GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We also overestimate the rate of advancement in previous societies because of the rate we're currently at. 1000 years ago, you could fall asleep and wake up 200 years later and not notice much of a difference. Today, you couldn't wake up 10 years later without being overwhelmed with new technology.

Yeah, but fantasy tends to involve a complete lack of any progress at all, from metallurgy, to warfare tactics and equipment, construction techniques, and all the various things that did progress (albeit slowly) during our earlier periods. Most settings act like they're in a complete stasis, rather than having slow progress, with the usual outliers being post-catastrophe dark ages after a golden age period. (GoT seems to be a mix of these two. Post Valyria progressing into stasis)

And I'm OK with that, because I'll just read some sci-fi if I'm in the mood for caring about technological advancement. For fantasy, I'm good as long as things fit within the established parameters of the setting

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not like we have any other advanced civilizations to compare to. Maybe our civilization would be considered to have advanced very quickly relative to other sapient species.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
We also overestimate the rate of advancement in previous societies because of the rate we're currently at. 1000 years ago, you could fall asleep and wake up 200 years later and not notice much of a difference. Today, you couldn't wake up 10 years later without being overwhelmed with new technology.
what new tech didnt we have ten years ago?

Ladro

Anomaly
So basically D&D made a shit season so they could go make Star Wars, is that right? What assholes.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I don't have much faith it will be good. But it does have potential.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I want a sci-fi GOT set in the future. With spore drive and black alert.

That would fucking rock.

• 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The Doom of Valyria occured 5000 years before GoT, when every ruling house in Valyria had dragons and House Targaryen was a minor house that had little prospect. Around the same time the Doom happened, the Andals crossed over to Westeros and began their war with the Children of the Forest, who lived in Westeros with their Weir wood forests. As the children of the forest lost battle after battle to the superior numbers and army of men, in desperation the children created the White Walkers.

A picture of Valyria right before The Doom. Hopefully its more Conan than Wonder Woman. You'll probably see two threads in the new show, Valyria day to day life (think ancient Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian civs) before "something" fucks up their entire civilization and another thread of Andals conquering Westeros, aka European White conquistadors invading South America

Fourteen_Flames.jpg

meanwhile in modern day Westeros

Valyria is Rome..The lore behind it is taken almost one for one from Roman lore. Even the Targs were named after one of the original Roman Kings. (This is why I was poking fun at Szlia Szlia for the modernity thing :p In the books, dragons are literally symbolic of modernity. The fire of industry, roads and literature which powered Rome but was lost in a lot of Western Europe in the early "dark ages" (Though they were not nearly as "dark" as most people assume. The regression did last a few hundred years though).)

Also, the Andal invasion was a few thousand years before the Doom. The doom happened about a century before the invasion of Westeros by the Targs.

The Andals in "real history" were essentially the Anglo-Saxxons. The First Men were the Celts, and the Children of the Forest were the original tribes in Britain. The Targs were mostly symbolic of the Norman invasion, William the Conqueror. (Martin is kind of free with his symbolism timeline, condensing and expanding time periods as needed.)

If this takes place 5000 years before, the most notable events would be the Andal Invasion of the First Men and the Ghiscari Wars (Analogous to Rome vs Carthage. In Real history these events were centuries between these events--the Anglo Saxxons actually began migrating due to Rome's collapse.)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, but fantasy tends to involve a complete lack of any progress at all, from metallurgy, to warfare tactics and equipment, construction techniques, and all the various things that did progress (albeit slowly) during our earlier periods. Most settings act like they're in a complete stasis, rather than having slow progress, with the usual outliers being post-catastrophe dark ages after a golden age period. (GoT seems to be a mix of these two. Post Valyria progressing into stasis)

And I'm OK with that, because I'll just read some sci-fi if I'm in the mood for caring about technological advancement. For fantasy, I'm good as long as things fit within the established parameters of the setting
What are you talking about? Have you seen how much barb technology has advanced in just one season?

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 207477

All joking aside, one thing that’s been nagging me until this last episode:

Grey Worm was chosen as the commander of the Unsullied by the other members? I had always assumed it was because he must have been the most skilled fighter since he’s not particularly large and in theory not as physically powerful. But we haven’t really seen what he can do.

Can anyone correct me on this if I’m wrong?

It was nice to see some of the focus on his fighting and I’m hoping Jon has to go through him in the final episode.
Pretty sure that comes up in the show, he explains to Missandei that even tho other men are stronger, more skilled, faster or smarter than him they all choose him because he was never afraid and they wanted their leader to have that quality.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Grey Worm could have been such a better character, but instead, like most things with this show over the last 4 seasons, his development was shortstopped because a love angle had to be inserted for the sake of the plot.

Even though he is a dickless murdering machine he catches feelings for Dany's closest adviser creating an emotional element/vulnerability for the character in order to serve some purpose down the road.

Which we just witnessed with Missandie's execution, leading to him being broken, which jived with Dany's descent into vengeance and brutality, which he wholeheartedly supports now because he too suffered the loss of his closest (manufactured) campanion.

He should of served as a stoic backstop to Dany, her last line of defense, politically and physically. Emotionless and steadfast in his duty. Also a badass that viewers know is a capable fighter, which only further adds weight to his character and purpose (protecting/fighting for Dany).

Instead they turned him into a love interest who makes mean faces and has one of the most cringeworthy accents in the entire show. The less he talks the better, instead we have to listen to him stumble through awkward feelings of affection and watch him become a means to an end.

But at least there was some kind of reason for it. With a character like Sam on the other hand, the buildup and development of his character was stunted and completely reversed because....who the fuck knows.

That's the type of shit that just flat out doesn't make sense and is inexcusable. Point is, this used to be a great show, and it could have been even better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users