GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Did Varys beat Petyr Baelish's travel record by scooting from Mereen to Dorne to Mereen again in one episode?

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive because of my time playing ACoK but that's the same distance as dorne to hardholme.

Ice_and_Fire_World_Map.png
Varys left Meereen in episode 8.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Varys left mereen in what, episode 8? Makes friends with dorne peeps off screen, lays out the plan/alliance to queen of thorns in episode 10 after sir c kills everyone, then hops back to mereen for the final scene. It's somewhat jarring but not really hard to justify, the final scene takes place sometime later, it was just a nice book end to the season and sets up next season, would of been dumber to wait to show her leaving next season.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
When I first read the books way back when and figured John Snow was probably a Targ I thought that he and Dany would bring back the marriage incest thing. Now I think that will not happen because she cannot have any kids. My guess is the the series will end with Dany dying and handing her crown/kingdom over to her nephew John Targ, 1st if his name.

Basically making the whole story a Rags to Riches one, though he was never really in rags just a Bastard. So a Bastard to King story I guess.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I still don't know why anyone cares what blood Jon is.

Is he a Targ? Congrats, they don't have a claim to the throne any more. Congrats he is related to Dany and is male, she won't care and will take the throne over him. Congrats he might have some affinity to dragons, they obviously don't need a rider to mess things up.

Blood lines don't matter for the plot at all.

I get just wanting to know but they the answer in all reality doesn't matter at all.
One thing that's goofy in the show/books is that there is almost no mention of the Targaryens in Westeros. Robert's Rebellion was pretty recent and before that there were 300 years of Targaryen rule. The north falls all over itself to get a Stark in Winterfell (ok they ruled the north for like 8000 years), but nobody gives a shit about a Targaryen ruler.

But yeah, Jon's lineage at this point is irrelevant. As a Snow the north pledged fealty to him. He's king a da norf already. If Bran were to roll up in a tree-suit and tell Jon Snow he's really Jon Targaryen, what would that solve?

Maybe the first half of next season will build up to Danaerys needing to marry and her nephew, Jon Targaryen, becoming an obvious choice. I just hope they don't try to tell a love story for Daenarys and Jon. They had their love story. They were good. Let's get on with the killing.

Or maybe Sam Tarley will dust off the "How to unlock the Dragon's full potential by being a dragonrider." tome, if only the main hero of the show was a Targaryen!!

dragon_rider_by_deligaris-d65o1mf.jpg

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Did anyone else think that when they were chanting 'King of the North' it started to sound like 'King of it all' as the chant went on?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Blood lines don't matter for the plot at all.
What the fuck show have you been watching?

Now I think that will not happen because she cannot have any kids.
I forgot that she was barren. That makes Jon's lineage even more important, because even if she has a roughly equal claim due to him being a bastard, she can't give birth to a son which means Jon is the only living heir to House Targaryen.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay so walk me through this then Gavin.

Everyone finds out Jon is a Targ and it is 100% fact and everyone believes it.

Does he instantly get to sit on the throne? Nope, he still has to take it.
Does he inherit any land? Nope, that was all taken.
What about a title? Only the ones he gives himself.

Okay so Dany wins and takes over Westeros and then dies and now Jon gets it. Why though? Not really because he is a Targ but because Dany says so before she dies, if not then it is back to war and actually the Stark blood is more useful there.

There really is zero benefit to him being a Targ except the narrow scenario that it is necessary to ride a dragon and Dany is shot off the minute they show up in Westeros and Jon happens to be there and the dragons fly over and kneel before him. I say she has to die immediately without knowing him because the last blood relative she had left a bad taste in her mouth and she smiled as he died. She has no reason to not instantly roast him to ash at hearing even a rumor he is related.

