GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah no spoilers from the books but things you don't really have time to notice live :

How It Really Happened - Imgur
Only one problem with their version of events. Margaerydoesset the goblet down on her and Jeoffrey's table, not her grandmother's. It's a clear shot and they must have deliberately chosen not to use it. In none of the actual scenes is the old lady anywhere near the cup. She could have easily handed the jewel off to Margaery, though.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think Tyrion did the deed. Joffrey was a douchebag to Sansa and Tyrion took that turd out like a boss.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's all kind of moot since they are all complicit in the deed, regardless of how it was done in the show. We may get the actual details later. I wouldn't expect someone to look down in the cup and drop something into it from a few inches above, though. Since Margaery is closest to the king, she would be in an ideal position to poison Joffrey. Olenna is not - There's a good chance she would never have the opportunity. As I mentioned above, as well, when Olenna leaves the table and walks back towards her seat you see a movement which could be described as a handoff of some type. For Olenna to poison the cup she would have to reach over the table while the pie cutting was going on and drop it in - a much more obvious maneuver (and again assumes that she knew she'd have an opportunity like that to begin with).

Again, I'm just speculating on how the show went with it, I definitely could be wrong. But I present Exhibit B:
L77WZVx.gif

(this shot had no purpose other than to show Olenna walking back to her seat)
It's very quick and subtle, but margaery can be seen making a movement towards Olenna as she passes after speaking with Sansa - a movement towards Olenna and her hands look as if they go up and down quickly. (If you get a chance watch the scene in HD and the movement is much more obvious.

While not directly stated, Margaery definitely knew about the plot, whether or not she did the deed. You would think both Olenna and Margaery would have thought it through a bit before doing anything, so the fact that the Tyrell's are like oh shit, we didn't think this through really doesn't prove anything.

For reasons of the show, it definitely makes sense to tie them together since the was between Margaery and Cersei is going to get heated up this season, not Cersei and Olenna, And MArgaery is about to be painted as a bitch in her own right.

So yeah, until the show explains otherwise, I'm going with Olenna grabs poison from Sansa, who was the unknowing middlewoman of LF and Olenna, and then hands it off to Margaery since she's in the best position to poison him, which she does while the cup is in her hands. In the show, she is the only person aside from Tyrion, Joffrey, and Sansa to touch the goblet. In the book, Joffrey places the cup down on the table himself.
im sure i am wrong, but this was not a Tyrell plot but a Littlefinger plot that used Olenna to deliver the poison. i actually dont think margary has done anything wrong. even later on when Cersei was trying to prove that she wasnt a virgin and drinking moon tea, she never had any proof of it and all her stupid plots backfired on her.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
im sure i am wrong, but this was not a Tyrell plot but a Littlefinger plot that used Olenna to deliver the poison. i actually dont think margary has done anything wrong. even later on when Cersei was trying to prove that she wasnt a virgin and drinking moon tea, she never had any proof of it and all her stupid plots backfired on her.
If anything Petyr instigated and facilitated the killing of Joefrey but did it in such a way that Olenna was most responsible and involved. I also think Margery was fully complicit and may or may not have played a part in the poisoning. Whether she did or didn't isn't even that important because I am confident she knew about the plot or was told afterward.

Szlia

Any plan to kill a king that relies on a teenage girl wearing the right necklace seems pretty risky to me. And it's not like her handmaiden was privy to the plot.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, I always felt that Margaery's status in the books was kind of left up in the air. Is she a Cersei-level conniving bitch, or a genuinely good heart? Or both? I could never quite pin her all the way down; Martin leaves her true intentions pretty vague. The show makes it extremely clear what she is after, though alot from her character is going to be gleaned in the coming weeks as to whether she is just another Cersei or someone who actually wants to do right by the realm.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I figure the Tyrells would have gone along with it even if killing Joffrey wasn't part of the deal. They had their chance to go with Stannis and now he wouldn't forgive them. They had little other choice. So Littlefinger almost certainly was just after his own ends.

I'd say that Margary is every bit the idealist she appears to be, with regards to "ruling for the people" and all that. But also no fool. But Tommen won't stay 9 forever....

