GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Of course he has fucking plot armor, he is the fucking plot. If you kill him in that instance, your scattering his story to the winds and should have never bothered writing it in the first place.
Good post. I agree.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'm also not 100% clear why Ramsay met them in the open battle field. Possibly it is because Winterfell is mostly ruins and hard to defend. It just seems to make sense to let those idiots try and siege the castle and bleed off their small numbers first and then strike the killing blow.
Remember he talked Roose out of doing exactly that with Stannis last season. He knew he had to display strength to the rest of the Northern lords, especially in the face of a threat headed by the Starks.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Fuck I compare the first three books in the series to a Greek Tragedy.

It has all the elements, the writing is tight, the story compelling.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Remember he talked Roose out of doing exactly that with Stannis last season. He knew he had to display strength to the rest of the Northern lords, especially in the face of a threat headed by the Starks.
Ironically this still defeats the purpose of having a "stronghold." Nobody cares how you win, only that you do.

koljec_sl

shitlord

Siliconemelons

Fuck I compare the first three books in the series to a Greek Tragedy.

It has all the elements, the writing is tight, the story compelling.
except that he didn't finish and just goes on and on and on and on - imo he is building artificial suspense, adding in characters that are fully meaningless but he gives them fake meaning by exploring their background for passages and passages.. that's what annoys me by this entire thing. His best stuff is exploring those things off "main series" etc. but it is what it is.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
and you have a bunch of nerds here who do larping on the weekends and think they know advanced military tactics.
I'm assuming these are your qualifications for declaring Sansa such a tactical genius. She's not some military mastermind. It was just deus ex machina - and if it wasn't, it's even worse writing. Just as terrible as every explanation for Arya's resolution, but at least we got a badass fight scene out of this.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
While we're all being nit picky bitches couldn't rickon have turned around and watched the arrow and then stepped out of its way?
I said this a few pages back. Someone else screamed "SERPENTINE!"

Basically, he's a fucking idiot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
except that he didn't finish and just goes on and on and on and on - imo he is building artificial suspense, adding in characters that are fully meaningless but he gives them fake meaning by exploring their background for passages and passages.. that's what annoys me by this entire thing. His best stuff is exploring those things off "main series" etc. but it is what it is.
Book 4 and 5 meandered way too much and he was clearly in the thick of it and had lost his way.

I can't speak to whether he's figured out the puzzle and is cracking the nut, or if the long lag time between book 5 and book 6 is him turning into Robert Jordan or not, though I do suspect that to be the case.

That said.

Books 1 through 3 are as tightly written and well written as anything I've read in my life, and easily rival anything in any other series in the genre, including LoTR.

That's my personal opinion.

That first 150 some odd pages of Book 1 are enough to warrant him being considered one of the best writers of his generation, in my opinion.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes, but they burned the original fleet Daario acquired specifically to allow for the Greyjoy plotline (and ships) to be resurrected/relevant. Which you completely ignored in that post yet responded to anyway.
At this point I have no idea what you're talking about. Did the Greyjoys not bring necessary ships to Dany hence the burning of the fleet was relevant? If they didn't have the Kingsmoot and didn't have Euron then Yarra would be reaving the coast and trying to gain independence via Westerosi means. Since the Kingsmoot happened and Euron told the Yarra to fuck off it spun off the storyline of meeting Dany. And if Dany didn't need ships she'd have absolutely no reason to broker any sort of deal with Yarra. Hence it is all relevent except for maybe Euron who's only reason currently for being in the mix is to force Yarra out of Westeros.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm assuming these are your qualifications for declaring Sansa such a tactical genius. She's not some military mastermind. It was just deus ex machina - and if it wasn't, it's even worse writing. Just as terrible as every explanation for Arya's resolution, but at least we got a badass fight scene out of this.
It doesnt have to be looked at like this. LF and Sansa werent a team. She declined his Knights initally, and only AFTER they couldnt muster a large enough force did she send a raven. It wasnt made clear to the viewer whether or not there was further correspondence but we can assume their wasnt. So he most likely camped nearby knowing the battle would go bad for Jon and therefor Sansa, his real skin in the game. And when that transpires he made his move and rendezvoused with Sansa before breaking the Bolton host. He also wanted to keep most of his forces intact, like I mentioned previously. Sansa had no fucking clue about battle and wasnt commanding shit. She just was herself, and thats all she needs when it comes to Littlefinger. He obviously wasnt going to bail after the initial rebuke, there is too much on the line.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The first three books are absolutely spectacular. He had the five year plan, which was admittedly retarded, but then had to come up with a whole bunch of bullshit to get characters where they need to be, and it's all a fucking mess with some of the most dull writing I've ever read. And I read the god damn beginning of Fellowship. Holy shit Tolkien, I don't need to know the entire fucking family tree of the Hobbits.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
When you have such a dramatic advantage in both quality of troops and numbers, you don't need to wait behind your walls. I mean shit, Winter is coming, and supplies have to be scarce due to all the constant disruption of the past few years preventing stockpiling, it was absolutely in Ramsay's best interest to quickly win a decisive battle in the field, regardless of that bullshit 'he needs to be seen as strong' justification. Not that these hack writers would ever think of anything even remotely complicated.

