GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Solely because of the Mountain stuff and the duel between him and whathisfacewhonowicantremember which sets up Sir Giant and Doesn't Talk whose name I also forget.
Yea, but non-book readers had no idea who Oberyn was or why he was so worked up about some bitch the Mountain killed. A lot of these plots on the show don't make the same kind of sense to non-book readers because they don't have the background. Oberyn could have just been "a guy" and probably really was just "a guy" to show-only people. It was probably explained tangentially once why he's upset and then not addressed again.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea, but non-book readers had no idea who Oberyn was or why he was so worked up about some bitch the Mountain killed. A lot of these plots on the show don't make the same kind of sense to non-book readers because they don't have the background. Oberyn could have just been "a guy" and probably really was just "a guy" to show-only people. It was probably explained tangentially once why he's upset and then not addressed again.
Probably not to the same detail, but pretty sure most people knew why Oberyn was pissed...before and during the fight. People were pissed when he died (show watchers I mean), yet another in the long line of people that were set up to finally give the Lannister's their due.

Caliane

Right, which is why from a pure show perspective, nothing wrong with it other than it being a very hasty plot they are shedding/changing. I get why book people might be annoyed, but they should have expected more big changes. I kind of got tired of all the "this guy is a badass" power level comparisons in the books. Every great warrior can still make a simple mistake that gets them killed. Just look at Oberyn.
Its the directors fault. like, you can script that. But then you have consider how it is told. Music playing. Slow motion, vs fast. etc, etc.
Take the classic example of Caesar being murdered. A moment, that has become legendary. And, yet is a man being betrayed and stabbed. not dying gloriously in battle.

Like, throw some foreshadowing in there. If, his murder is a giant mistake, its as simple as putting stormclouds in the background. There was nothing ominous about the scene. No victory filled with unease. Nothing. no graduate ending. Even that would have worked if that was the plan. They could have given each other the looks as they kill there target. And just hold the camera there. hold it. hold it. At which point the thrill of the kill drops and... ok.. now what.

since none of that happened, what we have is.. nope, he just went out like a bitch. And thats it. Dorne is going to have vindictive queens and that will somehow work out.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It looks like the writers just wanted to pull the eject lever on the entire Dorne storyline. It felt like they gave it about 5 minutes worth of talk in the writers' meeting too.

Merrith

Its the directors fault. like, you can script that. But then you have consider how it is told. Music playing. Slow motion, vs fast. etc, etc.
Take the classic example of Caesar being murdered. A moment, that has become legendary. And, yet is a man being betrayed and stabbed. not dying gloriously in battle.

Like, throw some foreshadowing in there. If, his murder is a giant mistake, its as simple as putting stormclouds in the background. There was nothing ominous about the scene. No victory filled with unease. Nothing. no graduate ending. Even that would have worked if that was the plan. They could have given each other the looks as they kill there target. And just hold the camera there. hold it. hold it. At which point the thrill of the kill drops and... ok.. now what.

since none of that happened, what we have is.. nope, he just went out like a bitch. And thats it. Dorne is going to have vindictive queens and that will somehow work out.
It makes sense to do this for plot lines and characters that matter, which Dorne and Doran/Hotah clearly do not (in the show at least, although given what changes they are making based on knowing the end game, one could assume they likely amount to little in the book as well). For instance, the Red Wedding had these effects with Catelyn hearing "The Rains of Castamere", and noting that Roose had armor on under his finery. But Rob/Catelyn and the Starks actually mattered and had been focal characters. Whether we like it or not, Doran and Hotah are not in the show.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It looks like the writers just wanted to pull the eject lever on the entire Dorne storyline. It felt like they gave it about 5 minutes worth of talk in the writers' meeting too.
But they have some of the hottest actresses to get naked
frown.png

Siliconemelons

I think they just moved it forward by about 2-3 books... the Dorn "master plan" could have been "shown" from s1 or s2 and followed on and off throughout the years... and it was mentioned in passing and by events such as sending the princess off etc.. but it just was not in scope...

It was not just "Sandsnakes stabbed 3 dudes" - the speech and the talk leading up to it was important - and while not as good as the quoted line from the book about the grass hiding the viper, it was still in effect the same type of thing. Showing that every single royal guard knew what was going to happen and stood there shows that the one guy was the only loyal guard/man to him. The setup to all of this, the sandsnakes undermining his authority etc. etc. will all, I am sure, in the books- take place and lead up to a larger more elaborate killing and betrayal - but we know that's how its going to go down... the show just pressed fastforward and or does not have 2 seasons to "waste" on the build up of Dorn.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Probably not to the same detail, but pretty sure most people knew why Oberyn was pissed...before and during the fight. People were pissed when he died (show watchers I mean), yet another in the long line of people that were set up to finally give the Lannister's their due.
Not to mention that he was fighting to determine the fate of the one of if not the most beloved character in the whole series. There was plenty to get the audience invested in that fight.