Walk me through it though. How does him being a Targ bring any benefit that isn't tied to dragon riding which we aren't sure is a blood line thing (and he is only half so it might be too watered down, or the gene skipped him).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
...because if Dany finds out/believes he's a Targaryen and names him her heir, which she almost certainly would, Jon and his future children would be her successors. Was that a serious question or are you trolling?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
...because if Dany finds out/believes he's a Targaryen and names him her heir, which she almost certainly would, Jon and his future children would be her successors. Was that a serious question or are you trolling?
See above about her killing him instantly for being related. She is just as likely to name her translator her heir right now with all the girl power in her veins. She could also just name him so based on how she feels about him that day regardless of him being a Targ. She has no family loyalty at this point.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ok Astr0.
So you have nothing but a feeling that a girl abused by every person in her family who is now in a position of power is going to give it all to her nephew based on what Bran says.

This is all IF she survives long enough to win and bring peace to the land because blood lines only matter in peace time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I said IF she finds out and believes it, and I said she would name him her heir, not yield her claim in favor of his.

For all your blah blah blah about her having no family loyalty, she's obviously VERY proud of the Targaryen name, and if she can't have a child of her own, who the fuck else would she leave the seven kingdoms to instead of the only other living Targaryen?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I said IF she finds out and believes it, and I said she would name him her heir, not yield her claim in favor of his.

For all your blah blah blah about her having no family loyalty, she's obviously VERY proud of the Targaryen name, and if she can't have a child of her own, who the fuck else would she leave the seven kingdoms to instead of the only other living Targaryen?
Because she wants everyone to pay, especially the Starks. She already helped kill what she assumed was the last living Targ.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My top 10 list of best scenes from this season:
10) Ramsay kills his father/has the dogs eat his step mother and half brother.
9) The confrontation between Sam and his father (thought it was the best dialogue of the season, and was closest to something that Martin himself would've written).
8) Jon hangs the traitors, gives up being the Lord Commander.
7) Melisandre reveals how old she really is.
6) Arya kills Lord Frey.
5) Cersei blows up the Sept and kills half of King's Landing.
4) Dany barricades the door and burns all of the Dothraki khals, walks out unscathed (and shows off her titties for the first time since season 1).
3) The Hound returns!
2) Hold the door!
1) The battle of the bastards.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
She already helped kill what she assumed was the last living Targ.
She didn't help kill him. She stood by while her husband killed him for threatening her unborn child, not because Viserys was going to rule instead of herself. Obviously this was when she could still have children of her own as well. And Viserys had become cruel to her as she grew older holding the death of their mother while giving birth to her against her. A past she also shares with Jon.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I don't get why people have an issue with those saying that Varys suddenly appearing was jarring. I don't think anyone is going, NO BUT HOW. We've all ascertained that time obviously passed, the issue is that they dropped the ball on communicating that.

There's various ways to indicate that time passed in movies etc; sometimes it's a simple "7 months later" tag line, other times it's more subtle like facial hair having grown in.

Other than sudden flags unfurling with all the correct banners on hundreds of ships, they did shit all to indicate that months had passed in the 15 minutes it took us to leave Dany and go to another plotline.

We're in the same place, with the same people, who look exactly like they did 15 minutes before.

Also realize that shit like that was part of the reason Martin split events from this season/last season into two books. They were split by location, and not by time, so everything is happening simultaneously, but you're connecting again and again with the same characters, and getting to see the in between shit.

I assume due to things like actor contracts that was no viable for the show, but it does mean shit like this happens.

That doesn't mean it all happens exactly in the books as in the show, but that when certain characters have to meet up again, to push further, it seems like they've crossed the world overnight.

Dany probably just sent drogon to pick him up.

I can get why it might seem nitpicky in THIS episode, but it's a pretty valid criticism. The last few episodes hit so many high points that I can easily forgive the way they TP'd everyone so they'd all be in the right locations.

It's also jarring given we have Jamie do the same thing, but they showed him riding up on King's Landing, which establishes a timeline. With Varys, we don't see him leave Dorne, or arrive in Slaver's Bay. He's never mentioned - he goes from one plotline to another, instantly.

Personal opinion is that that was likely done intentionally, given what he said to Tyrion before he left. If they had mentioned Varys, we'd have known he succeeded, and they wanted the full reveal with Varys on the ship, indicating success, followed by all the ships.