GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
When the fuck is Mel going to get a clue? The one thing I find really irritating in multiple POV books is when you know something as the reader that certain characters do not, and they continuously make bad decision after bad decision based on their lack of knowledge. It's fine when I don't know as the reader, we're both surprised together when they learn the truth. It's even fine when you learn about something, right before a character who doesn't does something stupid and finds out the hard way, but it's painful when you know and have known since book 1 and the character continues to do dumb shit for 5 goddamn books based on their lack of knowledge. It's like watching a movie and a character starts to do something and you start screaming at the TV "No! don't go in there! your going to die you idiot what are you doing!?!"

That's how I feel about reading all of the stannis stuff (even though I like him as a character) as he's completely influenced by Melisandre and she's basing everything she tells him on bullshit. I just want to scream at the book "Khal Drogo was the king's blood that was burned to awaken the dragons out of the stone!!!!!!! STFU about it you're 3 years late already!!! How the fuck have you not heard about the god damn dragons! She's conquered half of Essos already surely somebody has told you??? Sailors in every port in Westeros are talking about it! The maesters of the citadel in Old town know! The Iron born know! Hell even motherfucking Samwell Tarly knows about it already! get a clue!"
It it common knowledge that she hatched the dragons in Khal Drogo's funeral pyre? Also, who would consider Khal Drogo's blood "King's Blood"? "Awesome Blood", definitely, but "King's Blood" is rather arguable.

Really though, with communication being what it is and so much disinformation and confusion in wartime. Eh, I dunno.

Also keep in mind Stannis' wife is sold on Melisandre completely, so she may beat him if he goes against her!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When the fuck is Mel going to get a clue? The one thing I find really irritating in multiple POV books is when you know something as the reader that certain characters do not, and they continuously make bad decision after bad decision based on their lack of knowledge. It's fine when I don't know as the reader, we're both surprised together when they learn the truth. It's even fine when you learn about something, right before a character who doesn't does something stupid and finds out the hard way, but it's painful when you know and have known since book 1 and the character continues to do dumb shit for 5 goddamn books based on their lack of knowledge. It's like watching a movie and a character starts to do something and you start screaming at the TV "No! don't go in there! your going to die you idiot what are you doing!?!"

That's how I feel about reading all of the stannis stuff (even though I like him as a character) as he's completely influenced by Melisandre and she's basing everything she tells him on bullshit. I just want to scream at the book "Khal Drogo was the king's blood that was burned to awaken the dragons out of the stone!!!!!!! STFU about it you're 3 years late already!!! How the fuck have you not heard about the god damn dragons! She's conquered half of Essos already surely somebody has told you??? Sailors in every port in Westeros are talking about it! The maesters of the citadel in Old town know! The Iron born know! Hell even motherfucking Samwell Tarly knows about it already! get a clue!"
Since when are awakening dragons the only thing Melisandre's god is planning on doing?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
who would consider Khal Drogo's blood "King's Blood"? "Awesome Blood", definitely, but "King's Blood" is rather arguable.
The 100k Dothraki of his Khalasar to start with. In addition to the nobles of each of the free cities that paid tribute to him as he passed through to prevent his khalasar from sacking their cities. 100x more people consider him a "king" than Stannis Baratheon, yet he's still a King.

Khal means King. It's the Dothraki equivalent, Similarly to Khan (as in Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, etc), which meant "King" to the mongols, of which the Dothraki are loosely based on (the whole Nomadic Horse Archers thing).

How is it arguable exactly? Being a king is based on belief by the people that you are their king, which is based on your ability to lead and conquer other people. That's how the Targaryen's became kings, it's how Robert Baratheon became King. And we know that the Baratheon blood is considered "king's blood" for Mel's work. By Mel's definition even Mance Rayder is a King and his blood would work, as would his son's, which is why Jon sent the child away, along with Aemon (as Targaryen blood would definitely count). This is despite the fact that in Free Folk culture as well as Dothraki, being the son of the king does not necessarily make you the "heir". If Khal Drogo had lived long enough his son would have taken over, but typically in Dothraki culture if a Khal dies while his children are still young they are killed as well by rival khal's to prevent them from challenging their rule. In Free Folk Culture there is no hereditary line of "kings." People follow whoever they want, based on their ability to lead.

