GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't see how they tie everything up in 5 hours. Runtime on them from what I remember kept getting closer to 50 minutes than 60.

I can see that they'll tie up the major plot points and have a few lackluster scenes in between to give a conclusion to their B, C, D, E, and F storylines.

Bran, Sansa, Jon, Khalissi, Jaime, Cersi, Hound, Bronn, Sam, Arya... that's already 10 threads that they have 5 hours to deal with.

I don't see it. They're going to focus on the big 3 points and halfass the supporting plots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eh, I have hope after reading about the battle they filmed making Battle of the Bastards look like some kid brother of it. Problem is they have so much to deliver on in 6 episodes.

We obviously need the big ass battle, which a least if you believe them, we are going to get.

All of the smaller to larger "tie ups" that the separate stories between some of the majors need (Cleganebowl, Jaime v. Cersei, Melisandre/Varys' endings, Prince/ess who was promised, Azor Ahai, etc)

Meaningful character deaths and whatever the fuck they're going to do with the ending. I mean I know Martin handed them a loose finish to how he planned it all to end, but are they going to A) follow it mostly to the letter (who is alive or not at the end, maybe change some of the how people die)...or B) throw some curveballs in there depending on whether the ending is the obvious Jon and Dany rule after winning (or just one and the other dies).

We'll see how much it delivers on. It's so over-hyped at this point that I really can't imagine them satisfying everything what with all the different theories about how it all ends.
GRRM retired from this series, he handed the keys over to D&D. its theirs now to do with it what they want. they have no need to throw curveballs because they are finishing the thing GRRM was unable to. expect some fan favorites living to the end, but maybe some shocks. i'm pretty sure not-a-villain-cersei will die. dany will die, tyrion will live. arya will die. jon snow will live. all the dragons will die. sansa will live, jorah, dead, jaime , dead, bronn, dead, sam and his stupid woman will live and bran will die by warging into a dragon saving whats left ofg westeros. most of westeros is going to get fucked. all the sea people will die.

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't see how they tie everything up in 5 hours. Runtime on them from what I remember kept getting closer to 50 minutes than 60.

I can see that they'll tie up the major plot points and have a few lackluster scenes in between to give a conclusion to their B, C, D, E, and F storylines.

Bran, Sansa, Jon, Khalissi, Jaime, Cersi, Hound, Bronn, Sam, Arya... that's already 10 threads that they have 5 hours to deal with.

I don't see it. They're going to focus on the big 3 points and halfass the supporting plots.
The episodes are going to be longer this season.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Wait until the big reveal where The Night King isn't even the villain but the real villain is the woman he fell for and she's like 100000x more badass and the final confrontation of the show is between Danny and The Other (see, people thought the ice guys were the Others but they aren't there's only really one and it's the lady other that seduced the Night King) and that's the real Song of Ice and Fire - Danny and The Great Other fighting it out then something lesbians.
Since we know hbo is currently the HBONLY JUSTICE AND EMPOWERMENT channel, probably not the most accurate theory I have ever seen.
goofy gay shit sounds like the premise for season 8 of Game of Thrones.
Even goofier and gayer shit.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's almost as bad as the sand snake or tower of joy fight scenes.

Gavin, was re-watching S6. Aside from Arthur Dayne suddenly becoming a dual wielder, there is literally 0 reason to put the tower of joy fight scene in the same paragraph as the sand snake bs. Not calling it the greatest sword fight ever by any stretch, but it's 100x better than this trash:

UPcmC7b.gif

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
that sand snake shit was so bad. just look at the one on the right. the one on the left isn't actually doing anything.

how did they choose that coreography? I don't see how that made the cut. There had to have been multiple routines available.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I think the attempted Theon rescue at the Dreadfort was worse than the Sandsnake shit. Not that there really needs to be some kind of list for it.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I especially liked where the swordsman spins around ineffectively so he can expose his back to both opponents. Being able to see your enemies is for suckers.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, the Tower of Joy fight isn't anywhere near as overtly bad as the shit with the sand snakes. It's sort of misleading to list them together, but I personally consider them the two worst fight scenes in the series even if the sand snakes one looks far worse.

• 1Like

Merrith

Yes, the Tower of Joy fight isn't anywhere near as overtly bad as the shit with the sand snakes. It's sort of misleading to list them together, but I personally consider them the two worst fight scenes in the series even if the sand snakes one looks far worse.

I'd be curious to see the list. I thought the actual Tower of Joy fight scene was pretty good, aside from the canon fails that neckbeards would freak out about with it not being 7 on 3 and Dayne being a dual-wielder.

