GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK Lithose, I like to look at the TV show through the lens of your average TV watcher (even myself, who read the books wouldn't immediately remember characters in the show introduced for one episode 4 or 5 seasons ago). I like to think that the impact of such a thing would need to be somewhat relevant.

Because of this, I almost don't like that they would just go, "SURPRISE!" Using the new character as a means to further this particular story arc. But it could also be a good setup if they execute it properly. Maybe even a little expose from Smalljon about the Starks serving the North honorably for thousands of years. Even though Ramsay is legitimized, I think that him being a bastard would be to the serious chagrin of some of the Houses.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
it just means that out of the complete conclusion there were 3 moments that were totally unexpected. Doesn't mean they aren't privy to more information or that there aren't any other major twists or surprises left
Hmm, you're right, that wasn't what I understood initially from the article. I was left with the impression that GRRM had basically told them when Dany arrives with her army and wins, and the 3 main plot points not yet in the books they needed to put. But yea, they might have had more.

Siliconemelons

Read a theory on the hodor thing that makes things connect better than many or my own assumptions - and it uses things we have already seen. Willis is a greenseer like Jojen - just as Jojen has seizures with his visions etc. except this /may/ have been Willis first vision - and a vision that shows him his own death and what he must do to safe Bran - and it was too much and caused massive trauma. Also as you can tell Hodor snaps out of being scared and helps the escape before the "warg" or seizure - its because this is Willis/Hodor coming full circle to the point of his greensight vision - and he knows what he must do and it is a willing sacrifice on Hodor's part.

As for "only 3 things" its highly doubtful that HBO was given only 3 things to finish the series on... if this is true than GRRM is even a worse writer than many expected, or he's being a dick and didn't want to have the show and books have any sort of similarity.

But we will see, and see some more come Sunday night* heh

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So... how many "others" white walkers are there - there where 4 at Bran and one got killed - how many where at hardholm and 1 or 2 got killed there? the one sam killed.. Why didn't the children of the forest have dragon glass arrows and just snipe the fools? Speaking of children of the forest, are they /all/ dead now? If its their magic that made the others you would think they would know how to kill them better than throwing little bombs at them.
I've thought about this one a bit since we know how they're created and now know that they were originally created by COTF. The show and book mention that Mance Raydar has spent 20 years forming the alliances needed to try and make it South.

From that I think its reasonable to figure that the Others have been attacking them at certain times and gradually increasing to the point of being an actual threat to Wildling society as a whole. Thus prompting Mance to action. The books also have stories of "women laying with the Others and birthing terrible offspring." This is also obviously just a way of saying how the Others are created. Taking new children from Wildling women.

I believe that the Others are quite vast in number. Slowly accumulating new Wights and creating new Others over the course of thousands of years. What has prompted them to attack now? That's the question I would like to know. With the recent reveal I kind of think of them as Vengeful Spirits of the COTF.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
On sunday we will see tyrion trying to save the city, arya do some ninja shit, and dany ride a horse.

Siliconemelons

With the recent reveal I kind of think of them as Vengeful Spirits of the COTF.
who just killed "maybe" the last of the COTF - obviously somewhere along the line their control of their weapon was lost - if they ever had it. Also it looked like the spear head thing they stuck into the guy was dragon glass - maybe that's why dragon glass can kill them. Also I don't think the others can just make new others that simply, or why make 100k wrights and not just 100k more others?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just realized Arya saw her father beheaded and her brother's wolf attached to his body.

What the fuck.

Siliconemelons

I just realized Arya saw her father beheaded and her brother's wolf attached to his body.

What the fuck.
You think the play was just happenstance, its all a test of her "nobodyness" - no actor at the poor peoples playhouse is going to have the funds or means to hire a faceless man's kill - while I am sure the faceless men will benefit from the kill - its 99% there to test her resolve - I am sure someone on her "list" is going to show up and she will have to choose to kill her target or who "she" wants to kill.

Edit: I still half expect her to finish her training and then grab needle a few hundred faces and run off.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Very interesting read on the backlore of the ASOIAF series. Makes a lot of sense really. I linked his blog earlier but he puts a ton of his crap on westeros.org for some reason.

