GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Fucker

Log Wizard
Even now in my late 30's, I'm falling behind at a rapid pace when it comes to keeping up with tech. It's just too rapid and I don't have enough time in the day to stay up to date.

Just memorize all the tech buzzwords and learn how to play golf.

You'll be in management before you know it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea Uber and Airbnb might of started in 2009, but they didnt mature and become the behemoths they are until later, changing entire industries in the process.

And yes, WhatsApp, Snapchat, etc along with other tech companies started to blow up and created a wave of new advertising dollars, changing the entire social media space.

75% of Amazons profit is based on their cloud services now, cloud computing has been massive and has fundamentally changed the way companies do business and data is stored.

I dont know if innovation to you means nuclear technology breakthroughs, or the fucking microwave etc, but only an idiot would think the world is basically the same in terms of technology in a broad sense over a DECADES time. Cmon bruh.

What if someone told you the United States would be the number 1 producer of oil in the world by 2018 back in 09? You would have laughed and called them insane.

Yet here we are, thanks to advancements in fracking technology.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
nah, it doesnt fold. for gods sake. if only it folded. it would be like BRAND NEW.

If that thing folded into something that could fit in your pocket you'd make a god damn fortune selling it to hipsters.

Kidding aside, you're still missing the forest through the trees. What's important is not the tablet. Its the material that makes the tablet, which makes about a thousand new things possible, especially as the material advancement continues.

Your thought process would be like looking at the LED in the 80's and saying "big deal, its just a light"...Its just silly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
You guys realize its fucking Astr0 you are trying to talk with here right? Change your name and attempt a rebrand all you like, but BASF is still IG Farben.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If that thing folded into something that could fit in your pocket you'd make a god damn fortune selling it to hipsters.

Kidding aside, you're still missing the forest through the trees. What's important is not the tablet. Its the material that makes the tablet, which makes about a thousand new things possible, especially as the material advancement continues.

Your thought process would be like looking at the LED in the 80's and saying "big deal, its just a light"...Its just silly.
i think we're agreeing on the same things. you're arguing that i refuse to believe that we havent made improvements on existing items. thats not what i'm saying. we have been constantly improving existing tech for forever to make things more manageable, efficient or compact. what i'm saying is, the improvements are nothing that impressive in the last ten years. ten years ago i had a smartphone with a camera and it had apps. ten years and 5 smartphones later, not much has changed. in fact i dont even use my smartphone close to how much i used one ten years ago. i find them very distracting now and it depresses me seeing families in restaurants all looking at their phones instead of interacting with each other. i used to think all this smart shit was revolutionary and amazing, but not anymore. they're just fancy fidget spinners in my eyes. ooh. look at it spin!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You guys realize its fucking Astr0 you are trying to talk with here right? Change your name and attempt a rebrand all you like, but BASF is still IG Farben.

We fight not because we wish, but because we must.

i think we're agreeing on the same things. you're arguing that i refuse to believe that we havent made improvements on existing items. thats not what i'm saying. we have been constantly improving existing tech for forever to make things more manageable, efficient or compact. what i'm saying is, the improvements are nothing that impressive in the last ten years. ten years ago i had a smartphone with a camera and it had apps. ten years and 5 smartphones later, not much has changed. in fact i dont even use my smartphone close to how much i used one ten years ago. i find them very distracting now and it depresses me seeing families in restaurants all looking at their phones instead of interacting with each other. i used to think all this smart shit was revolutionary and amazing, but not anymore. they're just fancy fidget spinners in my eyes. ooh. look at it spin!

It's only not impressive to you, a person unable to think beyond their nose as to what all is going on in those phones, and what's going on in the infrastructure involved with their function. You are saying the equivalent of the current internet not being that impressive because you once used a 28.8 modem, and because you hate social media, all the while ignoring the absurd amount of data that is now being provided to the world and mankind through the thousands upon thousands of improvements since those original modems.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

No, I'm arguing what made that screen fold is a revolution in material science that is totally new, its only been used to make an old product better. Which is what pretty much EVERY invention after language and fire have been. (Because the only two thing constraining human advancement is communication and energy production, that's it. Everything else is derivative.)

Don't believe me? Give me an example of what you believe was a bonafide "new" invention.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
We fight not because we wish, but because we must.

It's only not impressive to you, a person unable to think beyond their nose as to what all is going on in those phones, and what's going on in the infrastructure involved with their function. You are saying the equivalent of the current internet not being that impressive because you once used a 28.8 modem, and because you hate social media, all the while ignoring the absurd amount of data that is now being provided to the world and mankind through the thousands upon thousands of improvements since those original modems.
28.8k was obsolete 20 years ago. i started EQ with 56k. now who's moving goalposts?

• 1Picard

Fucker

Log Wizard
in fact i dont even use my smartphone close to how much i used one ten years ago.

I have an iphone 8 something. I just use it for carplay and taking a random pic. I haven't even loaded a single app on it. I mean, it's cool that Apple is crushing it on the CPU front, and their screens are great...I just don't really give a toss anymore.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every person I know who watches it, all normies pretty much, are like wtf happened this season, nothing makes sense, etc. even the one apologist guy started to complain after the long night episode.
and yet The Long Night is 8.0 on imdb.

• 3WTF

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tech derail was fun, but I'd rather postulate on the chances of Bran warging something and making it retarded.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No, I'm arguing what made that screen fold is a revolution in material science that is totally new, its only been used to make an old product better. Which is what pretty much EVERY invention after language and fire have been. (Because the only two thing constraining human advancement is communication and energy production, that's it. Everything else is derivative.)

Don't believe me? Give me an example of what you believe was a bonafide "new" invention.
Windows 3.1

Fucker

Log Wizard
Tech derail was fun, but I'd rather postulate on the chances of Bran warging something and making it retarded.

4.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have an iphone 8 something. I just use it for carplay and taking a random pic. I haven't even loaded a single app on it. I mean, it's cool that Apple is crushing it on the CPU front, and their screens are great...I just don't really give a toss anymore.
i just use mine now for coupons when i eat out, i prefer the paper coupons because most of the burger flippers in the restaurants have a strangely difficult time adding the code into their cash register thing. millenials, you're supposed to be better at this shit than me. i grew up on a tandy color computer. these bitches would have had an annueryism trying to work a dos prompt.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just DOS with pictures and the ability to do multiple things at once.
i was referring to the revolution it caused. before Win 3.1, DOS literally scared people from even looking at a computer, when 3.1 hit it put computers in everyone's homes. it was a giant leap. in the space of a few years. making my phone fold isnt going to change anything. smartwatches, remember those? how about 3d televisions? anyone use those things anymore?

-edit
oh heres a another big one. Netflix streaming services. when it was introduced in 2007 it caused a revolution. in 2007.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
OLED... actually maybe that's a bad example, the principle has been around a long time, we just never had a practical use for it until very recently.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cloud has... a lot of limitations. The primary one isn't storage (that's the expensive datacenter shit) it's actually the networking. If you are using distributed systems (as most SAAS companies are) that means you have a shitload of communication that is just organization of the 0s and 1s, not even the data your customers/company are actually working with. Getting that shit talking to each other reliably in the cloud is -not- cheap.

Not a majestic amount of hope for the last episode, but I actually relatively enjoyed the most recent, as it was reminiscent of shit like the storming of Normandy's beaches on D day in Saving Private Ryan. Just some super horrific/semi-realistic visuals of shit. Getting. Fucked.

I'm now just curious if the spoilers are dead on or were from a previous script that wasn't finalized before the leaker went all Assange.