GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I think she was owed, because she got to choose. If any 3 would do, Jaqen would have chosen them himself and fucked off. But she held him hostage to her choices to the point of choosing him. Obviously, she was owed.
That's a point, but I think it's likely because he owed her his own life. A debt from him personally, rather than from any God.

At least that's my take on why she could pick. Either that or he was testing her for possible recruitment right from the start.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
She named him Jaqen Hagar, and he about flipped. If he is no one, then who is Jaqen? They whole premise is funky, don't lose sleep over the details.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe he flipped because he is supposed to be no one but by naming him it meta-negates him being no one and he would then die as an ordinary man forsaking his assassin religion?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Your source of power isn't anything more special because it's religion. Have you heard of North Korea? I could list another fifty countries that have no state religion or even understand religion and are far more insane than anything you could imagine. But it's an utter waste of time when this subject comes up due to the ethnocentric and egocentric nature of our Western World.

You're not that smart, Twilight. I hate to break it to you, but you really aren't. It is semantics. But thanks for illustrating you're anything but an atheist. It's ok though, most atheists actually fear god far more than the religious. This is why I stay outta the religious shit on these boards, so you might want to keep it out of here too before you get schooled by people with actual knowledge on the subject not just emotion.
Probably the most hilarious post in this thread. Thank you.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
There doesn't seem to be consistency in the show at least. Jaqen clearly shows a strong interest in self preservation when Arya names him, yet Jaqen (or one of the other faceless wearing his face) suicides without hesitation before Arya goes blind because reasons.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your source of power isn't anything more special because it's religion. Have you heard of North Korea? I could list another fifty countries that have no state religion or even understand religion and are far more insane than anything you could imagine. But it's an utter waste of time when this subject comes up due to the ethnocentric and egocentric nature of our Western World.

You're not that smart, Twilight. I hate to break it to you, but you really aren't. It is semantics. But thanks for illustrating you're anything but an atheist. It's ok though, most atheists actually fear god far more than the religious. This is why I stay outta the religious shit on these boards, so you might want to keep it out of here too before you get schooled by people with actual knowledge on the subject not just emotion.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
She named him Jaqen Hagar, and he about flipped. If he is no one, then who is Jaqen? They whole premise is funky, don't lose sleep over the details.
he didnt flip because she named him, he told her his name in the first place, he flipped because she meant he should kill himself. even if he said his name was ronald mcdonald he would have to follow the order to kill ronald mcdonald. he also had as mission to get to either up by the wall or along the way, then head over to oldtown.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Also keep in mind, the World is one where the Gods are actively making moves and choosing sides. Who is the "Many Faced God"? Where do they all fit in together?

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
most atheists actually fear god far more than the religious. This is why I stay outta the religious shit on these boards,
That's because most christians don't believe in god and reject all forms of human/blood sacrifice, that's why I say out of religious discussions on this board.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It seems like all the religions have had some proof-in-the-pudding for their Gods except for the 7. Have the 7 ever really manifested themselves? I guess I can't say with 100% certainty the old Gods ever did but I thought they were responsible for the children.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Also keep in mind, the World is one where the Gods are actively making moves and choosing sides. Who is the "Many Faced God"? Where do they all fit in together?
No it isn't. This is a world where the gods don't actually exist and power only resides where men think it does. Magic is real but the gods in this story are most certainly not.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He meant not true to the "no Bronn" part, because he is shown walking next to Jaime in the next ep preview.

Siliconemelons

No it isn't. This is a world where the gods don't actually exist and power only resides where men think it does. Magic is real but the gods in this story are most certainly not.
soo... believe in a non existent god and get power, that is "nothing more" than "magic"... don't believe in a god because they don't exist and have no power and or magic?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it's a reach to call the way the faceless men worship the many-faced god a religion. They're a crazy death cult, which is why they do crazy shit like taking in corpses to wear their faces, agreeing to kill an actress on behalf of her jealous understudy, or demanding that Arya give you three people to kill because she saved you and two others from dying.

An assassin's guild is a business and wouldn't do any of that dumb bullshit, which is why they aren't one.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not here to engage in the "Is it a religion or not?" argument but the followers of the many faced do gain some supernatural power. So whatever they believe in appears to have some teeth behind it. Just like the red god's rez powers. I just wasn't sure if the 7 ever had any tangible effect on the humans outside of belief.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
soo... believe in a non existent god and get power, that is "nothing more" than "magic"... don't believe in a god because they don't exist and have no power and or magic?
I think magic is an inherent part of the world that many people tap into regardless of belief. Religion is something that men created based around these powers they don't understand, attributing them to invisible forces that have their own priorities.