Even assuming that the leeches did nothing, and that she simply saw the fates of the 3 named in the fires and was conning Stannis, she still insists that there was a better way for him to win, that she could use Edric's (Gendry's in the show) as a sacrifice, burn his blood and awaken the Dragon from the stone. The power in a king's blood is from people's belief in that person as King and that being a King is some sort of higher blood than being a commoner. It's not like there's something magical in their DNA that makes their blood different than anyone else's.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Since when are awakening dragons the only thing Melisandre's god is planning on doing?
It's not, nor did I ever make a statement suggesting that. I said it was annoying knowing something for 5 books that this character doesn't know, and watching her (and more importantly Stannis) do all this stuff based on that lack of knowledge.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hodor is AA reborn. He's got Targ blood, he was actually behind the burning of Winterfell(his beloved home!) where he forged his sword(Bran).

Deal with it, bitches.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Khal means King. It's the Dothraki equivalent, Similarly to Khan (as in Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, etc), which meant "King" to the mongols, of which the Dothraki are loosely based on (the whole Nomadic Horse Archers thing).

How is it arguable exactly? Being a king is based on belief by the people that you are their king, which is based on your ability to lead and conquer other people. That's how the Targaryen's became kings, it's how Robert Baratheon became King. And we know that the Baratheon blood is considered "king's blood" for Mel's work. By Mel's definition even Mance Rayder is a King and his blood would work, as would his son's, which is why Jon sent the child away, along with Aemon (as Targaryen blood would definitely count). This is despite the fact that in Free Folk culture as well as Dothraki, being the son of the king does not necessarily make you the "heir". If Khal Drogo had lived long enough his son would have taken over, but typically in Dothraki culture if a Khal dies while his children are still young they are killed as well by rival khal's to prevent them from challenging their rule. In Free Folk Culture there is no hereditary line of "kings." People follow whoever they want, based on their ability to lead.

Even assuming that the leeches did nothing, and that she simply saw the fates of the 3 named in the fires and was conning Stannis, she still insists that there was a better way for him to win, that she could use Edric's (Gendry's in the show) as a sacrifice, burn his blood and awaken the Dragon from the stone. The power in a king's blood is from people's belief in that person as King and that being a King is some sort of higher blood than being a commoner. It's not like there's something magical in their DNA that makes their blood different than anyone else's.
Because I don't think Stannis, or the vast majority of Westrosi would agree "Khal" = "King", no matter the linguistic technicalities. So if you suggested to them that his blood was the "Blood of Kings" they'd probably chuckle before stabbing you in the face for the suggestion.

It was suggested that Stannis, in-character, should know better. I just don't think a lot of Westrosi would make that "Khal"="King" connection, even if they did know exactly how Dany hatched the eggs, which I'm not clear how common knowledge her murdering her husband played into it.

(HODOR!)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is the spoiler thread, Iannis have you read the books?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...s_of_Castamere

Origins

The red lion of Reyne confronts the golden lion of Lannister
The Rains of Castamere immortalized the destruction of House Reyne by Tywin Lannister. House Reyne was obliterated after they rebelled against their liege lord, Tytos Lannister, who was perceived as weak by his own vassals. To restore Lannister dominance, Tytos' son, Tywin, marched against the upstart Lord Reyne. By the end of the rebellion, Castamere had been put to the torch and all members of House Reyne executed. The title is thus a play on words, as the "rains" fall over the empty halls of the "Reynes" who have been killed to the last man.[1]
The lyrics heavily reference the fact that the sigil of House Reyne was also a lion, but a red one instead of the golden lion used as the sigil of House Lannister. The rebellion of the Reynes against the Lannisters was thus seen as a clash of lions.

In the decades since young Tywin reasserted House Lannister's dominance by crushing the Reynes, The Rains of Castemere went on to become very popular with soldiers of the Westerlands, becoming an "anthem" of sorts for House Lannister. This extends to the point that even Western soldiers sometimes refer to it simply as, "the Lannister song".[2]

Lyrics
And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that Lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, The Rains of Castamere was composed after Tywin Lannister's victory over their rebellious bannermen: House Reyne of Castamere and the ancient House Tarbeck of Tarbeck Hall. Lord Tytos Lannister, Tywin's father, had been a kind but weak ruler. He loaned money to lords who never bothered to repay him and his vassals openly ignored his orders and mocked him in court. When Lord Reyne, known as the Red Lion of Castamere, and Lady Ellyn Tarbeck rose in rebellion, Tywin took it upon himself to deal with the rebellion and wiped out both of the upstart lords, their families and households and put their seats of power to the torch.
Later when another lord and Tywin Lannister had a disagreement over a matter, Tywin Lannister's reply was a minstrel sent with a harp to play the song to this lord who immediately changed his mind and complied.

It is noted as being one of the few songs that the stern Tywin Lannister seems to enjoy, as he is fond of the lyrics.

