GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Hell, even when Melisandre was a POV character, we see that she doesn't even know how most of it works, just that it does, and she spices it up with parlor tricks to make it look flashy.
Yeah I am pretty sure she just burns something and then prays hoping that it goes as she planned it in her head.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I am hoping that they troll the audience(more) next season with the teleporter/time disparity bitching...

Have some tension building in kingslanding, add in music and cut scenes that make it look like Dany is about to land and wreck shit and save KL from cerssy.. then when Dany lands she(and the viewers) realizes that everyone in KL has been dead for like 5years.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
God that would be garbage if they really go through with the whole "the wall has to stay up until this time way in the future, and then we have to tear it down ourselves!"

Really hoping it just sticks with the horn since they bothered to include it in the cache at the Fist, but you'd think they'd have kept it in view in a scene or two each season. Not draw attention to it, but just show that it's still there, or currently with Sam... Instead of just, hey remember this thing from 5 seasons ago? Yeah, that's taking the Wall down.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
God that would be garbage if they really go through with the whole "the wall has to stay up until this time way in the future, and then we have to tear it down ourselves!"
It's possible that the NK has some greenseeing ability himself due to how he was created and knows that once magic begins to wax and return into the world his own powers will grow to the point that he can use his marking ability to bring it down. It had to stand until the appointed time and all that.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
That sounds awful. Benjen should've just killed Bran. Or why even build the Wall? Just kill the Night's King the first time around after the Long Night.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That sounds awful. Benjen should've just killed Bran. Or why even build the Wall? Just kill the Night's King the first time around after the Long Night.
They may not have known how and he hid himself away by the time they found out, if they ever did. The Wall would outlast any of the heroes from that time as well as the CotF. And we don't know how much or how little of it all Benjen knows.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Instead of just, hey remember this thing from 5 seasons ago? Yeah, that's taking the Wall down.
Whelp, you know when an episode starts with 'previously on GoT' and they show the scene where Sam finds it, it is about to become extremely important.

They have a done a pretty good job with that, using those quick 'previously..' snippets to remind you of random one-off things or people that are about to wander back into the story.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I am hoping that they troll the audience(more) next season with the teleporter/time disparity bitching...

Have some tension building in kingslanding, add in music and cut scenes that make it look like Dany is about to land and wreck shit and save KL from cerssy.. then when Dany lands she(and the viewers) realizes that everyone in KL has been dead for like 5years.
That would be fucking amazing as long as Jaime, Bronn, and the Mountain made it out, don't be takin away the Bowl.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Whelp, you know when an episode starts with 'previously on GoT' and they show the scene where Sam finds it, it is about to become extremely important.

They have a done a pretty good job with that, using those quick 'previously..' snippets to remind you of random one-off things or people that are about to wander back into the story.
Right, I get that, and I'm sure they will, but when this particular trinket is supposed to have been with Sam this whole time, it just seems really lazy to not bother including it in a single scene since s2 when our character that has it has been in numerous scenes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Really hoping it just sticks with the horn since they bothered to include it in the cache at the Fist, but you'd think they'd have kept it in view in a scene or two each season. Not draw attention to it, but just show that it's still there, or currently with Sam... Instead of just, hey remember this thing from 5 seasons ago? Yeah, that's taking the Wall down.
If the horn Sam found brings down the wall, what the fuck did Sam let happen to the horn?! He'll go from Sam the Slayer to Sam, Destroyer of Worlds(whoops, my bad).

Neph_sl

shitlord
Right, I get that, and I'm sure they will, but when this particular trinket is supposed to have been with Sam this whole time, it just seems really lazy to not bother including it in a single scene since s2 when our character that has it has been in numerous scenes.
Why include it in any scene if it's not important yet? What will likely happen is that Sam will read something about a magical horn north of the Wall and then remember that he found and kept a horn of the same description buried with the dragon glass. He'll make a joke like "good thing I haven't blown it", and then little Sam will come up and blow the thing because he'll think it's a toy. The end.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What will likely happen is that Sam will read something about a magical horn north of the Wall and then remember that he found and kept a horn of the same description buried with the dragon glass. The end.
That's my thought as well. I'm just wondering how they'll get from Sam finding out about his horn, to letting someone get their hands on it and bring down the wall.

khalid

Unelected Mod
This was linked in the spoiler thread, pretty awesome mix of a shitload of great moments in GoT.

Show isn't perfect, but holy shit is it better than I was willing to even hope when it was announced.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
That's my thought as well. I'm just wondering how they'll get from Sam finding out about his horn, to letting someone get their hands on it and bring down the wall.
Euron, if it follows the books at all. He's about to assault Oldtown in TWoW.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

They did it for the ToJ episodes to remind everyone that Lyanna getting taken by Rhaegar was IMPORTANT STUFF. Even so, I know some show only watchers who didn't understand the significance of the final ToJ scene and how it revealed Jon's parentage. One person I know even asked me "So Ned hooked up with his own sister??". Having read the books, it's tough for me to relate to them, but I thought if they paid attention to those discussions it should have been obvious, but for some people they barely even listen to that backstory stuff. Just throwing in a "previously on GoT" snippet with the horn might not be enough for some people to connect the dots.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Carice van Houten's Twitter: "Awkward farewell presents"

CmHxJpWWEAAlIU3.jpg

Woolygimp

Let me spell it out a little bit better so you can understand just why there would actually be a device capable of destroying the Wall and heralding the end of the World.

