GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What makes you think Stannis is dead? Oh, it's Astro.
uh stannis is alive, in this thread there is a section from the new book with him talking with theon. oh wait im too stupid to notice that. and i surely didnt mean that from stannis's point of view he was facing death and not from the reader's. ive learned that unless you see somebody die in these books that means they didnt die. and ill also assume that Lord Strong or whatever his name thats cersei's champion is really The Mountain.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
uh stannis is alive, in this thread there is a section from the new book with him talking with theon. oh wait im too stupid to notice that. and i surely didnt mean that from stannis's point of view he was facing death and not from the reader's. ive learned that unless you see somebody die in these books that means they didnt die. and ill also assume that Lord Strong or whatever his name thats cersei's champion is really The Mountain.
General consensus is:
No one is dead until you read about them dying first hand, and even then it's not always for real.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
General consensus is:
No one is dead until you read about them dying first hand, and even then it's not always for real.
He just fucking said that...what the fuck is happening here now? I know Chukstro is a fuckwit sometimes but you guys are just being random dipshits in his general direction at this point. Wait til he really says something stupid, he will, and attack. Pace yourselves for fuck's sake...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
General consensus is:
yeah man, when i was reading book 3 and i got to the part where the hound runs down arya with his axe at the red wedding just like he did with her friend the butcher's boy. i got so fucking mad i threw the book across the room and on the old board sent a PM to Chaos. saying i was done with these books because they killed her character off which is the best in the book and left so many things unanswered. his reply was "keep reading". and then foolishly realized it was a fake out. im still not sure if that silly dorne prince is really really dead. even though hes basically charcoal now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
He just fucking said that...what the fuck is happening here now? I know Chukstro is a fuckwit sometimes but you guys are just being random dipshits in his general direction at this point. Wait til he really says something stupid, he will, and attack. Pace yourselves for fuck's sake...
Settle down, I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just further elaborating.

He said:
ive learned that unless you see somebody die in these books that means they didnt die.
Which is pretty much true, and I expanded with
and even then it's not always for real.
Which is true, see the description of Rattleshirt-being-executed-as-Maynce and then finding out about the illusion and switcheroo.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
yeah, he used the vagina demon to kill renly and the dude at storm's end, but hes willing to throw it all away and die sieging winterfell because john snow's only living "sister" needs rescuing? was melisandre all out of vagina demons to unleash on Reek Bolton?
It's been a while but I vaguely remember something about how each vagina demon requires an immense amount of energy or lifeforce or whatever from the king, and Stannis has pretty much used his up so they can't use that get out of jail free card again.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
One of the few criticisms I have for this series is that they killed off Maester Aemon. He was one of my favorite characters and because of his death, so many things got delayed in being answered. dunno why grrm made him get sick en route to oldtown, he just as easily have gone to braavos, heard about the dragons and daeny and changed plans and him and sam made an adventure to mereen with sam becoming braver and aemon teaching him (and us) about the dragons and the beginnings of becoming a maester.

Sterling

El Presidente
One of the few criticisms I have for this series is that they killed off Maester Aemon. He was one of my favorite characters and because of his death, so many things got delayed in being answered. dunno why grrm made him get sick en route to oldtown, he just as easily have gone to braavos, heard about the dragons and daeny and changed plans and him and sam made an adventure to mereen with sam becoming braver and aemon teaching him (and us) about the dragons and the beginnings of becoming a maester.
While Aemon is awesome, I'm glad he's willing to kill off significant characters that people will be emotionally attached to. Also, I hope they don't give all the infos on everything magic.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Dude was old, it was his time.

I'm glad they didn't have him float around as Morgan Freeman explaining the plot to the reader. GRRM don't play like that.

SerpentBlade_sl

shitlord
Winter has come
biggrin.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude was old, it was his time.

I'm glad they didn't have him float around as Morgan Freeman explaining the plot to the reader. GRRM don't play like that.
Tyrion is far more guilty of Morgan Freemanning than Aemon ever was and nobody wants him killed off. Yeah aemon is way old. 102 if he lived that long a few more months of him on the road to mereen with sam explaining shit about the ruins and whar might have happened to valyria wouldnt be out of the question. Though it was a an exploding volcano that doomed valyria, right?

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Tyrion is far more guilty of Morgan Freemanning than Aemon ever was and nobody wants him killed off. Yeah aemon is way old. 102 if he lived that long a few more months of him on the road to mereen with sam explaining shit about the ruins and whar might have happened to valyria wouldnt be out of the question. Though it was a an exploding volcano that doomed valyria, right?
Right, but Tyrion lacks the scope that Maester Aemon possessed. With Tyrion, you're seeing a character decipher problems with this wit than outright knowing the inner workings of the kingdom.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Was it ever really explained what exactly happened to Old Valeria? I know they mention the "doom" and whatnot in the books, but has Martin ever gone into more detail in outside works/interviews?

I find the whole history of that area and the free cities really interesting. I really enjoyed Tirion's trip down the river because it was like taking a guided tour of historical sites. I'd love to get some sort of Atlas/Historical Compendium about the ASoIaF word.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I thought it was mentioned tha valyria was there one day and the next fire shot into the sky from there and it was gone. Nothing left but fiery destruction. I assumed this meant a mt krakatoa style apocolypse. Dunno what the death to look at it thing means. Maybe superstition based on truth of the area being too dangerous to hang around in.