GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

spronk

FPS noob
remember when a bunch of us thought that the black wolf's head wasn't really shaggy, and that rickon was all part of an elaborate trap by the karstark's to trick ramsay? or when everyone thought jon would sneak into winterfell through the crypts and kill ramsay in his sleep? good times

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
remember when a bunch of us thought that the black wolf's head wasn't really shaggy, and that rickon was all part of an elaborate trap by the karstark's to trick ramsay? or when everyone thought jon would sneak into winterfell through the crypts and kill ramsay in his sleep? good times
im still holding out hope that there are ice dragons beyond the wall

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair that is a shitty prop, that dire wolf head should be way bigger.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A phalanx with shields and spears wouldn't have been much use against armored knights would it? Like.. most of the armed forces of Westeros?
Cavalry and improved armor technology is why the phalanx fell out of use in the first place. And no, a phalanx wouldn't be as effective as you imagine against a heavy cavalry charge because with all the shields in the way, you aren't presenting nearly as many spears against the incoming charge.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cavalry and improved armor technology is why the phalanx fell out of use in the first place. And no, a phalanx wouldn't be as effective as you imagine against a heavy cavalry charge because with all the shields in the way, you aren't presenting nearly as many spears against the incoming charge.
The horse are armored too aren't they? Spears wouldn't be that effective would they? I'm asking, not trying to bait you. I learned my medieval combat tactics from Braveheart

Khane

Got something right about marriage
In every RTS I've ever played from that era spears always countered cavalry. So it must be accurate!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In every RTS I've ever played from that era spears always countered cavalry. So it must be accurate!
Yea but I think in reality heavy cavalry was unstoppable until they invented mass archery that was powerful enough to penetrate armor, yea?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The horse are armored too aren't they? Spears wouldn't be that effective would they? I'm asking, not trying to bait you. I learned my medieval combat tactics from Braveheart
Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic. It's hard to judge exactly how military technology evolved in Westeros, but horse barding developed quite a bit slower than human armor, it wasn't until Bannockburn and Crecy that it became obvious how much of a vulnerability the relatively unarmored horse was. Regardless, the momentum of a horse charging straight at a braced pike would cause the pike to punch through any armor a horse was capable of carrying. A cavalry force simply could not charge a pike hedge. Cavalry is the reason pikes stayed in common usage until the beginning of the 18th century when firearms finally replaced them.

*edit*

Granted, the Vale cavalry had the advantage of the Littlefinger magic teleporter, but the fact that they were completely unable to respond to a cavalry attack is a great example of why the phalanx fell out of use. Pikes were strictly defensive weapons and pike formations had to be protected by other units due to their inflexibility.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just feel like Littlefinger had to be waiting around the corner for the perfect moment to save the battle. He has control of an army for the first time, of course he wasn't just going to hand it over to Jon and let Jon use that army as he pleased. Littlefinger waited for the perfect moment so that he could be the hero and keep the majority of his army intact. There has to be more to this rather than Sansa just being a dumb twat and not telling her brother Littlefinger could double his forces just because she was mad at Littlefinger for handing her over to Ramsey. She hated Ramsey above all, and should have done anything in her power to see that he died. We'll see next week, looks like there will be some explanation...

Then again, the whole Arya getting gutshot and living plotline was stupid as fuck and nothing can repair that, so this is probably just more poor writing or planning on the part of the show writers.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Mounted archers are the death of non cavalry armies like the Romans. Just ask the Crassus about the Parthians and Rome about the Huns .

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Archers on foot are a hard counter to mounted archers, Crassus lost because he attacked the Parthians with pretty much nothing but heavy infantry.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I just feel like Littlefinger had to be waiting around the corner for the perfect moment to save the battle. He has control of an army for the first time, of course he wasn't just going to hand it over to Jon and let Jon use that army as he pleased. Littlefinger waited for the perfect moment so that he could be the hero and keep the majority of his army intact. There has to be more to this rather than Sansa just being a dumb twat and not telling her brother Littlefinger could double his forces just because she was mad at Littlefinger for handing her over to Ramsey. She hated Ramsey above all, and should have done anything in her power to see that he died. We'll see next week, looks like there will be some explanation...

Then again, the whole Arya getting gutshot and living plotline was stupid as fuck and nothing can repair that, so this is probably just more poor writing or planning on the part of the show writers.
If Littlefinger would've shown up early with the Knights of the Vale, and Ramsay knew they were there, he never would've left the damn castle, and it would've taken them months, if not years, to retake Winterfell, plus cost them a shit ton of men. People keep saying that Sansa is dumb for not telling Jon about Littlefinger coming to help, but it was actually a brilliant tactical move. It got Ramsay and his entire army outside of the castle walls because Ramsay didn't think there was any real threat. Plus, Sansa gets the added bonus of having thousands of wildlings killed in the process (you know, the north's enemy for centuries). Just because Jon befriended the Wildlings, doesn't mean Sansa did. People who think Sansa is stupid need to get a fucking clue. The only reason the siege on her old home worked was because of her intelligence.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If Littlefinger would've shown up early with the Knights of the Vale, and Ramsay knew they were there, he never would've left the damn castle, and it would've taken them months, if not years, to retake Winterfell, plus cost them a shit ton of men. People keep saying that Sansa is dumb for not telling Jon about Littlefinger coming to help, but it was actually a brilliant tactical move. It got Ramsay and his entire army outside of the castle walls because Ramsay didn't think there was any real threat. Plus, Sansa gets the added bonus of having thousands of wildlings killed in the process (you know, the north's enemy for centuries). Just because Jon befriended the Wildlings, doesn't mean Sansa did. People who think Sansa is stupid need to get a fucking clue. The only reason the siege on her old home worked was because of her intelligence.
SHE WAS NOT IN CONTACT WITH LF, SHE SENT ONE NOTE AND DID NOT EXPECT HIM TO ACTUALLY FOLLOW THROUGH AND SHOW UP. TO SAY ANYTHING WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE BECAUSE HE WOULD THEN BE COUNTING ON THE REINFORCEMENTS

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Read an article earlier where Kit said he actually hit the actor playing Ramsey when shooting the scene a couple times on accident and had to buy him a beer afterwards.
if you watch the behind the scenes, he does that scene for 10hours, i'm sure after hour 3, he's just slipping, and that's probably what the director was looking for, the "accidental" hit

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
SHE WAS NOT IN CONTACT WITH LF, SHE SENT ONE NOTE AND DID NOT EXPECT HIM TO ACTUALLY FOLLOW THROUGH AND SHOW UP. TO SAY ANYTHING WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE BECAUSE HE WOULD THEN BE COUNTING ON THE REINFORCEMENTS
Of course she knew. That dude is horny as fuck.