GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Varys and illyrio are mermen, setting the stage for an undersea adventure + takeover.

Spoiler for long (best theory, I want to believe)
1.When Arya is stalking Varys and Illyrio:
1a. She hears water dripping in the distance.
1b. Next she observes Illyrio and Varys coming up from a vast 'well'(this is the word GRRM uses) that goes down out of sight.
1c. Varys pulls a lever and a wall descends blocking the well from sight.
1d. After the two come up, Arya trails them for quite a long distance, gradually descending.
1e. Finally she loses them, stumbles forward and finds herself at the end of a sewer emptying into the river. She dives in and swims for a while to get clean, washes her clothes, then scampers off home.

2. Varys and Illyrio are both noted for their abnormally large size, while also noted as being incredibly light on their feet. This suggests an abnormal strength.

3. Varys is noted to have a peculiar, slimy smile. This could be interpreted to mean he does not show his teeth, and that could be because he has very abnormal teeth.

4. When Tyrion threatened to throw Varys overboard, Varys retorted that he would be sursprised at the result.

5. There is noted to be no bed in Vary's quarters. If he is a Merling he would likely sleep at sea or like most fish perhaps not at all.

6a. Another character we know with peculiar teeth is Biter, another abnormally large man with enourmous strength.
6b. The idea that this barely sentient being sat around and filed all his teeth just to scare people is absurd.

7. Varys and Illyrio both associate humans with birds, naturally as these are two lower species to them. Explains the ease with which they chop off children's tongues.

8. From their one meeting, it appears that the Merlings are experts at manipulating the humans in secret. And also there is a hint these two have plenty of patience, they seem to be comfortable waiting years for their plans to bear fruit. Perhaps they have very long lifespans or are just more patient than humans.

9. When the subject of eating people came up, Varys licked his lips.

10a. Varys likely is not a Eunuch, as there is a point where he is parlaying with Tyrion where Tyrion notes that his voice seemed deeper than usual.
10b. Even if he is a Eunuch, it doesn't mean he has to be human.

12. Since he probably isn't Eunuch, Vary's lack of sexual interest in human females is explained by being a Merling.

13. Littlefinger comes from a seafaring merchant family of Braavos and is an accomplished sailor himself, if anyone is likely to ever see the reclusive Merlings, it's the merchants and fisherman.

14. One of Littlefinger's ships is named 'The Merling King'.

15. Littlefinger claims to have Varys completely under his control.

16. House Manderly. Hugely fat, port city, can't ride a horse, they even have a Merling as their house crest. Wyman Manderly bakes Freys into pies.

17. With no readily apparent motivation, Ser Mandon Moore tried to murder Tyrion on the Blackwater. When thrown overboard, it is noted he did not scream.

18. Mandon Moore is referred to repeatedly as having dead eyes or fish eyes, and of having "no life but duty".

19. Before being attacked, Tyrion had just set Blackwater Bay on fire using wildfire which would be deadly to any creatures living underneath.

20. The Drowned God. Very handy to have a large group of humans willing to do anything for you, and it provides a ready source of spies in places of power, such as Patchface, who often tells riddles about life under the sea.

21. Doesn't it seem suspicious that Euron Greyjoy was so well prepared for the Kingsmoot? Almost as though he knew that this ancient ritual for selecting a ruler would resurrected -- almost as if it was done specifically for him. Perhaps Euron has been playing his brother Aeron for a fool by filling his head with "voices from the sea".

22. Davos Seaworth's visit from the "The Mother" may have actually been a siren or a mermaid. After his rescue, Davos was primed and determined to kill Melisandre. Like Aeron and Patchface, it seems Davos's drowning may have filled his head with ideas.

23. In a Feast for Crows, Brienne is told about 'squishers' by one of her companions. They are described as man eating fish people that walk on two feet.

24. If you were to give a baby the name Varys in our world today, it would mean the following: Varys - Vari - Stream; Varish - Sleeping on the Sea

25. What do Varys and Illyrio want with Dragons? This is more speculative, but consider that:
25a. When you bring Ice and Fire together, you get water.

