GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why do people say that?
Ned obstinately trying to protect women and children is what started this whole thing, not Ned unwilling to operate in gray areas.

Ned, took a hit to his honor and vows to protect Jon snow. Grey area, in the name of protecting a child.
Argued against killing Dany as a child.
Ned went against the laws, customs, etc to attempt to protect Circe and her children from Robert, due to Circes treason. Grey area, where he was clearly in the wrong, in the name of protecting children. THAT got him killed, and that started this. He tried to offer shelter and a way out to someone that committed the highest of treason... how is that not willing to operate in a gray area? arguably "operating in a grey area" by not killing the treasonous whore immediately, was his biggest mistake.
Ned then sullied his own good name, by pleading guilty to treason that he didnt do, in the name of protecting his children..

Protecting children was his only "flaw". He was just fine with many other grey areas, breaking tradition, breaking vows, laws, etc as needed.

it's been a long time so i don't remember all the specifics... but i would argue that the most honorable thing would be to sacrifice your personal honor for the sake of someone else. being honorable and law-abiding isn't always the same thing. ned was willing to let his own name get dragged through the mud to keep others safe, which is incredibly honorable. however, in hindsight, playing the game that everyone else in king's landing was playing COULD have saved a whole lot of people. or it would have just continued the nonsense that had been going on for generations, solving nothing. so /shrug

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
This thread is going to end up in HoF right? Linked from TV and open to posts of course.

It deserves it.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

I use real world examples because as others pointed out, GoT was successful for deviating from tropes where possible

j00t

i don't even remember any nude scene from cersei in the first season... also, i feel like you're implying something important with her needing a stand-in, but for the life of me i can't figure out what it is

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just felt like bringing it up. I was making a joke that she was such a diva she wouldn't let them kill her off satisfyingly. It was a stretch alright

• 1WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I suspect I know the turbo-gay reason they made Cersei and Jamie die how they did...

The castle. The weight of the castle both figuratively and literally crushed them.

Artists are so insufferable with this trash. Sacrificed a satisfying moment for something maybe 10% of the viewing population will even notice.
they sure are, they even ripped off that scene from Rob Zombie's horrible version of Halloween2. they introduced a pale horse to signify Michael Meyers was death incarnate.
and here we go again.
8dbe871a4d414823-600x338.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why do people say that?
Ned obstinately trying to protect women and children is what started this whole thing, not Ned unwilling to operate in gray areas.

Ned, took a hit to his honor and vows to protect Jon snow. Grey area, in the name of protecting a child.
Argued against killing Dany as a child.
Ned went against the laws, customs, etc to attempt to protect Circe and her children from Robert, due to Circes treason. Grey area, where he was clearly in the wrong, in the name of protecting children. THAT got him killed, and that started this. He tried to offer shelter and a way out to someone that committed the highest of treason... how is that not willing to operate in a gray area? arguably "operating in a grey area" by not killing the treasonous whore immediately, was his biggest mistake.
Ned then sullied his own good name, by pleading guilty to treason that he didnt do, in the name of protecting his children..

Protecting children was his only "flaw". He was just fine with many other grey areas, breaking tradition, breaking vows, laws, etc as needed.
Any postulating on GoT is a waste of time now, even within the context of arguing on the internet, because the last couple of seasons were so internally inconsistent that nothing really makes sense.

That's the most depressing aspect of a great franchise being torpedoed, the culture, geopolitics, characters, technology, fantasy, geography and everything else stops being worth consideration and contemplation.

200.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

I just felt like bringing it up. I was making a joke that she was such a diva she wouldn't let them kill her off satisfyingly. It was a stretch alright

she never really came across as a diva, i don't think. she's done nude scenes before...

i read a thing from her that said she was initially upset with her death, but said that the more her and nikolai talked about it, the more it made sense that she would die in jaime's arms.

honestly, i don't think anyone is upset that she died in his arms. it was just her whole characterization seemed kind of throne away this season.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Twitter threads normally suck, but I this one is informative.

I don't think this rings true. The failure in the last season can't be described in a plot-driven storytelling vs an organic one. It's much better described by stupidity, arrogance and laziness.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
she never really came across as a diva, i don't think. she's done nude scenes before...
Isn't this the actress who had it put into her contract she wouldn't even be in the same building as the guy who played Bronn because he stopped dating her because she was...such a diva? WTFO

j00t

Isn't this the actress who had it put into her contract she wouldn't even be in the same building as the guy who played Bronn because he stopped dating her because she was...such a diva? WTFO
well, bronn has it in his contract too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was kind of upset she died that way. She deserved a nice payback from Arya - but I guess Arya had her arc complete with the Hound so we can't hope for that.

j00t

I was kind of upset she died that way. She deserved a nice payback from Arya - but I guess Arya had her arc complete with the Hound so we can't hope for that.

i REALLY wanted her to have some self-realization... realization that for every action she did FOR her kids, she secured their deaths. i didn't really care WHO killed her, just that she died with the understanding she was wrong.