GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Intelligence != train-ability necessarily. I'm not saying that they can't be trained, but I would guess if they could do anything a dog could do then we would see more trained pigs. Even if they are trainable, you won't find many pig trainers. If you need a trained dog or horse to appear in your movie, you can just pick up a yellow pages. Training a pig would be a whole other thing even if it is possible.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Have you never heard of truffle hunters? Pigs can very easily be trained for many things, they are smart and trainable, yes. I think they just cut that extraneous fluff out of the show because reasons. at this point, just consider the show some bizarro other-reality and roll with it on its own.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Was going to hold out and watch on a weekly basis, but ended up giving in and binging on all 4 eps. Good shit, and I like most of the changes they've brought on (or sped up - I get the impression they're writing off GRRM's notes instead of his books now and just skipping all the pointless sideplots and exposition, which is fine with me).

I'm a bit disappointed they seem to be easing up on Jaime's redemption arc, but since it's in favor of a "Jaime and Bronn kicking ass in Dorne" arc, I don't mind too much. I liked Jaqen popping up in Bravos instead of the random boring side characters they had in the books, lot of cool directions they could go with that that have already been discussed, only issue is that the whole "turning her away then randomly finding her in the slums and accepting her back" storyline didn't seem to serve any purpose except to establish that random dudes in Bravos are scared of his old black man face. I expected some kung-fu movie style "having to prove her worth/dedication" plotline.

Dany's stuff is still pretty boring as anything other than a change of scenery (and they'd better not have killed off Barristan in such a shitty way), but it looks like they're ramping things way the fuck up on that side of the storyline, so fingers crossed they tie her back into the main plot by the end of the season. Really hope Tyrion reaches her soon instead of dragging out his kidnapping for several episodes, that would make her side of things much cooler.

Was really surprised they killed Mance off, but I guess he's superfluous if they've actually brought one of the Stark girls back to Winterfell and are going to skip straight to Stannis kicking the Boltons out. Still, a shame, he was a cool guy - but Jon giving him a mercy kill with a bow was pretty badass.

Seeing Sansa actively move towards becoming Littlefinger's protege is cool too. My only issue is that having Brienne just run into her at an inn was shoddy writing - they could have come up with something better to bring the characters together than just rehash the Cat/Tyrion thing in the first season.

Only thing that really annoyed me other than the Barristan cliffhanger was how hard Stannis worked to make Jon break his oath to the Night's Watch. I know he offered him the same deal in the books, but it came off as really heavy handed in the show for some reason - isn't Stannis supposed to be the guy who's all about honor and pride and sticking to the letter of the law? And now he's pushing Jon to become an Oathbreaker and telling him his father's honor was stupid etc. What was that about?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was going to hold out and watch on a weekly basis, but ended up giving in and binging on all 4 eps. Good shit, and I like most of the changes they've brought on (or sped up - I get the impression they're writing off GRRM's notes instead of his books now and just skipping all the pointless sideplots and exposition, which is fine with me).

I'm a bit disappointed they seem to be easing up on Jaime's redemption arc, but since it's in favor of a "Jaime and Bronn kicking ass in Dorne" arc, I don't mind too much. I liked Jaqen popping up in Bravos instead of the random boring side characters they had in the books, lot of cool directions they could go with that that have already been discussed, only issue is that the whole "turning her away then randomly finding her in the slums and accepting her back" storyline didn't seem to serve any purpose except to establish that random dudes in Bravos are scared of his old black man face. I expected some kung-fu movie style "having to prove her worth/dedication" plotline.

Dany's stuff is still pretty boring as anything other than a change of scenery (and they'd better not have killed off Barristan in such a shitty way), but it looks like they're ramping things way the fuck up on that side of the storyline, so fingers crossed they tie her back into the main plot by the end of the season. Really hope Tyrion reaches her soon instead of dragging out his kidnapping for several episodes, that would make her side of things much cooler.

Was really surprised they killed Mance off, but I guess he's superfluous if they've actually brought one of the Stark girls back to Winterfell and are going to skip straight to Stannis kicking the Boltons out. Still, a shame, he was a cool guy - but Jon giving him a mercy kill with a bow was pretty badass.

Seeing Sansa actively move towards becoming Littlefinger's protege is cool too. My only issue is that having Brienne just run into her at an inn was shoddy writing - they could have come up with something better to bring the characters together than just rehash the Cat/Tyrion thing in the first season.

Only thing that really annoyed me other than the Barristan cliffhanger was how hard Stannis worked to make Jon break his oath to the Night's Watch. I know he offered him the same deal in the books, but it came off as really heavy handed in the show for some reason - isn't Stannis supposed to be the guy who's all about honor and pride and sticking to the letter of the law? And now he's pushing Jon to become an Oathbreaker and telling him his father's honor was stupid etc. What was that about?
several things you have mentioned have not aired yet, a spoiler tag may be wise or ned stark may appear. also stannis is a filthy hypocrite.

