Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
But then you can't run them on higher resolutions. As in FHD is the limit.
I know everyone wants the top tier resolutions but 1080 is still perfectly fine in most cases and is what you're seeing on most broadcast TV anyways... and even though not the best, your 4k TVs will still upscale

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I hear the human eye can discern between 1080p and 4k, just like you can't tell the difference for any fps past 30 :trollface:

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'd probably play at 1080 by default (for bandwidth) unless the game warranted higher. Cartoony/stylized games really don't need 4K. And any top-down type game where you can't view the characters in much detail, also don't need 4K.

4K is great for realism & scenery, not every game has that.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

This is often handy in these discussions.

Note this is the avsforum version and thus it is more generous towards 'buying a high resolution is worth it' but to within a factor of two it agrees with other versions of the same.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 210632

This is often handy in these discussions.

Note this is the avsforum version and thus it is more generous towards 'buying a high resolution is worth it' but to within a factor of two it agrees with other versions of the same.

The Y Axis is in Feet? LOL.
Chart seems very skewed toward higher res.
Basically anything above 60" at a reasonable viewing distance (10-20') is suggesting 8K+ Res.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There's a lot to criticize with this service(just being Google is a major problem), but I the heavy data usage thing is good for the simple fact that this will hopefully push ISPs to unlimited or much higher data caps. Streaming stuff like this is only going to get more prevalent. Google is offering us a 2030 service in 2019. I don't see this really doing well at the moment.

That said, Xfinity currently wants an additional 50 fucking dollars a month for unlimited data(on top of whatever your cable/internet bill is). I fucking hate these companies, but I have no other choice for good internet.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Data caps in my area from the only real internet provider(Cox) is 1tb even though they advertise it as unlimited. And the overage prices are crazy. There's a small regional company doing fiber but we're a long way off from getting any real competition.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
There's a lot to criticize with this service(just being Google is a major problem), but I the heavy data usage thing is good for the simple fact that this will hopefully push ISPs to unlimited or much higher data caps. Streaming stuff like this is only going to get more prevalent. Google is offering us a 2030 service in 2019. I don't see this really doing well at the moment.

That said, Xfinity currently wants an additional 50 fucking dollars a month for unlimited data(on top of whatever your cable/internet bill is). I fucking hate these companies, but I have no other choice for good internet.

Google lost the fiber game, so I guess their new strategy is to create services that require ISP’s to comply with consumer demand?

The Stadia website claims like 90% of Americans can access the service, but like the thread already points out, practically it’s bullshit claim. ISP’s would need to alter their models for consumer access, especially at higher resolutions.

Could this just be Google’s 2.0 strat since Google Fiber is DOA?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, I pay the $50 extra at Xfinity as well. Definitely sucks.

sukik

Google lost the fiber game, so I guess their new strategy is to create services that require ISP’s to comply with consumer demand?

The Stadia website claims like 90% of Americans can access the service, but like the thread already points out, practically it’s bullshit claim. ISP’s would need to alter their models for consumer access, especially at higher resolutions.

That 90% number is clearly bullshit. To start with 19% of america lives in rural areas and has complete garbage internet. Then you have all the big providers that have 1tb caps. What's the % of people that actually have unlimited data and could use this service effectively? I'm going to guess it's not very big.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, then it’s not a leap to theorize this is merely a ploy by Google to change the ISP business model landscape?

...a 2030 service in 2019.

Vorph

Their subscription model seems exactly like OnLive's. Bold move, Cotton.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are really hung up on 4K streaming.
I don't even stream 4K television.
4K isn't for most people right now.

That same article that was linked even says 4K doesn't offer much benefit over 1080. And at 1080 you can stream over 113 hours to = 1 TB, which should be enough for your average joe.

Also you can do 720p if data is really a concern.

Yes if you really want 4K you need to fork over cash for unlimited and have very good service... just like doing so on a PC would require a very good setup, or you need to get a top of the line console.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Google isn't even aggressively expanding google fiber at all either. Even here in Austin Google Fiber is only available in 3 areas of the Austin Metro area. AT&T Fiber is also available and its what I have. But even that isn't expansive either. Fiber is either not in super high demand or extraordinarily expensive to expand. Because most people just use Spectrum to watch their netflix and don't seem to otherwise care.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You guys are really hung up on 4K streaming.
I don't even stream 4K television.
4K isn't for most people right now.

That same article that was linked even says 4K doesn't offer much benefit over 1080. And at 1080 you can stream over 113 hours to = 1 TB, which should be enough for your average joe.

Also you can do 720p if data is really a concern.

Yes if you really want 4K you need to fork over cash for unlimited and have very good service... just like doing so on a PC would require a very good setup, or you need to get a top of the line console.

You are assuming that the only shit some person has in the house is Stadia. Family of four, tablets, youtube, netflix, PS4 and now Stadia all competing for that same 1TB cap pie that millions of people have.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You are assuming that the only shit some person has in the house is Stadia. Family of four, tablets, youtube, netflix, PS4 and now Stadia all competing for that same 1TB cap pie that millions of people have.
Then buy unlimited if your family demands it. Most people probably won't be playing Stadia games for over 50 hours a month let alone 100. ~2hr game session * 30 days = 60 hrs monthly.

Most "gamers" will still use PC/Console for games, especially competitive.

Stadia (right now) is going to be for your casual couch player that just wants to play quick (<2hr?) sessions from the couch

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Then buy unlimited if your family demands it. Most people probably won't be playing Stadia games for over 50 hours a month let alone 100. ~2hr game session * 30 days = 60 hrs monthly.

Most "gamers" will still use PC/Console for games, especially competitive.

Stadia (right now) is going to be for your casual couch player that just wants to play quick (<2hr?) sessions from the couch
Not his point lol

• 1Like

Vorph

Shit, I'm glad I have Spectrum where I live. Still no data caps and I get 30-50% more bandwidth than I pay for.