26b. Is it as simple as this? Bring the dragons north and melt the Ice, including perhaps the entire Wall. What you have done then is raise the coastlines around the entire world. Magical global melting...
What do the merlings get out of it? Liebensraum. More ocean real estate.
26c. If the flooding were extreme enough, only a few islands would remain, places like the Eyrie.
26d. Littlefinger, "The Merling King", has made his seat the Eyrie.
26e. If this theory is correct, Littlefinger would have been made King by Merlings, giving a new take on the meaning to the ship's name.
You're way off bro.
rrr_img_20228.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thanks for that bixxby, now i know what Lumie would think if he read this series. instead of lizardmen we have mermen.
smile.png
its a neat theory though.

i guess i missed the fun, what did jozu say this time to get sent to the RRP?

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
Seeing varys and his mysterious background but utmost loyalty to the targaryan, make me think he is a targaryan. In the hedge knight books Egg shaved his head to reveal being a targaryan, because the white/blonde hair tends to be a dead giveaway to your heritage. all of Robert's bastards had black hair and all...Maybe Varys had his junk cut off to prevent any targaryan offspring, basically trading his manhood for his life.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
There are some pretty interesting theory's reguarding Varys, Illyrio's wife and young Aegon all being Blackfyre's. Dunno how to link from my phone but a simple google search should do.

Not that I personally believe it as fact but there are some interesting connections made by smarter folk than me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
thanks for that bixxby, now i know what Lumie would think if he read this series. instead of lizardmen we have mermen.
smile.png
its a neat theory though.

i guess i missed the fun, what did jozu say this time to get sent to the RRP?
Nothing too bad, but I banished him from that thread.

Jozu_sl said:
I thought the Tyrells were going to be boring but I was wrong. Margery is actually an interesting character now, and Queen of Thorns looks like the female version of Tywin. Then you have the fag of roses, who without Renly is looking a bit lost.

Anyway, next weeks episode should be great. Cirian Hinds already has cemented his spot in the show and he has had limited screen time. Him as Mance is perfect IMO. I know he was portrayed a bit younger in the books, and I was dissapoint when West turned down the role, but his rugged demeanor and pleasant disposition is effective. I would say these first two episodes were better than the first two episodes of s1 and s2.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol well at least his nostradouch status is warranted since hes now referencing the book's characters. wrongly too. mance is easily as old as qorin halfhand and thats not too young.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
From what I recall Varys started as a common thief, later realised secrets were more valuable than jewels and started selling those (break in houses, read papers and leave without taking anything). He eventually got so good, the Targs gave him an official position at court. He is thankful for that and feels he owe his position strictly to the Targs, hence his loyalty to them. I probably am missing some nuances but thats the gist of his background.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's reasonable, sort of. I just don't think Varys has any reason to be loyal to anyone, much less a group that is very far removed from power.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
What Ive been wondering is the bit in season one with Grand Maester Pycelle and the whore. They show him stretching and bouncing then resume acting like an old broken man. I guess that may just been a "never trust everything you see" kind of wink, but i was wondering if theres more to it. Such a behavior from him is not seen in the book

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What Ive been wondering is the bit in season one with Grand Maester Pycelle and the whore. They show him stretching and bouncing then resume acting like an old broken man. I guess that may just been a "never trust everything you see" kind of wink, but i was wondering if theres more to it. Such a behavior from him is not seen in the book
He's probably a merman only pretending to be weak.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Do Mermen like lamprey pie or is that like cannibalism?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fedor again.
Hahaha, priceless picture
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

rrr_img_20231.jpg

I wonder if he dies as a trans as well?

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
Varys gives us his motivation many times, "for the realm". He didn't care for Dany or Viserys, he cared for tens of thousand dothraki and cares for dragons.

Godric_sl

shitlord
This show basicaly keeps suffering from what always sufered. To many directions to many storylines all cramed together, even the books are like that, messy and somewhat chalenging to folow. ( not that is dificult to cacth up, its just anoying in the process of story teling) To be able to direct it as tv show couldnt be much harder imo. Yet i think they are doing a decent job, but when new characters keeping apearing out of the blue, it makes the show a bit of drag sometimes. The context is so huge that isnt easy for an audience to grasp fast enough.

Off course the messy storylines is whats all about in the end.

Godric_sl

shitlord
It's also great seeing all the other characters back again. Particularly Arya and the Hound, man they are awesome. And Jamie and Brienne's scenes are continuously good, I think I enjoy it much better than I did before. It's a great portrayal by the both of them.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Varys tells the audience what he wants the audience to hear. His "for the realm" shit is retarded. The realm is being plunged into chaos and he is only furthering that. He doesn't give a fuck about the realm.