Azrayne

Oh, we're still doing that? I figured everyone in the spoiler thread would be caught up, but I'll cover it.

re Stannis:

I don't know what exactly happened in which episode, so I'll spoiler everything - anyway Stannis is far from my favorite character, but he seems to have mostly stuck to his morale code that I can remember (and in fairness my memory might be hazy, haven't read the books since ADWD came out and haven't done a rewatch of the series since last season). The only other case of his being this blatantly hypocritical that comes to mind was banging Melisandre and using her magic to kill people, but that always came off more as Melisandre using her magic/titties/magical titties to manipulate him (and it was kept much more discreet), whereas the whole thing with Jon seemed to come mainly from him, and him just going up to someone he doesn't know and shitting all over the principles he's always sworn by and been renowned for seemed totally out of place and really forced

Also, having Mel then go in and strip to try seduce him felt over the top, even for GOT. Is there a contractual clause about how many times she has to show her tits each season or something? Don't get me wrong, she's incredibly hot and I would ruin that if given a chance, but this isn't the 80's - if I want to see hot naked chicks, I can do that online. I watch GOT for cool fantasy scenery/interesting characters manipulating each other/gratuitous violence, does the excess nudity really draw more viewers in this day and age? Cause all it did was make me feel like they were wasting time that could have been used to further the plot

iannis

Musty Nester
Stannis cares about his own honor. He doesn't care very much about anyone elses if it costs him something.

I mean he has a point. Having Jon Snow sit as his proxy in the north would basically be game over.

Stannis is sort of a hypocrite. We're all sort of hypocrites. I attribute it to the influence of the red witch plus the fact that you can't wield power without either hypocricy (like stannis) or self sacrifice (like Nedward).

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Stannis is also more desperate now. Even he couldn't go through something like the Blackwater and not be changed by it, so he has no qualms with undermining someone else's honor to advance his own goals. Plus is just feeds into his sense of moral superiority with the bonus of possibly getting to cut off random body parts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Stannis cares about his own honor. He doesn't care very much about anyone elses if it costs him something.

I mean he has a point. Having Jon Snow sit as his proxy in the north would basically be game over.

Stannis is sort of a hypocrite. We're all sort of hypocrites. I attribute it to the influence of the red witch plus the fact that you can't wield power without either hypocricy (like stannis) or self sacrifice (like Nedward).
nah, stannis is a blatant hypocrite, he converts to a religion only because he wants the power of the witch to make him king, in the process he didnt blink an eye if that meant killing his own brother. that was easy for him because he didnt like his brothers anyway. it will be interesting to see how much he follows the red god if mel wants him to sacrifice his own daughter. although mel is a little bit of a fraud in her abilities, she probably realizes that would be over the line for her.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the kings were able to release them from that vow, so he could go be a legit Lord of Winterfell.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Azrayne

I thought the kings were able to release them from that vow, so he could go be a legit Lord of Winterfell.
If that's the case that would go a long way to explaining why it felt so much weirder in the show, since they didn't mention that bit, only that he could pass a decree to make Jon a legitimate Stark.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it occurred to me that when Cersei reinstates the Faith Militant, her intention was to get the Faith to arrest certain people? Like Lancel, because she hates the Tyrells? Which is also why she sent Mance to Braavos so he couldn't do anything about it.

Or did she have another better reason when she was talking with the High Sparrow? It didn't seem to clear to me what they were actually exchanging

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I want that leather jacket Jaime has when he meets up Bronn. That shit is tight.

rrr_img_95329.jpg

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
several things you have mentioned have not aired yet, a spoiler tag may be wise or ned stark may appear. also stannis is a filthy hypocrite.
Leaked episodes are fair game in the spoiler thread. People are just being nice. Tuco already said he wouldn't be infracting for spoilers here.

iannis

Musty Nester
So it occurred to me that when Cersei reinstates the Faith Militant, her intention was to get the Faith to arrest certain people? Like Lancel, because she hates the Tyrells? Which is also why she sent Mance to Braavos so he couldn't do anything about it.

Or did she have another better reason when she was talking with the High Sparrow? It didn't seem to clear to me what they were actually exchanging
She's just straight up starting a reign of terror. She's unleashed the zealots and made their leader personally beholden to her. That is a VERY bad deal, because they will eventually come after her. But we're talking about Cersi here, not her father.

The exchange basically was, "You can administer your justice as you see fit. Every now and then I'll suggest there is a person or institution that requires your justice".

Hell hath no fury and whatnot. Cersi just went nuts, is all.