Google Express (Amazon Prime competitor)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google Express

Instead of running their own warehouses like Amazon, Google is partnering up with existing merchants to deliver their goods, like Costco, Whole Foods, Walgreens, Kohls, Fry's, etc)

Being tested in several cities right now(it's active here in KC).

$99 for a year subscription for free 2-day delivery(like Prime) and even same-day delivery in some locations.

Currently there is a promotion for 6 free months of access using the code WELCOME

Current active locations:
Packages are landing in:
  • Arizona (overnight)
  • Arkansas (overnight and 2-day)
  • Boston (same-day)
  • Chicago (same-day and overnight)
  • Colorado (2-day)
  • Illinois (overnight)
  • Indiana (overnight)
  • Iowa (overnight and 2-day)
  • Kansas (overnight and 2-day)
  • Kentucky (overnight)
  • Louisiana (overnight and 2-day)
  • Manhattan (same-day)
  • Michigan (overnight and 2-day)
  • Minnesota (overnight and 2-day)
  • Mississippi (2-day)
  • Missouri (overnight and 2-day)
  • Nebraska (2-day)
  • Nevada (overnight)
  • New Mexico (2-day)
  • Northern California (same-day and overnight)
  • North Dakota (2-day)
  • Ohio (overnight and 2-day)
  • Oklahoma (Overnight and 2-day)
  • Southern California (same-day and overnight)
  • South Dakota (2-day)
  • Texas (Overnight and 2-day),
  • Washington, DC (same-day)
  • Wisconsin (overnight and 2-day)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Half the reason I have Amazon Prime is for access to Amazon Streaming Video and Amazon Music. Google either needs to lower their price point or add more incentives aside from shipping.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I agree at this point, unless the same-day delivery becomes more widespread(for no additional cost). That could be the difference that tips the scale in their favor.

I'm going to try it for a free 6 months though to see how much I use it

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's same day delivery here in SF. But this is home turf. I don't use it because of the other great offer Amazon provides with Prime. The video streaming is hard to beat.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
This is weird, when Google releases a competitive product, they usually do it for lower the cost not twice as much with none of the perks.

*edit, oh my bad I have Amazon prime student, 50% off yearly, just get an EDU address and it's good for 4 years.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have used this. Groupon frequently sells coupons for something like $10 for $40 off an order or your first order only.

Used it to buy stuff from Costco with great success.

trex

Queen Bee
We use Instacart to deliver groceries. $124/year and 2 hour, usually less, delivery. I don't notice a huge price difference in their prices on the app compared to in store prices, but we do tip the recommended 10%. Honestly though, a small price to pay for not having to load and unload 2 kids, annoy everyone in the store with their cries and/or tantrums and then carry groceries up 27 stories with 2 kids in tow. Plus the grocery stores DT have soooooo many homeless people inside and outside.

I also feel good about employing some midtwenties/early thirties people who work hard to have a second job to help with their money/bills...at least I assume it's a second job. I'm all about these uber/Amazon next day/lyft etc jobs helping people bring in a second income.

This is weird, when Google releases a competitive product, they usually do it for lower the cost not twice as much with none of the perks.

*edit, oh my bad I have Amazon prime student, 50% off yearly, just get an EDU address and it's good for 4 years.

Interesting. We have prime family so got the first 3Mo free, but we need to renew soon. Couldn't you just "apply" to a community college, get accepted, use the email address and then never sign up for classes? Am I thinking too much into saving $50?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to use Instacart but then they stopped offering Trader Joe's as an option. Deal breaker.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We use Instacart to deliver groceries. $124/year and 2 hour, usually less, delivery. I don't notice a huge price difference in their prices on the app compared to in store prices, but we do tip the recommended 10%. Honestly though, a small price to pay for not having to load and unload 2 kids, annoy everyone in the store with their cries and/or tantrums and then carry groceries up 27 stories with 2 kids in tow. Plus the grocery stores DT have soooooo many homeless people inside and outside.

I also feel good about employing some midtwenties/early thirties people who work hard to have a second job to help with their money/bills...at least I assume it's a second job. I'm all about these uber/Amazon next day/lyft etc jobs helping people bring in a second income.

Interesting. We have prime family so got the first 3Mo free, but we need to renew soon. Couldn't you just "apply" to a community college, get accepted, use the email address and then never sign up for classes? Am I thinking too much into saving $50?
It's not $50, it's $200 over 4 years (that's the college max limit membership, for obvious reasons)

You could also just grab any college kid who doesn't care for prime and use his address, just tell him/her to click "yes" on verification, all Amazon needs/wants is an .edu address

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm confused, so it's just a middleman for a bunch of retailers?

Why wouldn't I just buy shit directly from Target or Kohls? The only vendor it looks like it'd be worthwhile for is Costco, since you wouldn't need a membership and Costco doesn't (as far as I know) ship directly. (edit: I guess a few other places like Whole Foods, as well)

I was initially excited yesterday when I went there, and looked for stuff I'd normally buy from Target and REI, but it was pared down from what I find on their websites. And then I'm sitting there like, "Wait, why wouldn't I just order it off their website?"

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think Google's main angle here isn't just shipping, but fast, free shiping(with subscription). Same-day delivery in some metro areas(big feature for delivering food products)