Earthquake #1 was the first WMD used by the Children.

Arm of Dorne - A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Around 12,000 years before the War of Conquest, the First Men came to Westeros from Essos by crossing the Arm of Dorne. When the First Men and the children of the forest first went to war, the old songs say greenseers of the children used dark magics to make the seas rise and sweep away the land, shattering the Arm, in a futile attempt to end the invasion of the First Men. Although the shattering of the Arm was successful, it was too late, for the First Men in Westeros had already crossed and the wars went on until the Pact.[1]
Earthquake #2 referencing another post.

This caused the Southern North to turn into marshy swamp that it remains today. Where Howland Reed, Meera, and Jojen are from.

Referring again to the well-known timelines, the hammer was brought down on the Neck during the invasion of the First Men. After the sundering of the Arm of Dorne failed, the children brought the hammer down in a second attempt to thwart the advances of the First Men.
Then the pact was made between men and the CotF. Joramun, who owned the horn, lived during the Age of Heroes in which the Night's King was defeated. The horn is real and has existed prior to the Long Winter when the only magic existed through the Old Gods and Children.

The Horn of Winter, also known as the Horn of Joramun, is a legendary horn with magical properties. It was supposedly blown by Joramun, a wildling King-Beyond-the-Wall.When he blew the horn, he "woke the giants from the earth."[1] It is currently claimed that blowing the Horn will destroy the Wall. [2] Mance Rayder claims to have found the Horn of Joramun in a grave beneath a glacier, high up in the Frostfangs. [3]
When he blew the horn, he "woke the giants from the earth."
Woke Giants? Seriously. Giants are a sentient species that breed just like everything else in the world, and now their extinct. If the Bible or some other ancient text were to use the term 'Waking Giants' you would think of the World shaking. An earthquake.

The giant bellowed again, a sound that shook the leaves in the trees, and slammed his maul against the ground. The shaft of it was six feet of gnarled oak, the head a stone as big as a loaf of bread. The impact made the ground shake.
GRRM is associating giants with making the ground shake, something we know the CotF were able to do.

Why else would someone make a device that could bring down the wall? It would serve no purpose except to bring about Armageddon, yet it was still made and still exists but for a different purpose. The horn Sam found was clearly made without metal, something the CotF would have created. It was deliberately broken to prevent it being used, for if it hadn't been, Sam would've brought down the wall when they tried to blow it after finding it.

Those of you saying that Bran will defeat the Wall's magic. D&D will diverge from the books, but holy fuck that's some lazy fucking writing. GRRM doesn't write like that, and every major event has clues littered in previous books.

The Horn of Winter wasn't built to destroy the wall, it was built to destroy men. Sam has it in Oldtown.

Woolygimp

I also want to add, it's been closer to about 10,000 years since the WW's have been last seen, not 1,000. And GRRM is clearly subtly subverting religion. We know there's a powerful force beyond that of men, yet Melisandre/Stannis are corrupted by human nature so much so that they start committing atrocities such as sacrifices. Stannis, misled by Melisandre, burns his own daughter.

"If your God commands you to kill children then your God is evil!" - Ser Davos.
Both the Quran and the God of the Old Testament are all about genocide, slavery, and all sorts of atrocities and we apply this to our 21st century view of morality. It conflicts, but we still accept it? Clearly the Gods of both books are evil if you read either text objectively, at least to our understanding of evil. If a dictator ordered the death of a bunch of children, we'd definitely be up in arms over it. But God does it, and it's fine? Why? The Lord of Light may not be evil, but man has a tendency to corrupt things and religious fanatics do all sorts of batshit insane shit like burn children/blow themselves up to kill innocents.

This is why I think if Euron isn't the one who blows the horn, it may be Melisandre who is heading South. A good amount of modern Christians are all about the "End Times" so much so that the "Left Behind" series was a bestseller. She may be like, "The Lord of Light" commands this, and it must be done. Bringing on the equivalent of the Christian Judgement Day when God battles Lucifer.

Still it's most likely Euron, or an accident. Dunno.

----

Euron will also likely fuck Dany pretty hard. I really hope he has Dragonbinder, and it just hasn't been shown yet. If he has his Valyrian Steel armor then that may make him immune to fire, along with a lot of other magical items, making him one hell of a adversary should he match his character in the literature.

I think D&D may be wanting everyone to expect Dany to have this swift, easy victory and be Queen, like most fairytales, only to have to be shocked when she gets royally fucked because someone else can control her dragons and shatter her forces. And that's why Euron showed his dick instead of Dragonbinder at the Kingsmoot.

They wanted S6 to end on asuper high note(for the "Good Guys"), and S7 to be pretty shocking when Daenaerys is defeated (probably not killed, she's immune to fire). This is Game of Thrones, Daenaerys can't just keep climbing the power ladder unabated. She's never been defeated and has no humility. It's about time for that to happen. This is a character who thinks it's her birthright to rule the World. What else could challenge 200,000 Dothraki, the combined armies of Dorne, Highgarden, half of the Iron Islands, and 3 dragons? (forgot the 20,000 Unsullied)

Isn't there a famous quote regarding great leaders knowing defeat as well as victory? She needs to be humbled, because right now she almost gives off this, "I'm a living God" vibe, similar to Augustus' declaration (of him being a God) after consolidating almost all of the power in Europe.