Chuk might want to know Howland Reed's hide and sneak ability scores to justify him being able to sneak up and stab Dayne in the back, but yeah.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd be curious to see the list. I thought the actual Tower of Joy fight scene was pretty good, aside from the canon fails that neckbeards would freak out about with it not being 7 on 3 and Dayne being a dual-wielder.

Chuk might want to know Howland Reed's hide and sneak ability scores to justify him being able to sneak up and stab Dayne in the back, but yeah.

My issue with dual-wielding is not specifically changing Dayne to be a dual-wielder but rather how absurdly impractical and stupid the use of two weapons is, especially when you're badly outnumbered against opponents who all have shields. Dayne should have died in seconds...except his opponents just stood around waiting to fight one of the most renowned fighters in the land one vs one instead of pressing their numbers advantage. The fight choreography itself was also terrible, with everyone who fought him very obviously swinging into his blocks instead of trying to kill him.

It was basically a cheeseball anime fight but without the advantage that animated shows have in that they can take creative liberty with the laws of physics to make the action look good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

My issue with dual-wielding is not specifically changing Dayne to be a dual-wielder but rather how absurdly impractical and stupid the use of two weapons is, especially when you're badly outnumbered against opponents who all have shields. Dayne should have died in seconds...except his opponents just stood around waiting to fight one of the most renowned fighters in the land one vs one instead of pressing their numbers advantage. The fight choreography itself was also terrible, with everyone who fought him very obviously swinging into his blocks instead of trying to kill him.

It was basically a cheeseball anime fight but without the advantage that animated shows have in that they can take creative liberty with the laws of physics to make the action look good.

It looked better than a lot of their other fights, imo. I agree the choice to make him dual-wield was silly, but they did the best with it they could to make him seem a badass. Considering how many other fight scenes have been edited a lot more heavily, I think they did all right...but I'm glad you at least agree it was loads better than the Sand Snake shit. I agree with whoever said it never should have survived the cutting process.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i never rolled a rogue, rogues and dr00ds were always the l337 kids choices for classes IMO. i played multi purpose charatcers like shaman, ranger, monk and SK. the only problem i found with that ToJ fight was Dayne dual wielding Dawn with some lesser shit sword. Dawn is an iconic sword and should never be partnered with some other trash blade. he needed a shield.

• 2Like

Merrith

i never rolled a rogue, rogues and dr00ds were always the l337 kids choices for classes IMO. i played multi purpose charatcers like shaman, ranger, monk and SK. the only problem i found with that ToJ fight was Dayne dual wielding Dawn with some lesser shit sword. Dawn is an iconic sword and should never be partnered with some other trash blade. he needed a shield.

Yeah I always play the ranged classes too. Ranger, hunter, sniper, bard, etc. They can't tell me they couldn't have had a badass sword made to be Dawn as well, Oathkeeper, Ice, Longclaw, etc are all very distinctive and look good. Only explanation I can think of for why they chose to have him dual-wield is "looks cool".

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I always play the ranged classes too. Ranger, hunter, sniper, bard, etc. They can't tell me they couldn't have had a badass sword made to be Dawn as well, Oathkeeper, Ice, Longclaw, etc are all very distinctive and look good. Only explanation I can think of for why they chose to have him dual-wield is "looks cool".
Dawn is far more of an epic blade than any other sword on this show/novel.
Dawn
History

According to legend, the founder of House Dayne tracked a falling star to the mouth of the Torentine, and Starfall was then constructed where a magical stone was discovered.[2] The greatsword Dawn was forged from the heart of this fallen star[3] and has possibly been wielded by Daynes for ten thousand years.[4] The sigil of the Daynes depicts the white sword and falling star.[5]
The blade is as pale as milkglass,[1] unlike dark Valyrian steel, but is similar in strength and sharpness.[6] Unlike other houses who have ancestral swords, House Dayne does not pass its sword from lord to heir. Only a knight of House Dayne who is deemed worthy can wield Dawn, and the Sword of the Morning is envied throughout the Seven Kingdoms

• 2Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
No. Cmon... That was bad.

Tower Of Joy 04
This is better. They should have went for a change in style, a dream-like sequence, like a moving painting or something.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If they wanted him to look like a badass while also standing out visually, they should have had him using Dawn as either a 2 hander or hand and a half with a buckler and have him just wade fearlessly into the mob of them knowing he's gonna die anyway, and have him kick the shit out of most of them while being worn down by the fact that he can't defend himself from that many opponents at once. Instead we got a bunch of stupid looking 1v1 fights leading up to an anti-climactic backstab.

• 1Like