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If anything Petyr instigated and facilitated the killing of Joefrey but did it in such a way that Olenna was most responsible and involved. I also think Margery was fully complicit and may or may not have played a part in the poisoning. Whether she did or didn't isn't even that important because I am confident she knew about the plot or was told afterward.
i think Margaery is one of the "good" people on this show. its rare, like maybe a handful actually go out of their way to do good deeds instead of think of themselves. i dunno if she knew about the plot to kill joffrey, she might have, but i dont think she helped. throughout the books and the tv show she has always been 2 things, helping the poor and wanting to be a queen so she can help the poor. she is the reason behind why Renly was so well loved and the reason why that Joffrey didnt have an open revolt. the peasants love the shit out of margaery and she loves the shit out of them. imagine her as a daenerys without dragons

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
LF played both sides.
He got the poison for Olenna, who had her own plot to kill Joffrey and blame Dorne. Afterwards they would marry Tommen to Margaery as he would be a much more suitable puppet than Joffrey was (Joffrey just didn't listen). During Tyrion's trial Obryn visits him and tells him if not for the dwarf, he probably would have been the one accused, "the Red Viper", and everyone knows poison is used by Dornishmen and women. There's no love lost between Higharden and Dorne. LF knew/suspected this, so put his plans in motion for hiring the dwarves and having Tyrion accused rather than Obryn, which works out much better for him.

edit:
Margaery was always really good, like the other Tyrell's, of having a pretty impeccable outward appearance. Always polite and the like, but I would argue the books paint a much different picture of them. Margaery played the game pretty well for her position in it - the cersei/margaery war pretty much shows us that. They are definitely schemers. All of them. Margaery is not just Olenna's pawn, but her protege as well.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else notice they cut directly from Theon to a sausage? This could be the best running gag.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I always felt that Margaery's status in the books was kind of left up in the air. Is she a Cersei-level conniving bitch, or a genuinely good heart? Or both? I could never quite pin her all the way down; Martin leaves her true intentions pretty vague. The show makes it extremely clear what she is after, though alot from her character is going to be gleaned in the coming weeks as to whether she is just another Cersei or someone who actually wants to do right by the realm.
She's a more intelligent Cersei with different priorities.

Cersei (at the start of GoT) was kind of a diabolical moron who wanted to be with Jaimie, get her dad to respect her and make her kids happy. It's impossible for her to be with Jaimie, her dad hates everyone (especially morons like her) and her classic failure as a mother to spoil children was the primary force that ruined Joeffrey.

Margery is an intelligent and well groomed woman who wants to be a well liked queen and has little compunction about how that happens. After she becomes queen her character is more defined by her conflict with Cersei than anything else. If Cersei was out of the picture and Margery was able to shape and control Tommen I think Margery would end up being an incredible queen even if her motives are selfish.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Someone asked why Sansa had to wear the necklace. It's because none of Littlefinger's plan is about framing Tyrion. That happened all on its own without his help. The plan was to ensure that Sansa was either named as the killer or at least assumed to be involved, because he wanted her to be completely trapped with no choice other than accepting his "protection." That's why she had to wear the necklace - so she knew that she had a part in it, willing or not.

He lied to Sansa. He didn't kill Joffrey for the fuck of it just to see if he could benefit somehow. He killed Joffrey to get the Tyrells to come on board and he made sure Sansa was blamed because he really, really wants to fuck Catelyn Stark in whatever form he can get.
Nah. Tyrion had been blowing up at Joff so much I have to believe that Littlefinger knew EXACTLY who would be blamed. He knows everything, and Cersei would have blamed him even had he been in prison with his tongue cut out for the past 6 months. You're right about the rest though. But he needed to get her husband out of the way as well.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
She is a conniving bitch but she is not a mustache twirling villian like cersi who is both to stupid and to evil to do even small tokens like giving left overs to poor people to keep the populace from rioting.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Nah. Tyrion had been blowing up at Joff so much I have to believe that Littlefinger knew EXACTLY who would be blamed. He knows everything, and Cersei would have blamed him even had he been in prison with his tongue cut out for the past 6 months. You're right about the rest though. But he needed to get her husband out of the way as well.
Oh, right, married. Somehow I overlooked that. Probably because he wasn't banging her, which seems to be a pretty big deal in Westeros divorce court.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This slowing down the show frame by frame to look for a split second motion is retarded. You all realize that no one was actually poisoned right? That the show isn't real? If there is something going into a cup it's because the director chose to show it, and if he chose to show it, then it would have been because he wanted the audience to see it, and if he wanted the audience to see it then he wouldn't have made it a split second thing that you can't see without going through the scene in slow motion.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if sansa is implicated its not hard to imagine that tyrion put her up to it. cersei would have blamed tyrion even if he wasnt even in king's landing for the wedding.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This slowing down the show frame by frame to look for a split second motion is retarded. You all realize that no one was actually poisoned right? That the show isn't real? If there is something going into a cup it's because the director chose to show it, and if he chose to show it, then it would have been because he wanted the audience to see it, and if he wanted the audience to see it then he wouldn't have made it a split second thing that you can't see without going through the scene in slow motion.
Why watch anything on TV?

wait... the show isn't real?