GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
2009 mine as well be 1999 imo.

Things have changed so much, between phones, tablets, cars, avionics, VR, cloud computing, economics (the rise of Uber, Airbnb, and other tech start ups like Snapchat etc.) the list goes on and on.

This is a difficult argument to win chuk.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So, the argument seems to have strayed from Jive's original assertion of being overwhelmed with the technology of just the past 10 years. The problem with arguing about this is it's hyperbole. A smartphone isn't going to overwhelm anyone that has been in a coma for 10 years, but it is a giant leap in technology that has changed society on a massive scale as a whole.

If you really want to realize the scope of how overwhelming technology advancements are, you only need to go visit an elderly family member and watch them struggle with the most basic of tech interactions to get a good understanding of it. Even easy to use systems are beyond many of them. Even now in my late 30's, I'm falling behind at a rapid pace when it comes to keeping up with tech. It's just too rapid and I don't have enough time in the day to stay up to date.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Self driving cars, facial recognition, rocket boosters that fly back and land in sync autonomously, wireless everything, 3d printed body parts. You literally have a device in your pocket that would seem like science fiction 15 years ago. To suggest that progress has stagnated is demonstrably wrong. It's not even an argument

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
So, the argument seems to have strayed from Jive's original assertion of being overwhelmed with the technology of just the past 10 years. The problem with arguing about this is it's hyperbole.

It wasn't hyperbole. You're just misinterpreting what I meant by 'overwhelmed'. It doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be able to function. I could walk into an art museum and feel overwhelmed.
The point being, someone from 1000 years ago could quite literally be transported 200 years into the future and notice hardly any difference. You can't say that about someone from 10 years ago. Go grab someone from 1992 and show them the shit that's going on today and they'd be flabbergasted.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
2009 mine as well be 1999 imo.

Things have changed so much, between phones, tablets, cars, avionics, VR, cloud computing, economics (the rise of Uber, Airbnb, and other tech start ups like Snapchat etc.) the list goes on and on.

This is a difficult argument to win chuk.
uber founded 2009
air bnb 2008
snapchat? lol

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
when was the last time we had something NEW in technology instead of the same things just faster and more accessible?

tjiu4ol0cu2xgyk90nz2.gif

An experimental treatment with bacteria-fighting viruses may have helped save the life of a British teenager with a critical "superbug" infection, according to a new report.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Self driving cars, facial recognition, rocket boosters that fly back and land in sync autonomously, wireless everything, 3d printed body parts. You literally have a device in your pocket that would seem like science fiction 15 years ago. To suggest that progress has stagnated is demonstrably wrong. It's not even an argument
self driving cars have been around a LONG time
ditto facial recognition
bio printing has been around since 2003
ten years ago you could say the same thing in regards to smartphones. i dunno why you wont accept that we are just improving on stuff developed long ago. nothing new to change the world. we're just getting better at it.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
self driving cars have been around a LONG time
ditto facial recognition
bio printing has been around since 2003
ten years ago you could say the same thing in regards to smartphones. i dunno why you wont accept that we are just improving on stuff developed long ago. nothing new to change the world. we're just getting better at it.

It's shocking how simple minded you can be at times.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
that thing is a piece of junk. the Fold is better, but they just stuck 2 regular Samsung smartphones together and improved on the screen.
If you can't understand what a breakthrough folding screen tech is, then your ability to discern "advancement" is so skewed you won't recognize it.

• 2Like
  • 1Ice Burn

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If you can't understand what a breakthrough folding screen tech is, then your ability to discern "advancement" is so skewed you won't recognize it.
that folding thing doesnt do anything different than your average smartphone or tablet. come on man.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I thought cassette technology was different from records, at least. Do you still have one of these because "meh, what's the difference, they all play music?"

71ZAp8b9SnL._SX425_.jpg
nah, it doesnt fold. for gods sake. if only it folded. it would be like BRAND NEW.

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Blown