GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, it's also possible that Varys decided to betray Danaerys. Which would make no sense at all, but with these writers anything is possible. I mean why didn't Varys' little birds tell him an invasion fleet was being prepared in the first place?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I mean, it's also possible that Varys decided to betray Danaerys. Which would make no sense at all, but with these writers anything is possible. I mean why didn't Varys' little birds tell him an invasion fleet was being prepared in the first place?
Good point. I think Varys has been defined as a character that actually does put the good of the realm ahead of his own ambitions. Possibly he also got wind that Dany was turning heel and basically wants to just roast all of Westeros so he's decided to flip sides.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
lolwat? Emilia Clarke does just fine when the writing isn't trash. The sack of Astapor is quite possibly the best scene in the entire series. Danaerys is just a terrible character with consistently bad dialogue, I doubt there is an actress in the world who could pull off that terrible writing.The only other things I've seen her in were Futurama and Terminator, and it's hard to judge her performance in Terminator when every part of the movie was awful.

*edit*

I mean Michael Fassbender is an amazing actor, and even he couldn't salvage Magneto's garbage dialogue in Apocalypse.
Yea I disagree. I think she's absolutely horrid.

I do agree with Fassbender though. That guy is great.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I don't think Varys is betraying Dany. Sure its "suspicious" he got out of dodge the moment before the slavers attacked. But how did his ship escape their ships on the way out? Then again there's really no way to know how much time passes between scenes.

I am going t go with Varys returning to Westeros to follow his book plotline. Further destabilize the realm to prepare for Dany's return.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was just going to mention the Varys thing. Someone else mentioned maybe he wasn't being truthful earlier. Then there was the red priestess bit and she said if you truly want to help Dany, you have nothing to worry about, almost as a, "I know you're up to no good" kind of tone. And then its kind of convenient Varys leaves the city the day of or before its attacked.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, in the books there's no question that he's loyal to Daenarys. There is no reason not to take everything he said to Kevan as absolute truth as far as he knows. In that scene he was not just addressing Kevan, he was essentially talking directly to the reader. In the show him killing Kevan would be sort of redundant, King's Landing is already a powder keg set to explode. So maybe some sort of betrayal is supposed to happen to Daenerys, and the writers decided to use Varys for it instead of either introducing a new character or making a more popular character do it.

My opinion is that show Varys is loyal to Daenarys and him leaving just before the invasion/having no clue the invasion was coming is just more shit writing from shit writers. Just felt like defending the plausibility of the theory.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Was just going to mention the Varys thing. Someone else mentioned maybe he wasn't being truthful earlier. Then there was the red priestess bit and she said if you truly want to help Dany, you have nothing to worry about, almost as a, "I know you're up to no good" kind of tone. And then its kind of convenient Varys leaves the city the day of or before its attacked.
Well, we've seen that the writers are more than happy to use unrealistic coincidence for matters of simplicity and expediency. We keep looking for "gotchas" or rationale, when its just sloppy writing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately this seems to be case. First assumption for everything should now be the most straightforward one. However fucking stupid or unbelievable it may be.

Pretty confident that Jon wins the battle next week. As the race to the end of the series is on and they really don't have much time to shit on the main characters anymore. So we'll likely go full tilt the other direction until the setup for the WW is complete.

No more Ramsay Sue or similar villains plot armor (who aren't WW) can really happen anymore. They have to steamroll through all that shit and consolidate plotlines as quickly as possible. Which will make the show have really shitty writing for the next few episodes and probably half of next season. But at least the battles and such should be pretty cool.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
varys is out of his element over there. his network is barely started. i dont question his loyalty to dany, he certainly isnt going to toss her under the bus for scientology king tommen. dude is going back to fuck shit up and get things ready for dany to take over. i also assume that the masters fleet will get defeated with dragons and iron born and thats how they get together. arya's story is done. wont see her again til next season, she told jaqen she is going back home, not west of westeros, that was silly talk while she recuperated and ate magic stew. next week is going to be all bastard bowl. one hour of battles. its the hardholme/blackwater bay/castleblack episode so thats what they will do. episode 10 will be teaser for season 7.

Siliconemelons

I actually think the final season(s) will be better as I am sure there are more "notes, outlines and support" from GRMM on how things end up, rather than how they got there... right now we are in the how they got there - and that's all fluff, and they need to consolidate and get everyone in place for where they need to be at the end.

but I am a recovering optimist.

Tenks

Varys was very reluctant about involving the red God in their plans. Possibly King's Landing is just a bit further ahead and is foreshadowing what happens when you make a deal with religious zealots for short-term gain?

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
So is the Brotherhood going to be pissed when they find out about the 4 men Sandor slaughtered around the camp fire while looking for the man in the gold cloak? Or were they for certain part of the bad apples? And if they were, why were they free instead of being hung with the other 3?

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
last 2 episodes have been the most boring GoT episodes ever, not to mention, utterly predictable

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Best case for Kings Landing - Cersei blows up the temple, making sure the head priest is in it, and then Jamie reveals that he is the kings actual father invalidating all of Tommens decrees and making Cersei the Queen.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I actually think the final season(s) will be better as I am sure there are more "notes, outlines and support" from GRMM on how things end up, rather than how they got there... right now we are in the how they got there - and that's all fluff, and they need to consolidate and get everyone in place for where they need to be at the end.

but I am a recovering optimist.
i'll drink this koolaid with ya, tho... i think you're right that the reason the show sucks right now is because the writers are scrambling trying to figure out how to get to GRRM's finish line.

Tenks

It would be funnier if since there would be no logical heir after Tommen they name the Sparrow king

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love hating on GRRM's writing pace and half-page descriptions of food as much as anyone, but at least he doesn't resolve a character being mortally wounded by having a recently introduced character turn out to be a serial boyfriend stabber-and-fixer. Not even a healer or priest or something, just an actress that stabs and heals people because reasons. Also no problem in going back to the HQ of the assassin sect that wants you dead to leave a trophy and chat with the leader of said sect. While still bleeding.

So much buildup of a cool and mysterious faction and we are left with this. The Arya-was-Jaqen thing made much more sense and I'd honestly have preferred that, at least it wouldn't have been as anti-climactic.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
The problem isn't that she had someone to patch her up, it's that if she was going to be wounded in an encounter with the waif she shouldn't have been so severely wounded (visually to the audience). One stab to the stomach is fine. 3-4 stabs and a stab and hold and twist is not fine.

It's almost like the writers and directors from episode to episode were playing a game with Arya's story. Instead of a detailed description or even a script, the next writer only gets a few vague notes to work with from the writer of the previous episode. "Arya attacked by the waif. Waif wounds Arya with dagger to stomach. Arya escapes."

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought about that too, how it would have worked better if she'd just blocked a swipe with her arm. Enough to bleed but not a mortal wound. Still leaves us wondering why Arya was wandering around Bravos so carelessly when she knew the faceless men would be after her.

GRRM always has these little twists where nothing resolves itself in the most straightforward way. Here, everything happened exactly in that way. Same with Tyrion when he brokered a deal with the slavers. The slavers breaking their word was the most obvious way to go, and it happened in exactly that way.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Yea, Arya wandering around like that was the thing that bothered me the most. At the very least, Arya would have utilized the things she learned fully, and none of that is shown as she runs around Braavos. She decided to leave and it's like everything they taught her went poof.

I thought that it would end up being a lure, which it sorta was, but it definitely didn't start out that way.

I really hate otherwise smart, capable characters being reduced to fucktards so the show can continue.