Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Not his point lol

I hear his point, but not every family is 4 people utilizing max bandwidth all the time.

If you're streaming netflix on 4 different devices all the time, you'll eat up the TB just as fast.

If 1 of those users decides to play Stadia instead of watch Netflix, it's not going to impact the avg usage for that household

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The service is just bizarre dude. You are trying to reach the casual gamer for... PC games because the PC entry point is relatively high. Okay I get it. But that also means that there has to be a lot of PC only games that people are dying to play. But casual gamers really want to bridge that gap? At this point in the console generation its $130 + infinite service/month cost or $200 for a PS4 with a definitive library of A+++ games. What PC game out there are millions of people dying to play? That isn't available on console.

Or just play fortnite on literally anything.

The economical niche here is just not clear. Ultra Casual Gamer (mobile or tablet shit), Casual (console), Hobbyist/Hardcore (PC builds).

On top of their reliance on highly questionable ISPs. I am with Soygen Soygen on this one. This is the second time in a decade that a major push for streaming gaming has been attempted and its still 20 years too soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Shit, I'm glad I have Spectrum where I live. Still no data caps and I get 30-50% more bandwidth than I pay for.
Image result for mocking gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Then buy unlimited if your family demands it. Most people probably won't be playing Stadia games for over 50 hours a month let alone 100. ~2hr game session * 30 days = 60 hrs monthly.

Most "gamers" will still use PC/Console for games, especially competitive.

Stadia (right now) is going to be for your casual couch player that just wants to play quick (<2hr?) sessions from the couch

A lot of places don't have unlimited mind you. They just charge you insane overage rates.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

You can forget about this if you have caps (Pro at least)

This is going to knock out a large portion of the country, almost any small town has some podunk shit tier data cap internet company. Many of which refuse to expand their network, anyone living in the country is going to be on Satelite etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is going to knock out a large portion of the country, almost any small town has some podunk shit tier data cap internet company. Many of which refuse to expand their network, anyone living in the country is going to be on Satelite etc.

People do not realize how rare fiber or unlimited plans even are. Even in Palto Alto and San Francisco nearly everyone is on a 1TB data cap. In the heart of fucking silicon valley.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We all bitch about the cap, but the percent of people that even get close to cap every month, even in our "connected" world, is really really low. I read it on the internet once, it's totally true.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The service is just bizarre dude. You are trying to reach the casual gamer for... PC games because the PC entry point is relatively high. Okay I get it. But that also means that there has to be a lot of PC only games that people are dying to play. But casual gamers really want to bridge that gap? At this point in the console generation its $130 + infinite service/month cost or $200 for a PS4 with a definitive library of A+++ games. What PC game out there are millions of people dying to play? That isn't available on console.

The economical niche here is just not clear. Ultra Casual Gamer (mobile or tablet shit), Casual (console), Hobbyist/Hardcore (PC builds).

On top of their reliance on highly questionable ISPs. I am with Soygen Soygen on this one. This is the second time in a decade that a major push for streaming gaming has been attempted and its still 20 years too soon.

You think you know the timing of the market better than Google? They’re not stupid.

Which is why this is something different than entering the market w a new service. Any new tech requires behavior change from the masses; see Airbnb, Uber, etc.

They’re entering early to get the younger families or people who don’t want to spend $200 + $60 per game, but are comfortable spending $20/mo on services.

Making “gaming as a service” will take time and money, which is prob why they’re making the calculated decision to enter 3-5 years “too soon”. I don’t think they’re worried about market share right now.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We all bitch about the cap, but the percent of people that even get close to cap every month, even in our "connected" world, is really really low. I read it on the internet once, it's totally true.
If this is popular, it will change that.

We need 10gig internet everywhere. INFRASTRUCTURE! Mist for Amod President.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

We'll see how it works out but Stadia is claiming to be streamable on anything too. So maybe I'll get to play some of these PC games on my phone or tablet, and it'll probably only need the 720p res at those small screen sizes. Seems decent to take on vacations/traveling.

I'm in a situation where I can't just sit behind a PC screen and play games very much (gotta watch the kids), but I could theoretically chill on the couch and plug away at a game here & there between dealing with them. I already do this with tablet gaming, so ymmv.

If I can boot it up quickly and play for 15-20mins, pause or close out to handle an emergency, resume the game, etc etc.. that's perfect for me.
I'll go on the PC after the kids are sleeping and play the competitive stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Of course I don't know better than Google. I can only look at previously failed game streaming services. If they can pull a Steam and dominate an empty room that becomes the only room in 10 years it will have been an extremely wise decision.

But despite what people think it isn't like Google doesn't abandon projects. They effectively abandoned Google Fiber for whatever reason.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You think you know the timing of the market better than Google? They’re not stupid.
Uh, yes they are.

They've launched a billion abandoned products at this point. They decomm abandoned and failed products on a near weekly basis.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Shit, I'm glad I have Spectrum where I live. Still no data caps and I get 30-50% more bandwidth than I pay for.

When I moved to Colorado I was quite disappointed I couldn't get Spectrum like I had in Oregon.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Look up “Fixed Wireless Internet”. AT&T offers it in rural areas and I personally see speed around 20 - 50 Mbps where previously only satellite internet was available.

Now consider the fact that 6G, new wireless tech leveraging power lines, and low-orbital satellite internet will all be entering the market soon and you’re ripe for a big shift in speeds and models. Might as well jump the shark w low barrier to entry gaming right?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Uh, yes they are.

They've launched a billion abandoned products at this point. They decomm abandoned and failed products on a near weekly basis.

By that logic Blizzard is dumb because they shelve more games than they release.

It’s called R&D you brain-dead fuck-wit.

• 1Worf

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know everyone wants the top tier resolutions but 1080 is still perfectly fine in most cases and is what you're seeing on most broadcast TV anyways... and even though not the best, your 4k TVs will still upscale

I'm running 2560x1080 and when google game town advertises "FHD" (not 1080p), then I'm just gonna assume right there that Google Game Town is not for me.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a Google fanboy, their culture is shit and their CEO is smarmy.

But they do have a decent track record with some long-shots.
Gmail, Google Docs, Android... could have been perceived as long shots in very competitive fields, yet they've been able to steal a lot of market share and excel.

I'll also be interested in MS offerings, or any other "Game Streaming" platform if it seems promising. We've all said that cloud streaming for games is the wave of the future, maybe it's 30 years too soon, but it's still exciting.

Keep in mind the first iPhone was only released 12 yrs ago, a lot can happen with tech in a short amount of time.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The average Internet connection in the United States hit 18.7 megabits per second (Mbps) in the first quarter, 22% faster than a year ago, according to a new report from Akamai Technologies. That's fast enough to download a typical high-definition digital move in about 30 minutes. -Jun 2, 2017

I think people here are vastly underestimating what people will pay for internet, including non capped. Netflix and Youtube account for half of all internet traffic daily.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm running 2560x1080 and when google game town advertises "FHD" (not 1080p), then I'm just gonna assume right there that Google Game Town is not for me.
This makes no sense.

1080p is normally 1920x1080 / 16:9 aspect ratio
You're running an Ultrawide TV which has a 21:9 aspect ratio.

It's still 1080p.

The p = progressive instead of interlaced. Progressive simply means you receive FULL frames, not interlaced frames.
The alternative is 1080i for interlaced.
I have no idea what your "(not 1080p)" means but you seem to be confused.