and you have a bunch of nerds here who do larping on the weekends and think they know advanced military tactics.
Or maybe some of us have actually read history books you ignorant pleb.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When you have such a dramatic advantage in both quality of troops and numbers, you don't need to wait behind your walls. I mean shit, Winter is coming, and supplies have to be scarce due to all the constant disruption of the past few years preventing stockpiling, it was absolutely in Ramsay's best interest to quickly win a decisive battle in the field, regardless of that bullshit 'he needs to be seen as strong' justification. Not that these hack writers would ever think of anything even remotely complicated.
I don't necessarily disagree here which only makes the ninja knights of the vale an even dumber twist. You'd think if you're marching 6k troops into an open battlefield you'd have your scouts know where every last army is in the North. Its kind of the same reason he met Stannis in the open last season. I'm sure the numbers for this battle were fairly comparable.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
At this point I have no idea what you're talking about. Did the Greyjoys not bring necessary ships to Dany hence the burning of the fleet was relevant? If they didn't have the Kingsmoot and didn't have Euron then Yarra would be reaving the coast and trying to gain independence via Westerosi means. Since the Kingsmoot happened and Euron told the Yarra to fuck off it spun off the storyline of meeting Dany. And if Dany didn't need ships she'd have absolutely no reason to broker any sort of deal with Yarra. Hence it is all relevent except for maybe Euron who's only reason currently for being in the mix is to force Yarra out of Westeros.
I am not sure why this is difficult.

1. You said Euron is likely an irrelevant character to the story. I disagreed due to the fact that Dany now requires some means of making her weaker so she doesn't roflstomp Westeros with her insanely OP Army at present. As this same Army is both large enough and has enough resources to effectively destroy a limitless number of wights and likely WW as well, and a curb stomp is not dramatic television or reading.

2. They've previously abandoned the Greyjoy Plotline (Yara included). We can infer this when Daario acquired the amount of ships necessary to equal what Yara brought with The Iron Fleet last episode. By burning them earlier this season they gave the Greyjoys a niche to fill.

3. Because they've decided to resurrect the Greyjoy plotline (and release of a relevant Euron related chapter) we can infer that he is meant to do something to this effect. Previous book elements also elude to this happening as well as Theon and Yara talking to Dany about a coming conflict with Euron in the near future with the remaining Iron Fleet and the ships he has. They said that Theon and Yara brought about half of the Iron Fleet.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I honestly don't see how this can resolve itself in one more season. Dany isn't even in Westeros yet nor have the White Walkers made it past the wall.
Dany's ships all sink and she flies away on Drogon with Tyrion and Missandei's titties. Instead of going west Drogon heads back to Mereen, where Dany's lives out the rest of her days heroically entering rooms and giving speeches to maids and butlers.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What I really hope is that the first minute of the next episode is Sansa slapping LF and saying "if you were going to come you should have sent a rider" and then he replies "I am so sorry m'lady but I only just arrived and was not sure I would even make it". Jon will then say "good call, no way you could get a raven to us and a rider wouldn't have made it through their picket lines". Daavos would say "aye" and nod then clutch his stag tightly while brooding. Melisandre would mumble something in the corner about the light knowing those men had to die. End scene with Tormund sighing wistfully and cut to Brienne.