On a side note, I'd love to see a short story from Martin centered on Tywin and relaying this entire part of the lore. Would be a good excuse to expound a bit more on Tywin's background and character. In my opinion, Tywin is one of the most compelling characters in the books, I still feel like the end of Book 3 comes close to the epicness and quality of a modern Greek style tragedy.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
Man, my wife and i were cracking up just thinking of the actor playing hodor yelling "line?" Acting like he forgot his lines....asking why he didnt get his script yet. Writers just giving him a post-it note with HODOR written in magic marker.

I would have so much fun if i had that role, when they wait for me to say "hodor" just start quoting shakespeare in a posh english accent ending with .......hodor...just hopig for someone to go all samuel L jackson yelling "say hodor again! I dare you! I double dare you!....

Hodor

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Because I don't think Stannis, or the vast majority of Westrosi would agree "Khal" = "King", no matter the linguistic technicalities. So if you suggested to them that his blood was the "Blood of Kings" they'd probably chuckle before stabbing you in the face for the suggestion.

It was suggested that Stannis, in-character, should know better. I just don't think a lot of Westrosi would make that "Khal"="King" connection, even if they did know exactly how Dany hatched the eggs, which I'm not clear how common knowledge her murdering her husband played into it.

(HODOR!)
Who gives a shit what Stannis thinks? Or the people of Westeros for that matter? It's R'Hllor who cares what blood is sacrificed to him, or barring that Melisandre. In her mind Targaryen blood counts, Baratheon blood counts, even Mance Rayder's blood counts. So yes, absolutely Khal Drogo's blood counts.

It was suggested by who about what about Stannis? I said Mel would know immediately if she heard the story, which is becoming more widespread throughout Westeros. The details of her burning Khal Drogo's body and that hatching the Eggs is probably not super well known, as only the hundred or so of what remained of her khalasar witnessed it directly, and people are more in awe over the fact that dragons have returned rather than the manner in which they have returned. Yet she's going around calling herself "The Unburnt" among her litany of titles, and people asking about where the dragon's came from and what that title means certainly should lead to their origin being spread as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
All this talk about blood makes what the show did with the leeches really rub me the wrong way. She said the names of Joffrey, Robb, and Balon, who we all know die. When I first saw it, I just figured it'd be a "something kinda crappy" happens to them all. But no, we know they all die...and soon. So basically she has the power to kill everyone with just a 2 minute ritual. Why the fuck was this added to the show at all?

Edit: And now I feel retarded because I somehow missed all that in the book. So apparently the only change there was it was Edric instead. I'm starting to feel like GRRM fucked up adding that into ASoS.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If mance rayder's blood counts as king&
s blood, I dont see how anyone can argue that khal drogo's doesn't. They both ruled through sheer strength and leadership ability.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't think Khal Drogo united all of the dothraki sea though. Mance has like 80%+ of the wildlings. There are no other kings beyond the wall.

I'd put Mance's position higher.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It's not like there's something magical in their DNA that makes their blood different than anyone else's.
Targs and everyone related to them (including Baratheons) have the blood of old Valyria in them, so it MIGHT be something related to that HOWEVER, Mance and others without direct lineal descent from Old Valyrian nobility being successfully used to cast these spells would throw a huge wrench in that theory.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think the King's Blood thing is total bullshit myself, except that the magic probably requires belief by Melisandre and that is the key component. As long as Melisandre believes the blood is "special", she has extra faith in her rituals, which probably gives them more power.

Look at Thoros. His stuff did nothing until finally he thought a friend was dying and he was at his wits end and then it worked.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Would make sense in the sense that none of these gods being worshipped are seen or talked to/heard from by anyone in the world, so it could just be that belief itself is the source of divine power without need for an actual "deity" to be involved.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Mance Rayder was highborn wasn't he? Before he joined the wildings.

Anyways, aren't each of the Red Priests in this story assigned to a specific person, more or less?

Thoros of Myr was sent to try to convert King Crazypyro Targaryen and then tried Robert and wandered off with Dondarrion as he was kind of shit at following orders.

Melisandre was sent to Dragonstone? And took up Stannis since he seemed receptive.

The mask girl seems a friend of Dany and may be assigned to her, but just with a lighter touch than the others.

There is another, a rather rabble rousing priest in one of the free cities getting support for Dany I think, without her knowledge though. Is he the high priest?

There is the black guy, with Victarion which... is there by "accident that wasn't an accident"... he was sent to someone but fell in with Victarion because of his interest in the Horn I think.

So maybe they decided at some point to send out several priests with leads saying "the chosen one may come from one of these places, find someone who looks good and convert them to the cause" and they all picked their favorite and ran with it?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
God just thinking about Victarion and that whole story line makes me cringe. That was by far the worst installment of the books I feel.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know this is the no book thread but ...

71xe5tu.jpg