GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I will most likely not buy the rest of the books when the show moves past them. I may not even buy the new one if it does somehow come out before the start of next season.

iannis

Musty Nester
Why is it in his best interest to not finish? I'd think he needs to finish them as fast as possible while people still give a shit. Otherwise if the show finishes before the books, people are much more likely to just say fuck it and not buy more books when they know the end.
Well that's the thing. He can just say on his blog that the guys writing the show did a good respectable job with his notes and he enjoyed watching it very much as well as taking part in their collaborative process (he doesn't have to shit on them, it's way better if he doesn't) -- but that's not the real story. That's the TV version.

Will people go for it? Well, I mean, they have been so far. Sure there is a point where fans will get tired of it. The bet is that he dies before that point is reached or that he can retain enough of the base to just not care if he loses half of it.

Not to be a jackass but that dude only has 5 or 10 working years left in him before he goes into retirement, a diabetic coma, or semi-retirement (which for a writer is all about the same thing). It's a bet I would make personally, and I don't bet. Assuming that I had a looming project that I honestly had no desire to finish. He's gotten so much out of those 3 books already. There definitely comes a "don't fuck it up" point. I think he's reached that point with this story. He'll let the other guys take the blame. Why not? He's already gotten all the glory. But more importantly the MONEY.

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe I'm entirely wrong and he's just been slowed by his success. That is entirely possible.

It's not like I know the guy. It's just my read on it with his whole "Magnum Opus" bullhonkey pretentious nonsense and the feel of him that I get from reading parts of his books. I think that dude is like that.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think you understand the impact that death has on a person's financial situation.
KV74fJS.gif

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yes this last season was weak but people need to remember how bad the books started getting. Atleast the show cut cut most of the tetrible filler and worthless stories

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not to mention that we can rely on HBO to deliver us some new content every spring where GRRM just puts shit out when he feels like it and he usually doesn't feel like it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
He is only 66.

The panic over his death seems a tad premature these days. I mean there are cast members who are 80 and 92 respectivly !

sole

Molten Core Raider
The first three books were great and seeing it play out on HBO was a treat. After that though the source material declined (AFFC was decent but a definite decline, and ADWD was more of the same but less interesting). The best thing going for this series at the moment is its ambiguity, and GRRM and HBO are right to capitalize on it. I have more faith in D&D than GRRM at this point though, but I'll still read his books when/if he releases them, whereas I'll definitely be tuning into HBO to watch the story unfold.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why is it in his best interest to not finish? I'd think he needs to finish them as fast as possible while people still give a shit. Otherwise if the show finishes before the books, people are much more likely to just say fuck it and not buy more books when they know the end.
I think it's just an issue where you could argue that he doesn't care. Financially, he doesn't need to finish it obviously. And if he's tired of writing the series (which is what I think Iannis is saying), there's no reason to write another word. In that case, it's in his best interest not to finish because then he doesn't fuck it up. That's a very plausible scenario, that GRRM may never write another chapter and let the show finish the story for him.

And yeah, I agree, books 4 and 5 were shit. I mean, I was heavily invested in the story by then and so it was interesting to read, but they never should have been split. Cut out the bullshit like the show did and make some fucking progress. Those two books were a lot of moving chess pieces around for the conclusion.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think it's just an issue where you could argue that he doesn't care. Financially, he doesn't need to finish it obviously. And if he's tired of writing the series (which is what I think Iannis is saying), there's no reason to write another word. In that case, it's in his best interest not to finish because then he doesn't fuck it up. That's a very plausible scenario, that GRRM may never write another chapter and let the show finish the story for him.

And yeah, I agree, books 4 and 5 were shit. I mean, I was heavily invested in the story by then and so it was interesting to read, but they never should have been split. Cut out the bullshit like the show did and make some fucking progress. Those two books were a lot of moving chess pieces around for the conclusion.
That's saying quite a bit about the books though... when the end of the chess game is reached, do you really care where all of the other pieces lined up beyond the final checkmate is called?