GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

mimirswell_sl

shitlord
Whether he actually ends up sacrificing her or not, I would argue that he would. Stannis strikes me as the kind of guy that will let nothing stand in the way of what is his and what he sets his mind to. It seems like, loving his daughter or not, he'd walk right over her broken body to sit on the Iron Throne because by the Seven and the Lord of Motherfucking Light, it is his due.
Book Stannis and show Stannis are two separate beings. Book Stannis is and remains incredibly skeptical of Melisandre and her religion but show Stannis is a believer though perhaps not yet a true believer. He also has very strong moral objections to kin slaying and still harbors a great deal of guilt over Renly (that he justifies due to Renly's actions) and has problems with slaying the innocent (Robert's great bastard / Gendry in the show). Combining those two issues he has been reluctant own and it being his own daughter (who he is actually fond of) and book Stannis is going to have to fall dramatically for that to occur. Show Stannis might need less convincing but that would make the series pretty divergent. In neither case do I think it would be an easy sell.

Stannis is a conflicted man. He sacrificed Axell Florent who was his brother in law and one of his closest supporters. (Axell Florent - Game of Thrones Wiki). He believes in the power of Melisandres' gods but only as a means to an end.
That was a really bizarre change. The Book Florent (Alester Florent) that he sacrifices was an actual traitor and at first I thought they had just screwed up the name but later in the show they confirm he is a loyalist. Show Stannis is one messed up dude.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Book Stannis and show Stannis are two separate beings. Book Stannis is and remains incredibly skeptical of Melisandre and her religion but show Stannis is a believer though perhaps not yet a true believer. He also has very strong moral objections to kin slaying and still harbors a great deal of guilt over Renly (that he justifies due to Renly's actions) and has problems with slaying the innocent (Robert's great bastard / Gendry in the show). Combining those two issues he has been reluctant own and it being his own daughter (who he is actually fond of) and book Stannis is going to have to fall dramatically for that to occur. Show Stannis might need less convincing but that would make the series pretty divergent. In neither case do I think it would be an easy sell.

That was a really bizarre change. The Book Florent (Alester Florent) that he sacrifices was an actual traitor and at first I thought they had just screwed up the name but later in the show they confirm he is a loyalist. Show Stannis is one messed up dude.
Axell Florent is my bro in Mount and blade: A Clash of Kings =( was pissed to see him get roasted

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't think Stannis will sacrifice his daughter. I think it'll come down to it and that'll be the final decision where Stannis sides with Davos and tells Melisandre he'll do shit his way. Would set up Melisandre to leave Stannis and find a new person to serve/manipulate/back (Jon Snow).

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I could see Melisandre using his daughter as a sort of leverage to push him into sacrificing someone else that he might have some sort of qualms about, giving him an either/or sort of decision that is made easier by his daughter being one of the options.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can totally see warged hodor raping shireen and breeding the ultimate heir to the iron throne. You heard it here first.

For real though, Stannis will do whatever Meli manipulates him into doing. It's never REALLY been a question of what he will or will not do, but a question of how much manipulation it takes before he does what she wants.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
stannis does what he thinks best. didnt mel give him shit because he did not bring her to the fight at blackwater bay?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
From the books, I always got the impression that Stannis just used Melisandre and her magic shit as a means to an end and could really give two shits about the lord of light beyond what lip service he is required. But the show makes him seem more of a true believer than I would have guessed.

iannis

Musty Nester
It feels like they've spent more time with Mel in the show (because she has some righteous boobies -- no lie) than Stannis. Maybe that's part of why Stannis is so divergent.

We don't get to see much of Stannis except for him being a soulless fuck. All he much ever talks about is how he is the rightful King and he's pissed off.

Some Stannis scenes to flesh him out might help... but it's probably too late. It probably will go down like some of you guys think and (from a show perspective) all of a sudden out of fucking nowhere Stannis will rebel against his Red Witch.

Edit: I mean yeah, we have had one scene where he talks about how he loves his daughter and defends her against her mother in that creepy room full of pickled miscarriages. But he also keeps herliterallylocked away in the tower and rarely visits her... so that's not big points in favor of the "love conquers ambition" angle. But if that's a little more explored in the books then, yeah.

spronk

FPS noob
given GRRMs style in the past i always thought stannis would be asked to make a difficult choice with his daughter, he will instead choose to sacrifice his wife (solves a lot of problems especially with inheritance, if he can remarry) and when swords don't light up and other shit, mel will finally realize she is supporting the wrong guy and go over to Team Jon.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
In the book, Davos is what kept me liking Stannis. The fact that Stannis would promote someone like Davos and the fact that someone like Davos is loyal to Stannis means Stannis is a pretty good guy. Stannis is just black and white when it comes to justice. The book Stannis isn't sure about Melisandre and her religion.

In the book, the whole reason Stannis attacked King's Landing is because he thought it was the just thing to do. Stannis is an idealist. The law and real life don't always go together.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
given GRRMs style in the past i always thought stannis would be asked to make a difficult choice with his daughter, he will instead choose to sacrifice his wife (solves a lot of problems especially with inheritance, if he can remarry) and when swords don't light up and other shit, mel will finally realize she is supporting the wrong guy and go over to Team Jon.
Why would he sacrifice his wife? The sacrifice is to burn king's blood which he has.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Why would he sacrifice his wife? The sacrifice is to burn king's blood which he has.
I thought the legend of Azor Ahai was that he jammed the sword in the wife's face to finish forging it and create Lightbringer.

spronk

FPS noob
yup, exactly. imo the whole blood magic requires blood of a king is just a red herring and a misinterpretation by melisandre (typical), typically magic in fantasy settings require belief, willpower, and sacrifice not specific bloodlines.