GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think you guys are reading too much into this.

Dragon Eggs exist and while rare they ARE around and other characters are mentioned as having them in the past. Illyrio could probally get more if he needed to. I don't think it's an overly complicated process to get them that requires so much planning and forethought. He could have given her Rubies or something instead, they are just like gemstones I think with a little history adding weight to them.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uhhh, Baerick never had a magic sword man.
Storm of Swords, chapter 34.

Unsmiling, Lord Beric laid the edge of his longsword against the palm of his left hand, and drew it slowly down. Blood ran dark from the gash he made, and washed over the steel.
And then the sword took fire.
As for magic being back in the world, I doubt we'll ever get some detailed breakdown like a Sanderson or Weeks book. and not ever story needs that. Sometimes magic being mysterious and weird works. No one has perfect answers in this story, just different plans and prophecies and schemes and superstitions. So I don't expect any one to have just he right answer.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Beric when fighting the Hound in Hollow Hill cut his hand with his sword and the blood set it on fire.
Yes, I know that. His blood is magic, not the sword
wink.png

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
As for magic being back in the world, I doubt we'll ever get some detailed breakdown like a Sanderson or Weeks book. and not ever story needs that. Sometimes magic being mysterious and weird works. No one has perfect answers in this story, just different plans and prophecies and schemes and superstitions. So I don't expect any one to have just he right answer.
Agreed. I would be tickled if GRRM doesn't spell everything out and leave the mechanics to the reader.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'll put myself down as agreeing to that to. It's a pretty fine balance between making magic this miraculous deus ex machina type nonsense which basically just does whatever the plot needs it to, and breaking it down and analyzing it and quantifying it to the point where it loses any sense of wonder or mystery, but I think GRRM has done a good job on that so far.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I kind of liked the mistborn approach to magic, was still pretty awesome, even though it was all (mostly) fully explained.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I kind of liked the mistborn approach to magic, was still pretty awesome, even though it was all (mostly) fully explained.
Yeah Brandon Sanderson always goes really detailed with his magic systems. Works great in his stories, but not every story needs that. Or could even accommodate it. Sanderson's stories all have one or two magic systems that do very specific things based on very specific rules.

The magic is all so wildly different and weird like in ASoIaF. We'd need a reference book to explain everything being related. Oh Dany doesn't burn, but also there's weird ghost zombies up north, but also you can get fucked to make shadow baby assassins, also some people can just make super realistic illusions, also others can physically climb up magic ropes, others come back from the dead repeatedly, others turn in to wolf psyshics...etc etc. It's all so different and there's no way to explain it satisfactorily. So don't waste our time trying.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So don't waste our time trying.
Yep.

Only problem I have with fiction that keeps magic magical is when they use it as a permanent deus ex machina.

Somehow the solution to 'wow Stannis is fucked and really should just join his brother Renly' being solved by magic was more acceptable because it wasn't Jon Snow or Arya getting away from goblins at the last minute due to sex-spawned shadow assassins.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah, he used the vagina demon to kill renly and the dude at storm's end, but hes willing to throw it all away and die sieging winterfell because john snow's only living "sister" needs rescuing? was melisandre all out of vagina demons to unleash on Reek Bolton?