Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So you're saying it's guaranteed I can get a 2560x1080 video without the premium subscription?
1920 x 1080 per their website.

do you know how to use the internet for anything but foh.com?
Read the shit, I'm not the devs and I havent used the service. Literally just read their tech specs and figure it out. It's not hard.

Here's the link for the 3rd time:
www.stadia.com

simple

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This is still a .org domain, but hey...
Got me.

Also, snarkiness aside, the Stadia website only says "up to 1080p". It doesn't mention "FHD" at all. Maybe it supports your Ultrawide monitor, but I'd expect it to mean 1920x1080 which is the standard.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
By that logic Blizzard is dumb because they shelve more games than they release.

It’s called R&D you brain-dead fuck-wit.
I'm talking LIVE products.

No one has killed more live products than Google.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
With some minor tweaks this becomes an interesting service, namely Google funds a bunch of AAA games that are exclusive to Stadia, for $10/mo you get a huge library of games and don't have to pay more for anything, and they have ports of MP and party games like Fortnite, APEX, Just Dance, Monopoly, Mario Party clone, Smash Bros, Wii Sports, etc which means you can take your controller and a dongle to a friends house and 3-4 of you can play attached to various TVs in a semi-lan party without having to drag around PCs or consoles. Plus a lot more work to make it work really well with phones and tablets.

But virtually none of that is in at launch. They are launching at a $140 buy in, PLUS $10/mo for just Destiny 2 and NOTHING else, PLUS you have to buy whatever library of games they release and its all 1-2+ year old junk right now - Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed Odyssey, etc. You are literally paying to be a beta tester so they can continue to tweak the service.

I do like it though because it will force Microsoft to be better, and who the fuck knows what Sony is doing. We'll find out more sat or sunday about Microsoft's xCloud but I have to imagine thats going to be the far, far superior service right now for most people who want to play more than 2 hours of games a month. Don't forget Apple's gaming thing too, its basically the same thing except it runs basically mobile games but it comes in at $10/mo for their entire games library with guaranteed no microtransactions in any game.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm talking LIVE products.

No one has killed more live products than Google.

So, you're being dense on accident or on purpose? It's still R&D and my insult continues to resonate.

If you've ever read any development/design theory written by leads at Google their entire model is to release early and fast. Their go-to-market plan is completely different than Blizzard. Blizzard likes to perfect their products. Google isn't trying to perfect their products.

Blizzard kills theirs internally because the cost/time to develop a game are exponentially greater than doing minimal iterations on a single consumer product and releasing it. Blizzard kills theirs internally because they're perfectionists. Google releases fast and dirty.

Do I also need to explain the differences between games and consumer products?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, you're being dense on accident or on purpose? It's still R&D and my insult continues to resonate.

If you've ever read any development/design theory written by leads at Google their entire model is to release early and fast. Their go-to-market plan is completely different than Blizzard. Blizzard likes to perfect their products. Google isn't trying to perfect their products.

Blizzard kills theirs internally because the cost/time to develop a game are exponentially greater than doing minimal iterations on a single consumer product and releasing it.

Do I also need to explain the differences between games and consumer products?
Okay, but there's still nothing guaranteeing this product won't get canned if it doesn't take off fast, like every other product they've killed.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
With some minor tweaks this becomes an interesting service, namely Google funds a bunch of AAA games that are exclusive to Stadia, for $10/mo you get a huge library of games and don't have to pay more for anything, and they have ports of MP and party games like Fortnite, APEX, Just Dance, Monopoly, Mario Party clone, Smash Bros, Wii Sports, etc which means you can take your controller and a dongle to a friends house and 3-4 of you can play attached to various TVs in a semi-lan party without having to drag around PCs or consoles. Plus a lot more work to make it work really well with phones and tablets.

But virtually none of that is in at launch. They are launching at a $140 buy in, PLUS $10/mo for just Destiny 2 and NOTHING else, PLUS you have to buy whatever library of games they release and its all 1-2+ year old junk right now - Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed Odyssey, etc. You are literally paying to be a beta tester so they can continue to tweak the service.

How you know dis?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This has me wondering about mmgames with microtransactions, dlc, and seasons. I.e. the majority of your AAA titles now

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Okay, but there's still nothing guaranteeing this product won't get canned if it doesn't take off fast, like every other product they've killed.

Almost every post in this thread is conservative at best on this service even reaching the mass market within 3-5 years. Which is why I'm theorizing this service, at its core, isn't about making money, but about putting more pressure on ISP's.

You're arguing that Google kills products that don't achieve product-market-fit. No fucking shit, lol.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

I do like it though because it will force Microsoft to be better, and who the fuck knows what Sony is doing. We'll find out more sat or sunday about Microsoft's xCloud but I have to imagine thats going to be the far, far superior service right now for most people who want to play more than 2 hours of games a month. Don't forget Apple's gaming thing too, its basically the same thing except it runs basically mobile games but it comes in at $10/mo for their entire games library with guaranteed no microtransactions in any game.

Or you just pay $10 and use your own stuff if you already have compatible hardware. You do not have to buy the founder's bundle to access the paid service.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
One of the things they tout though is how the stadia controller will talk directly to "your" stadia system at the google server hosts, eliminating more latency. vs your controller which has to talk to your PC/phone/etc first. I doubt its gonna matter that much honestly but paying $140 to get the "slightly better" version of the service is something that would always bug me if I didn't do it.

also the free version that lets you use your own hardware isn't gonna launch till 2020 so if you wanna play stadia this holiday you gotta buy beta the founders bundle.

I'm still not sure what exactly the library is at launch, some people say Destiny 2 only for the $10/mo 4K package and some say you get a small game library.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

I love the potential of cloud gaming, but I think it's possible that Google has an inferior product, Google knows it, and that's why Google is trying to grab the first headlines and close the deal with pre-orders and naming rights.

I'm 99% sure Microsoft will have better AMD GPU and CPU tech behind it.

Also, I wouldn't trust a joystick/controller from Google without seeing some serious reviews.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I keep trying to think up of an excuse to buy this but cant. I just prefer gaming on my PC. and gaming through Chrome is just not appealing to me.
I use my Ps3 as a blueray player and for occasionally watching netflix/Prime or listening to sirius on my living room multimedia system. I have not powered up the Xbox 360 in years so its a bookend right now. Chromecast is meh so thats not a big draw for me either.
Plus i live in canuckistan and my ISP would rape me without foreplay if i tried streaming games too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My parents have fiber and it's an expiremental "outreach" deal. It was rolled out in the small town and nobody signed up for it cause it's a large portion below the poverty line in town. So they upped it to rural areas in the county and all the people outside of town signed up. They have a super low cap. The fee for the fiber is really low being an "outreach" deal. They got 2 accounts. When they near the cap they change to the other fiber account. So 2x the amount for 2 accounts but still comes out pretty cheap and way better than the 25mb download they had before. Hovers around 800 now.

Guessing people like them (retired and stream all their TV) would hit it pretty easily if they watch YV on and off thru the day and stream. If you come home from work and stream your videos or game for a few hours probably not.