Siliconemelons

Not to mention that he was fighting to determine the fate of the one of if not the most beloved character in the whole series. There was plenty to get the audience invested in that fight.
He explains it a lot in many differing conversations and it was re-explained albeit shortly when Dr. Bashir got shanked. The mountain by order of lannisters raped and killed his sister and even niece... the lannisters and everyone knows what the sick fuk the mountain is so sending "him" you cannot just "well I didn't know he would do that!" like Tywin tries to do.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
A little late to the party on this....

So tired of t he Selmy bitching.

Muhammad Ali is the greatest boxer ever. Wait till hes 70 and fighting multiple people and you think he stands a chance? Selmy was an OLD MAN that still killed a handful of people on his way out.

Yeah, he was the baddest ass ever...But people get old. The fact that he was still as impressive at his age as he was is the point.

Merrith

Good point. Also for all the hate on the "combat" in the show, Oberyn v. the Mountain was one of the bright spots.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
That's basically what I'm saying, except the book canon is clearly the correct one, as it is the one written entirely by the original author and, presumably, will represent the closest thing anyone can come to accurately reflecting the story he has created in his mind.

I mean, for me personally, I'm giving the original author superiority over others in regards to his canon.

Or, in the case he dies, then I'm giving Brandon Sanderson the backup superiority over others in regards to his canon.

I hope that joke gets at least a minor chuckle from somebody.

Solely because of the Mountain stuff and the duel between him and whathisfacewhonowicantremember which sets up Sir Giant and Doesn't Talk whose name I also forget.
Clearly the book canon is the correct one. I was going to lose sleep if you sided with the TV canon. The whole show is shit anyway. I mean, maybe if every episode was a shot for shot remake of the book and each season was 100 episodes long and cost half a billion dollars to fund, then maybe we could have a discussion on the TV canon. And I mean exactly like the books, so each episode was thirty hours long or so, and for this season, which has moved ahead of the books that Martin will never finish, maybe if they brought Shakespeare back from the dead to write it, then maybe it would be passable for what the most devout fans of the books would consider to be satisfactory.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The most important question of this season will be 'is cleganebowl 2016 happening'
Rumors had Rory McCann(the hound) being in Ireland while they were shooting this season. He's not credited yet, though.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Clearly the book canon is the correct one. I was going to lose sleep if you sided with the TV canon. I mean, the whole show is shit anyway. I mean, maybe if every episode was a shot for shot remake of the book and each season was 100 episodes long and cost half a billion dollars to fund, then maybe we could have a discussion on the TV canon. And I mean exactly like the books, so each episode was thirty hours long or so, and for this season, which has moved ahead of the books that Martin will never finish, maybe if they brought Shakespeare back from the dead to write it, then maybe it would be passable for what the most devout fans of the books would consider satisfactory.
That's a hilarious parody of the book readers!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they just moved it forward by about 2-3 books... the Dorn "master plan" could have been "shown" from s1 or s2 and followed on and off throughout the years... and it was mentioned in passing and by events such as sending the princess off etc.. but it just was not in scope...

It was not just "Sandsnakes stabbed 3 dudes" - the speech and the talk leading up to it was important - and while not as good as the quoted line from the book about the grass hiding the viper, it was still in effect the same type of thing. Showing that every single royal guard knew what was going to happen and stood there shows that the one guy was the only loyal guard/man to him. The setup to all of this, the sandsnakes undermining his authority etc. etc. will all, I am sure, in the books- take place and lead up to a larger more elaborate killing and betrayal - but we know that's how its going to go down... the show just pressed fastforward and or does not have 2 seasons to "waste" on the build up of Dorn.
Except in the book there's no reason to betray Doran because it's a bit more obvious that he's involved with actively scheming against the Lannisters. I think that ultimately the Dorne plotlines will end up in the same place in both media, but Doran doesn't have to die in the book for that to happen.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
He explains it a lot in many differing conversations and it was re-explained albeit shortly when Dr. Bashir got shanked. The mountain by order of lannisters raped and killed his sister and even niece... the lannisters and everyone knows what the sick fuk the mountain is so sending "him" you cannot just "well I didn't know he would do that!" like Tywin tries to do.
Yeah I know. It was very well established by the time the fight happens. One of the times he states it explicitly is in his monologue when he tells Tyrion he'll be his champion should be in the running for best lines of the series.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Right, which is why from a pure show perspective, nothing wrong with it other than it being a very hasty plot they are shedding/changing. I get why book people might be annoyed, but they should have expected more big changes. I kind of got tired of all the "this guy is a badass" power level comparisons in the books. Every great warrior can still make a simple mistake that gets them killed. Just look at Oberyn.
They are making Podrick out to be the biggest bad ass on the show.

Siliconemelons

They are making Podrick out to be the biggest bad ass on the show.
Really because it looked to me he almost got owned by 1 dude 1v1 while what's her name killed the rest... and that fight was actually quite well done, it felt real to me... no one looked like a super soldier slaughtering peons dynasty warrior style.