GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think you guys are missing the point. Flank had it right, whoever Tywin wants it to go to would get it. Succession doesn't really matter.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did the scenes with Baelish on the boat feel like, utterly forced from him, moreso than usual to anyone else?

Like I really felt like the guy playing Baelish went over the top on the acting during this part. Hell, it sounded as if his accent even went a bit Scottish there for a minute before going back to his normal accent. ESPECIALLY right when Sansa got up into the boat 2 episodes ago. It was eye-rolling bad.
Reminds me of lens flare or Christian Bale Batman voice complaints. Either it ruins it for you or you just don't give a fuck.

Chris

Potato del Grande
In English succession law from around the 13th to 20th centuries, female children inherited the throne before uncles. That's how we had ruling Queens. I'm going to guess that they are following this in Westeros otherwise Daenarys would have a weaker claim than Stannis which makes no sense to me.

But yeah "By right of Conquest" is also a valid claim in Westeros.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't sure how I felt about the spoiler material until this dawned on me, it was nice to get some new stuff that was not shit. I love this series and all but Dance with Dragons sucked more sick than the Knight of Flowers. GRRM introduces a new Matel Spenser a ton of time on him and then kills him off. Tyrion's story was just him living a shitty life for 10 chapters and Daenerys does a whole lot of nothing. By far the worst book of the series especially after having to fucking wait so long.

So yeah, I am ok and actually pleased with the spoiler material

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Where are all the damn white walkers? They've had maybe 5 minutes of screen time across 4 seasons.
This is true in the books too though, you have to realize.

I'm somewhat salty about it, because one of the things that keeps pulling perspective on the reader was you'd cross a conversation, or a mention, or something weird shit that was obviously walker related in the midst of tons of political intrigue stuff. The reader gets this warped reality; you'd get so caught up in the machinations of about 20 different people, and who is fucking who, who just killed who, who took over what city, etc, that the white walker shit tends to be spectacular. Suddenly you remember "Wow, this shit is awesome but if these people don't get their fucking shit together those walkers are going to have them some fine dining."

Also, what they need to do is probably just go full on "Game of Thrones", an HBO made for tv series, adapted from the books and based on the works of GRRM.

One of the coolest things about the show (And I'll be honest, the Night's King shit was hella sweet) was seeing how accurately or coolly they managed to portray the character. Either, exactly in the way the reader envisioned, or possibly in a slightly different manner, but one that made absolute sense.

Now, going into these books, I'm going to already have the scene, the look of them in my head. As someone above mentioned, the imagery and the subtleties of the red wedding were what made it a total mind fuck. The show did not come close. Sweet as shit, but 1) Because it was such a mind fuck to begin with that the show was bringing up all those tinglies I remembered and 2) Because I got to see non book readers lose their effing shit.

The books are that god damn good because there are all these amazing subtleties. People just pop off shit left and right out of nowhere and suddenly someone is confessing to a murder, or outlining a crazy plot etc. That's how we find out about Olenna, and about Tywin's shit with the red wedding. I understand the show can't convey subtlety, but taking it away from book readers is just, icky.

Once my socks are knocked off they cannot be unknocked off, so to speak. The written form has, in just about every way been above and beyond the show. There are just things a series watcher is never going to understand. We knew going into joff's murder what motivation Olenna could have had. (We need a king, we just don't need Joffrey.) A lot of series watchers missed that. Some correctly guessed Olenna, but didn't sync up the fact that now Margaery was free to marry Tommen.

ANYWAYS, yea I'm a pussy. I like the way GRRM has of encapsulating a particular feel with just a few things. The red wedding was spectacular when he mentions that the rains of castamere was being played. Or when Catelyn feels chain mail. You knew INSTANTLY. In the show? They have to be far more obvious, she had to appear super scared, whereas in the book she remained calm until she was sure.

I have gotten up in arms about changes, but mainly it's brief. It's a bandaid; it gets pulled, I express regret that show watchers didn't get to experience that imagery as I did, or the scene as I did, but I get over it.

But now, if that scene comes up, I'll read it and still just be seeing everything HBO put there. It's like having someone finish a Rembrandt and even after you know how the artist wanted his work done all you can see is the shoddy work done to finish it faster.

I'll also say this: GRRM regularly throws in weird ass shit at the weirdest of times when you least expect it. That's harder to do on screen, but I cannot for the life of me understand why it was necessary to show us that now. HBO could easily have reminded us that the walkers are a threat still the same way GRRM did, with characters talking and guessing.

Full on confirming the Night's King was real, that he existed, that he still exists, that he is taking Craster's kids, that he is of a higher caste of walkers etc...that not only reveals something huge, but connects the dots in about 3 different ways, in a way dictated by the directors, NOT by the author.

Jimmies level is unbelievably rustled.

