same after a few hours into each game. Why couldn't these games achieved what they should have?

There are more but I already rambled on too long in this post.

Marple_sl

shitlord
The entire Elder Scrolls series. All of them were mediocre and not deserving of the love they receive. The combat system is fucking awful.
This! I bought Skyrim on a Steam sale and haven't played much, maybe 45 mins but I really think it is overrated.

The Recent Call of Duty games and Medal of Honors , Borderlands 2 , all the Assassin Creed games after 2. I used to love me FPS games , my last favorite was Battlefield 2 , only because it reminded me how much i suck at FPS games now and it was the 1st and last game i used a aimbot for and man was that some good times. Nothing like using a saw and just destroying people on that tunnel conquest map or a mortar on that city map with the river in the middle and the 2 bridges.Yes i was a cheater , i dont care fuck those 16 year olds and their reflexes.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Demon's Souls.

Advocates of the game say it's challenging, I just found it to be a ball-ache to play with awkward controls and overly punishing on recovering from a death.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Witcher - really tedious gameplay with a murky storyline and too much running back and forwards with no idea where to proceed. The second game was awesome, however.

Oblivion - Worst of the ES games by a wide margin, horrible combat, the scaling system is absurd and the gameworld is crazy boring, just endless expanses of grass and trees. No idea how people play this for hours on end.

Mass Effect: Picked this up on steam a few months ago and really wanted to enjoy it, but the combat just kills it for me, it's so clunky and horribly designed. Seems like they couldn't decide if it's an RPG or a third person shooter, so my psychic dude ended up with 2 offensive spells with a 60 second cooldown and then spending the rest of combat trying to shoot people with guns which have a field of fire so wide you're lucky to hit a target one time in four at point blank range. wtf?

Borderlands: zzzz. The setting is cool, but the actual game plays like an FPS combined with the worst part of the grinding/messengerboy quests from an MMO.

Titan Quest: setting was cool, but horribly repetitive gameplay and shitty skill system in a far too linear gameworld.

Torchlight 2: I actually really liked the first one for what it was, but the second felt clunky and repetitive in comparison.

Deus Ex, whenever I read glowing praise for the game they always refer to it having genius level map design but to me every new area feels like I'm being shoved into a rat maze. After a while the game becomes more about just killing or knocking everything out just so you don't have to sneak around them for the umpteenth time while trying to find the exit.

Baldurs Gate 2, really really really hated the story in this game, it felt like they made a huge list of stuff to put in the game, made it all, and then said "Oh yeah we need to make a story too." then spackled one in around the edges. Really hate the character of Irenicus, his motive and involvement with you and the story, he was just like a half-assed character made entirely as a vehicle for OMG DAVID WARNER to emote over cheesy monologues for the few times in the game were he actually shows up.

Torchlight 2, it had pretty graphics and a lot of items and those were the only redeeming qualities. Tons of questionable mechanics and balance issues. Story that was so terrible the game would have been better without a story at all. Campaign you could play through in under an hour. Repetitive as fuck dungeons, one level, maybe two levels, then a big sign that says "BOSS ROOM". Playing through I told myself "Huh this dungeon design is a lot like Mythos" then was not surprised to find out the same team made Mythos, of course. Second chapter should not have even been made and the "fourth" was just one level over and over. Someone explain to me how you can make a dungeon full of platforms suspended over a sea of lava and then when you go downstairs there's another sea of lava? Wouldn't you be like, in lava if you went downstairs, unless the platforms were in bubbles but I digress.

Dragon Age, to sum it up an epic game that is never epic, like if Spinal Taps amps are built to go to 11 this game is build to go to 4-5 tops. Just kept plugging away at all thinking "Well maybe this next part will be awesome, okay maybe this next part, maybe this next part...." eighty hours later it never happened.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh yeah.. League of Legends, i never will understand the appeal of the MOBA genre, its flat out garbage to me

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Team Fortress 2. Simply dont get the appeal of it coming from a big time TF/TFC player. Biggest gripe about it was how much the maps where changed to their originals and the lack of grenades(fuck you consoles).

meddle_sl

shitlord
I find it hard to believe that people were bored by the combat in bioshock1. Unless you're playing on a trivial difficulty (unfortunately, most games "normal" difficulty is trivial by the average gamers' standard) there are tons of reasons to use trip wires/etc. I really can't recall, at any point, having the firepower to just blast a big daddy's head off without setting any traps or planning their demise. I also can't see any reason why someone would cheat through a game that is totally beatable, on hard difficulty, with only a few setbacks.

