GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Probably been asked, but I would appreciate it if someone could answer it again anyhow. How close is the series to the books and about how far into the books is the series so far?

Tenks

The series has moved pretty far away from the source. Or more accurately it seems that many of the characters have been combined into one character so it is hard to tell who or what is important from the books anymore. Most of the storylines are near their completion for the source.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I don't actually get the same impression of book Roose as I do from show Roose. Which isn't exactly a terrible thing but I was always expecting a thinner, gaunter, quieter more slight man than the Roose from the show. The show Roose seems pretty much the same as any other lord in the realm.
They got Vladimir Putin to play Roose, which is a huge step up from the pale aging goth lead singer he was portrayed in the books.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Stannis and Roose in a staring contest - who smiles first?

EDIT: Predatory showing of teeth counts.

This season is better than you guys thought it would be just because of the Wall and Winterfell stuff, heh.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
littlefinger isnt planning on ruling westeros, if he did he would have been the one asking for a loan over at braavos national bank. nah, littlefinger is still setting himself up a cushy gig and along the way he is orchestrating revenge on all the assholes who fucked with him and people he loved.

also you guys have to come to the realization that jon snow has at least a 50/50 chance of staying dead once he gets stabbed. we have never seen melisandre rez anyone and even if we had, she is far away when it happens. the best you can hope for is a hail mary from thoros if for some unknown reason he is around at the time. outsisde of that or some new kind of rez that never appeared in the books, jon snow will die and stay dead.

Tenks

Who says while master of coin Littlefinger didn't knowingly and willingly take out the huge debts on the crown knowing it would weaken their strength to the throne? Littlefinger has, at least in my opinion, made it perfectly clear he wishes to be king.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Who says while master of coin Littlefinger didn't knowingly and willingly take out the huge debts on the crown knowing it would weaken their strength to the throne? Littlefinger has, at least in my opinion, made it perfectly clear he wishes to be king.
you mean robert baratheon took out those debts. things didnt begin to fall apart until after littlefinger left as master of coin.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
No Littlefinger was 100% on board with helping them spend lavishly. He just was good as his job so he always found someone to borrow from. I think destabilizing the crown monetarily wasn't something he had any real problem letting Robert do.

Tenks

you mean robert baratheon took out those debts. things didnt begin to fall apart until after littlefinger left as master of coin.
LF funded the entire royal wedding which was said by many to be the most extravagant affair the 7 Kingdoms ever saw. He may have started in debt but he certainly dug that hole as deep as he could.

-edit-

NM that was Tyrion as master and Tyrells helped. But I do remember Tyrion saying about how in debt the crown was and how LF was mortgaging the future basically to get money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No Littlefinger was 100% on board with helping them spend lavishly. He just was good as his job so he always found someone to borrow from. I think destabilizing the crown monetarily wasn't something he had any real problem letting Robert do.
Oh I'm sure he intentionally spent them into debt as much as possible. Chaos is his thing, and I'm sure he thought he would always have a better shot climbing the ladder when the debt holders came for their money.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
LF funded the entire royal wedding which was said by many to be the most extravagant affair the 7 Kingdoms ever saw. He may have started in debt but he certainly dug that hole as deep as he could.

-edit-

NM that was Tyrion as master and Tyrells helped. But I do remember Tyrion saying about how in debt the crown was and how LF was mortgaging the future basically to get money.
you simply can not tell king robert baratheon, no dude, we cant afford lavish weddings, parties and annual tournaments. for one he will cut your head off and for another he will have the next MoC arrange for him to have those things anyway. joffrey and cersei were no better. they want their lavish lifestyle and they wanted it right now.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think the way Mel looked at Jon before leaving was pretty indicative of shit going down. Either Stannis is going to die and she's coming back to the Wall or Jon is going to get stabbed. Either way she knows some one's getting got.

Tenks

you simply can not tell king robert baratheon, no dude, we cant afford lavish weddings, parties and annual tournaments. for one he will cut your head off and for another he will have the next MoC arrange for him to have those things anyway. joffrey and cersei were no better. they want their lavish lifestyle and they wanted it right now.
Possibly but remember Tyrion recognized what Littlefinger was doing is dangerous. Which is why Tyrion had to beg so much money away from the Tyrells to help subsidize the wedding. The wheels were already in motion for the extravagance and Tyrion did his best to mitigate the debt the crown would absorb. Littlefinger would have just borrowed the cost completely from the iron bank. But I'm of the opposite opinion where nothing Littlefinger does is by chance it all has a purpose in his plot. The Iron Bank is known to collect on it's debt or seat a new king.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Another thing to consider is how LFs actions are so destructive to the realm that there probably won't even be an iron throne. He's grabbing up what he can, sure.

Tenks

I think the way Mel looked at Jon before leaving was pretty indicative of shit going down. Either Stannis is going to die and she's coming back to the Wall or Jon is going to get stabbed. Either way she knows some one's getting got.
Well in the book she is constantly warning him of imminent danger. I don't think they did that in the show. I can't recall.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Possibly but remember Tyrion recognized what Littlefinger was doing is dangerous. Which is why Tyrion had to beg so much money away from the Tyrells to help subsidize the wedding. The wheels were already in motion for the extravagance and Tyrion did his best to mitigate the debt the crown would absorb. Littlefinger would have just borrowed the cost completely from the iron bank. But I'm of the opposite opinion where nothing Littlefinger does is by chance it all has a purpose in his plot. The Iron Bank is known to collect on it's debt or seat a new king.
i am not denying that littlefinger took great pleasure in borrowing the realm into disastrous debt. i am saying that he merely was doing his job as MoC at the behest of the king. perhaps he encouraged robert to make expensive purchases or maybe he led robert to believe that the realm had limitless resources to fund every whim. either way, it was still robert who bought that debt. its not like these huge tournaments appeared all on their own.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So everyone seems to think Ole Stannis is gonna bite the big one this season or next. It has to be one of two people right, Mel or Brienne. Who ya got? I'm gonna go with Brienne in the upset.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It would be a good twist if it ends up Mel will sacrifice Stannis for his Kingsblood when she realizes she fucked up and Jon is the chosen one.