Cybsled

Honestly I think it's poetic justice for all the nostradouching that has been happening, to speak nothing of straight up spoilers.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty much this. The reason I'd prefer the books over the show, especially when it comes to spoilers is at least in the books when something is revealed that is new, there is a whole bunch of context that goes along with it. But with the show, due to the condensed nature, medium, etc., you get none of that, just the scene and that's it. The whole Dontos smuggling Sansa to Littlefinger scene, there is a whole backstory there but tv viewers don't get any of that, they just get maybe 2 minutes of him taking her to the boat and getting shot. TV viewers were probably wondering what the hell she really meant when she tells Littlefinger 'but he saved me'...

Brad2770

What happened to the wilding woman helping the Stark boys?

After seeing Jaime rape Cercei, I'm guessing Jaime is the reason Cercei is so cruel. Maybe he raped her when they were younger and she eventually stopped fighting it? Since the loss of his hand, she has kind of lost interest and he had to reassert his dominance? Far fetched, but that was a fucked up scene. Right below their dead son's body. Fucking A.

iannis

Musty Nester
She took off a couple of episodes ago because, "Hey. This is bullshit. I ran to winterfell because THERE ARE FUCKING SNOW ZOMBIES UP HERE. AND THEY EAT PEOPLE. Fuck this man, I ain't going back".

Didn't they send someone with her? Maybe not, maybe it was just a message they sent with her. Its hard to keep track of this many characters and storylines, tbh.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
so when the Showrunners fuck up the story so badly, you get things like this:
no pussy shit thread_sl said:
After seeing Jaime rape Cercei, I'm guessing Jaime is the reason Cercei is so cruel. Maybe he raped her when they were younger and she eventually stopped fighting it? Since the loss of his hand, she has kind of lost interest and he had to reassert his dominance? Far fetched, but that was a fucked up scene. Right below their dead son's body. Fucking A.
The director of that episode said that he believed that what he filmed, was consensual sex by the end. Obviously the people who watch TV or know the definition of rape disagreed because it's been nothing but "omg rape" since that episode aired. So because the Director fucked up that scene, we get theories like this.

It wasn't written as a rape scene (obviously not in the novel, but also not in the episode's script since the director wasn't aiming for rape, but was aiming for "no it's not right to do it here, under our son's corpse, but, ok i agree let's have sex" he just fucked that part up) so of course the rest of the episodes aren't going to reference or resolve the "omg rape" since their scripts were written assuming there was no rape. So for TV viewer's its like "the elephant in the room" and it won't be addressed because it was never actually intended to come across the way it did.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There's far worse theories in that thread when the directorsdon'tfuck up a scene.

iannis

Musty Nester
I dunno how you watch that scene in editing and you DON'T see rape.

Honestly, I don't see how you look at that and see the difference between forcing a woman to have sex when she doesn't want to and rape.

I guess I understand how neckbeards reading the book would get a semi at some pseduo-consentual bondage fantasy... but watching it? That was not some subtle interplay of various histories. Dude pinned her to the ground with his body and stuck his dick in her.

Edit: I think its wonderful that GRRM is trolling his own fans this hard and in this way. It is meta as hell.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
There's far worse theories in that thread when the directorsdon'tfuck up a scene.
Well tbh I can really only think of 2 major hiccups as far as the story telling is concerned. Obviously they've changed tons of stuff from the books, but the TV show itself has been internally consistent, except:

1: The jaime cersei "I didn't think that was rape" scene above, which the earliest they could address it would be season 5 since the current seasons' episodes have already been filmed.

2: Rob Stark's reasoning for going to the twins to mend the alliance and get his troops to join his army, because "he was the only man with an army large enough that hadn't picked a side yet", when they already showed that the Frey's sided with Robb and his army already joined Robb's in Season 1. Thus the Frey army has been with Robb the entire time.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Yea, but the stark difference is that the theories are based on what ACTUALLY happens, and is either then disproved or confirmed. In that scene, they introduced new material, which will throw everyone off. There isn't a theory to GLEAN from that scene; book readers understood in every part, but when they fucked it up, now you have to justify what is going on there. And that's the real issue here, is that that scene was so out of character and off base that those who only watch are actually having to make theories and guess as to why it happened.

Also, how did you not see total butt hurt? I mean, this could be overreaction, but Chekhov's Gun and all that - it's possible it was an HBOism but it seems too specific and too...close to home I guess. Also, I have a feeling that it was specifically tied to this episode when we see Bran because Old nan had talked about how the Night's King had actually been a Stark, also named Bran.

There's a good bit of potential there for much information to be handed to us that we haven't even guessed at yet.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Fact is the show is going to go beyond what's in the books. The Night's King stuff is just the beginning. At the rate things are going half the next season is going to be stuff that wasn't covered in the books yet. By the end of this season Dany should be pretty sick of ruling in Mereen, Brienne will already been looking for a fair maiden for a while and Arya should get in Bravos. Victarion better be introduced and Bran should be about to meet the children of the forest. So what's left unspoiled that could take more than a select few scenes? Jaime taking care of business, Stanis in the snow, travels of Tyrion and ninja training?

If you didn't like the Night's King, you better brace yourself next season, they will run out of material quick.