Fingerprints of the Dawn

While in the TV show it was probably dragonglass, it was likely Oily Black Stone in the books. This guy covers a lot of thelikelysymbolism GRRM is using. He was 100% correct about the origins of the Others and several other things. Although I enjoy bullshit arguments over the limitations of magic systems made unclear deliberately. Lets figure that there is some "wizard did it" reason that they can create infinite wights but limited Others. If I were to guess, the weirwoods capture the "spirits" of the COTF if you will. As it is mentioned that the weirwood.net was their method of storing information and living greenseers their means of accessing it.

So I kind of limit the amount of Others they can create limited to how many sacred weirwoods still exist.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You think the play was just happenstance, its all a test of her "nobodyness" - no actor at the poor peoples playhouse is going to have the funds or means to hire a faceless man's kill - while I am sure the faceless men will benefit from the kill - its 99% there to test her resolve - I am sure someone on her "list" is going to show up and she will have to choose to kill her target or who "she" wants to kill.

Edit: I still half expect her to finish her training and then grab needle a few hundred faces and run off.
It has been suggested that the cost of hiring a faceless man depends on the importance of the target, and possibly also the means of the person doing the hiring. So while I agree that it's definitely a test for Arya, it's still entirely possible that someone else in that acting troupe would have the means to hire the faceless men.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm with Xadion on this one. The only known payment to the Faceless Men in the book was what the Waif's father paid. That was just to have them kill his wife. All of his wealth and his daughter to give his wife the Gift.

This leads me to believe that whatever it would cost to kill your coworker would be pretty dear to you. Not just a few months savings.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, between the girl calling her "Lady Stark" and having to watch the play, it seems to be a test for Arya.

One thing I couldn't tell for sure when I watched the episode, but did Arya lie to Jaqen about only the woman drinking the rum? It seemed to me that she poured a drink for both her and the dwarf. And when she told Jaqen her plan he hesitated and looked at her for a moment as if he was about to call her a liar.

Did anyone else see it that way? Or am I completely wrong?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm with Xadion on this one. The only known payment to the Faceless Men in the book was what the Waif's father paid. That was just to have them kill his wife. All of his wealth and his daughter to give his wife the Gift.

This leads me to believe that whatever it would cost to kill your coworker would be pretty dear to you. Not just a few months savings.
So...still within her means just like I said?

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I believe that the Others are quite vast in number. Slowly accumulating new Wights and creating new Others over the course of thousands of years. What has prompted them to attack now? That's the question I would like to know. With the recent reveal I kind of think of them as Vengeful Spirits of the COTF.
I've been reading the first essay of the LmL blog you posted, and if he's right then maybe the other half of the comet is going to smash into the other moon, creating another Long Night which will be the perfect time for them to attack. No idea how they know it's coming, maybe a magic telescope or observatory.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've been reading the first essay of the LmL blog you posted, and if he's right then maybe the other half of the comet is going to smash into the other moon, creating another Long Night which will be the perfect time for them to attack. No idea how they know it's coming, maybe a magic telescope or observatory.
Clearly satellites and orbiting telescopes. Probably Hubble.

koljec_sl

shitlord

Isn't she on the right continent to assassinate Tyrion? I could see the Masters contracting with the Faceless Men to get rid of him.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
who just killed "maybe" the last of the COTF - obviously somewhere along the line their control of their weapon was lost - if they ever had it. Also it looked like the spear head thing they stuck into the guy was dragon glass - maybe that's why dragon glass can kill them. Also I don't think the others can just make new others that simply, or why make 100k wrights and not just 100k more others?
Seems like the Others have to be made from still living humans, while wights can be made from dead folks.

Lots more dead folks and a lot easier to get ahold of dead bodies after a big battle, than it is large groups of living, fighting back dudes and then convert them over.

Also seems like either only the Night King or the Others can make new Others, and there's not a lot of them, and that would require them being put into vulnerable positions more often if they want to convert large groups of living people to Other-dom.

I hope that all makes sense.