GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Says bloodlines don't matter despite Sansa being so important to legitimize the Bolton occupation of the North. Calls other people stupid.

Can't explain that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Says bloodlines don't matter despite Sansa being so important to legitimize the Bolton occupation of the North. Calls other people stupid.

Can't explain that.
Says this like they wouldn't have found any other excuse or could have trotted any person out and made that same claim.

Kind of like how Theon "killed" Bran and Rickon.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I remember the day I tearfully pulled down my "Areo Hotah for the Iron Throne 2016" poster.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
7c8.jpg

I'm out until next season.

iannis

Musty Nester
Unfortunately the answer to all these questions is, "grrm didnt think this shit through".

He's not Tolkien, he's telling an entirely different sort of story. He thinks episodically and he writes that way too. It's the reason he can't finish the story and the reason he's nearly eager to kill his characters off.

And that's fine, but you'll be disappointed if you expect the ending of the story to be better than BSG or Lost. Don't ask too much of it.

Debase

N00b
Unfortunately the answer to all these questions is, "grrm didnt think this shit through".

He's not Tolkien, he's telling an entirely different sort of story. He thinks episodically and he writes that way too. It's the reason he can't finish the story and the reason he's nearly eager to kill his characters off.

And that's fine, but you'll be disappointed if you expect the ending of the story to be better than BSG or Lost. Don't ask too much of it.
See, I actually think it's a little different issue than that. I think he has a general idea of who ends up where, but I don't think he has a clue on how to get them there in any sort of coordinated and interesting way. It's almost like he scattered characters in the wind to create drama and force a certain amount of self-reliance on all of the characters, but didn't realize that writing about 15 different plotlines was going to be both difficult and time intensive. Hopefully, GRRM has learned a little bit from the show in that more isn't necessarily better. For example, this whole Aegon storyline seems like turd incarnate and a reflection of "filling Tyrion's time" while Dany is off on the plains.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

I dunno man. The ending of Lost was pretty disappointing to me.

Not a high bar to cross there, tbh.

See, I actually think it's a little different issue than that. I think he has a general idea of who ends up where, but I don't think he has a clue on how to get them there in any sort of coordinated and interesting way.It's almost like he scattered characters in the wind to create drama and force a certain amount of self-reliance on all of the characters, but didn't realize that writing about 15 different plotlines was going to be both difficult and time intensive.Hopefully, GRRM has learned a little bit from the show in that more isn't necessarily better. For example, this whole Aegon storyline seems like turd incarnate and a reflection of "filling Tyrion's time" while Dany is off on the plains.
That's pretty much the same problem that Robert Jordan had, actually.

He had all these plotlines, all these characters spread out all over his world, and he got stuck trying to reel it all back in. Its like once you lay enough threads down, the story just starts growing of its own will, and the author has to battle with themselves to prune that shit back and get it on track for completion.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
hodj_sl said:
I dunno man. The ending of Lost was pretty disappointing to me.

Not a high bar to cross there, tbh.
That's the point he was making. The writers of Lost ended up with such a convoluted, fucked up story with so many different elements that it was basically impossible to bring them all to a satisfying, logical conclusion. I've long since resigned myself to a similar thing happening with GOT, although I do hold some optimism that it won't be nearly as bed-shittingly bad as Lost's ending was. BSG's ending was rushed, but ultimately wasn't all that bad. Lost though? That was horrifically bad, given how good the start of the show was. BSG was super uneven throughout, so the mediocre ending wasn't nearly as jarring.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. Seemed like he was saying those endings were "good enough" but that GOT won't be.

My thing is, as long as its better than the Lost ending, I'll be okay with it.

TV show is pure fan fiction to me anyway.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Lost was a product of the internet. I do believe they had a long term plan but changed that shit because theories were everywhere during the first season that guessed what was happening. They kept trying to be more clever then millions of fans and fucking failed hard. I remember interviews where the creators specifically said they weren't dead and weren't in purgatory. Instead of just refusing to confirm or deny they decided to start changing shit and threw out a fucking ton of bullshit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

BSG started went full retard not even halfway through s3.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Lost was a product of the internet. I do believe they had a long term plan but changed that shit because theories were everywhere during the first season that guessed what was happening. They kept trying to be more clever then millions of fans and fucking failed hard. I remember interviews where the creators specifically said they weren't dead and weren't in purgatory. Instead of just refusing to confirm or deny they decided to start changing shit and threw out a fucking ton of bullshit.
Well, they weren't until the last season.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I still thought BSG was going to give me some ultimate payoff for the opera house flashbacks right up until the 2nd to last episode.

That show fell off the rails the last couple seasons but I still was generally entertained by it until the last episode which just made me upset.

Sterling

El Presidente
I still thought BSG was going to give me some ultimate payoff for the opera house flashbacks right up until the 2nd to last episode.

That show fell off the rails the last couple seasons but I still was generally entertained by it until the last episode which just made me upset.
The first half the finale was actually pretty awesome. The 2nd half was incredibly disappointing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey guys lets just rape our way into a stone age hunter-gatherer culture and pretend our basic understanding of the sciences wouldn't lead to our complete domination of any other group we encounter and jump humanity forward thousands or tens of thousands of years.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Did it ever explain how they were hearing a song, specifically the lyrics, that wouldn't be written for thousands of years?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The entire last season was bad. Once they started going offroad with "Earth was populated with Cylons and died in nuclear war! No, actually that wasn't Earth at all, the real Earth is still waiting for us" "Head Six isn't a mental problem, she's a real entity sent by God" "Starbuck is Moses, bringing the wandering 12 Tribes of Israel to the Promised Land (what, did you miss the blatant copy of the bible?)"...

The only bit that was good toward the end was the fact that the entire Resistance on that temporary colony was actually headed by Cylons...