I usually don't have time to play a game twice, so I'll start with a "fuck are you serious?" difficulty and power through it. If you're gonna hate on bioshock, hate on it for the right reasons, like the vita chambers and the hacking. I'm guessing all folks who dislike bioshock made frequent use of the fuckin vita chambers.

As for games I dislike, I'm going to put another one for the assassin's creed series. I remember accidentally cheesing the final boss in 2 with throwing daggers- it was very anti-climactic. Then I spent five minutes punching his face in until I realized I had to do something to initiate a dialogue with said broken face. And that's 2; don't even get me started on 3, which I got for free with my 660ti. God damn, fuck a 6 hour prologue. I knew a programmer who was such an avid assassin's creed fan that his facebook profile was altiar and he literally wore a stupid wristband all the time. Like dogs, some people will worship a well-sculpted turd.

meddle_sl

shitlord
Also, I'll second the hate on team fortress 2. I really, really hate team fortress 2. It's so mundane and uninteresting.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Dark Souls - Nice setting, but the controls are pretty sluggish and the itemization is not so well-thought-out. Also people make this the second coming of a hard "MMO" (really people?!) and it boils down not falling off a cliff and reacting to monster moves that make mop dailies look challenging.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Not adding anything new but

Mass effect 3: obvious reasons

Fall out: NV: never ever realized why this was released as a full game instead of a big dlc.

Assassin's creed 1 and brotherhood. 1 for being kind of a lame game, and brotherhood for being just kind of boring

FF10: this might stem from the fact that when I was playing this through as a high schooler I spent one solid evening getting everyone's ultimate weapons. I got 5 of them and was about 150 into the lightning dodging when the power went out. Last save was 10 hours ago. Never picked it up again. Ff12 had a great gameplay system but the story was such crap that is kind of killed the series for me.

Needless

Toe Sucker
yeah no shit.. who doesn't save often in games, specially RPGs? haha

I face palmed the dude saying Dark Souls makes MoP dailies look hard. Righttttttttt

Siliconemelons

Grandia and Grandia 2... Good friend that is all like crazy into books and good RPGs is like the games come from jebus himself etc etc... 35min into Grandia 2 I call him up and say ' okay.. So this dude is the bad guy this happens and then this happens and who this dude is really the bad guy and trying to do shit for xyz reason ... Right...' .. He was silent then said ' no...well...yeah...your 95% right...'

count me in also on bioshock, oblivion and masseffect...and wow bc and onward.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
yeah no shit.. who doesn't save often in games, specially RPGs? haha

I face palmed the dude saying Dark Souls makes MoP dailies look hard. Righttttttttt
He probably killed the Asylum Demon, died on Taurus, and claimed the game was too easy.
wink.png

Dark Souls would have to take this one from me. I love the game, but some of the 'core' features are gimmicky ways to penalize you. Every soul and humanity you hold disappearing when you die, and then permanently disappearing if you don't make it back to it before dying again, is just a stupid fucking mechanic. Punishment is a good thing to give you a learning curve and some form of penalty for bad playing, but making it all or nothing turns it from a curve to a cliff. I can't count the number of times I've thrown my controller because I went from 30+ Humanity to 0 because of bad RNG during Hellkite kills post NG++, or 'It shouldn't of hit me but it did' grabs during IG or 4Kings.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
people sure love buzzwords. i don't see what's "gimmicky" about the game or how a significant death penalty is stupid. games are supposed to piss you off. visceral reactions like that are what make many games worth playing.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Every Elder Scrolls game, Fallout series, all the Guitar Hero type games, GTA series.
I didn't care for Elder Scrolls, either. I had buddies that would tell me "it takes like 10 hours to get into" like that was some defense, instead to me that sounded like they were ripping on the game without even knowing it. No game should take more 10-15 minutes to get into it.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Also, I'll second the hate on team fortress 2. I really, really hate team fortress 2. It's so mundane and uninteresting.
I fucking loved it for the first 2 years, but since they started adding items like every other week, it ran out of steam I think. Somebody should teach them about brevity, but I guess they like wearing hats made of money IRL. When you have every class with 10+ different weapons it's just a clusterfuck, there's not much skill involved.