GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Sutk, you want to know why people give Tyrion a pass and think Dany is annoying? It's because of character development.

The main problem I have with Dany's story is she feels like she isshrinkingas a character. She is the Khaleesi that pushed down andmountedDrogo(Other women have probably tried that, and he probably snapped their necks),tamedhim, broke free from her brother and then walked into the flames andendured, literally, as test of fire. She grew from a little girl into a bad assin thefirstbook. How does this powerful, confident, awesome woman--who was able to be the equal of one of the most powerful, masculine, dominant men in the world, all the sudden start creaming her pants over some blue haired dude and crying because he spurned her?

This "weakness" of her character was already conquered. She IS the fuckingdragon, she does NOT swoon over men, she takes them, and they are lucky to get some. This is the Dany we came to know in the first 3 books. The Dany that kicks down doors, takes what's hers, kills her enemies and moves the fuck on. She does not look back because she's already been judged by fire, and now the world will burn and be born anew with her--those that are not strong enough willdie, this was a fact she accepted when she smothered the love of her life. Everything about her character showed she had grown into the hardened, visionary woman that accepted her destiny would be built on top offire and blood.

Then...BAM....All the sudden, we get to this town and we have a Dany that lacks confidence, second guesses her destiny, allows herself to be bullied by assholes, is worried about the weak shits that can't climb out of slavery even when their bonds are broken and is whining that she can't be in love with some guy that hastitty daggers--where the fuck did this character come from? She is shrinking,recedingfrom the awesomeness of her initial developments. As a reader, watching a great character essentially lose some of herself and back track previous developments is just very frustrating.

Tyrion, on the other hand, never conquered his want of love. In fact, we are regularly introduced to his low self esteem and neediness around women--it's a huge, very apparent flaw in the character that henevertriumphed over. When we see Tyrion being an idiot with Shae, we not only expect it, wesympathizewith it because we know the characters ghosts have made him this way. And we know it's all compounded by his inability to do anything but throw small barbs at his horrible family. He finallygrewwhen he killed his father and severed his connection with Jaime--that was him walking into his flames. THAT was his "blood of my blood" moment--now if Tyrion goes gaga over some girl after all that, he'd be guilty of the same kind of character shrinkage as Dany.

You don't go through that kind of character metamorphosis twice--and it seems like Martin is trying to force that with Dany. Turning her into a wishy-washy, sissified, version of herself so she can eventually be "reborn" again, and come out stronger. Hell, Martin was so obtuse with his intent that he painted the symbolism with her dragons--as Dany became weaker, her Dragons respected her less. It wasn't until she "walked into the fire" again, that Drogon respected her again and let her ride him. There is even a line in the books that says this, where she said if she shrank away, he would have killed her--because before that moment, Dany had lost what it was that made her the "blood of the Dragon"--she was just some weak, white haired bitch in Drogon's eyes. THAT was Dany's problem--she didn't "grow" to become strong enough to ride the Dragons, instead Martinweakenedher and then made her stronger again in some kind of "epiphany" moment where she remembered she had a serious set of ovaries--that's just shitty character development.

Though, granted, Chrisd's hatred is pretty much off the scale for what is essentially lazy writing. I happen to really enjoy Dany's character, I just think her last few chapters would have been better handled in flash backs or little stories told in other scenes--which I can say, to some degree, about all the characters. I think it's really showing how Martin never really intended to write these last two books.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread was heading to Rickshaw territory over the last 24 hours. Lithose has righted the ship.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
100% spot on. I can't believe anyone but the most pussy-less nerd can list Dany as one of their favorite characters in these books. Maybe after the first few, but ADWD pretty much destroyed her character progression.

Will be interesting to see if Jon fucks her doggy style, or missionary though.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Nobody should be lauding Tywin Lannister for anything. He was a smart guy in war and politics but the fact that he had no clue his twin kids were fucking each other and then had a demonspawn for a kid who is now ruling the kingdom shows how stupid he is. And if he does suspect and thinks its ok, he is a dumbass. Lannisters are NOT Targaryens... dipping a little bit too much in the shallow end of the gene pool is NOT good and he should realize that after dealing with the Mad King.

Firewalker

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm just surprised that Chuk isn't arguing about why they are called White Walkers and not White Zombies.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Nobody should be lauding Tywin Lannister for anything. He was a smart guy in war and politics but the fact that he had no clue his twin kids were fucking each other and then had a demonspawn for a kid who is now ruling the kingdom shows how stupid he is. And if he does suspect and thinks its ok, he is a dumbass. Lannisters are NOT Targaryens... dipping a little bit too much in the shallow end of the gene pool is NOT good and he should realize that after dealing with the Mad King.
Tywin had to have known his kids were boning. He probably didn't give a shit openly because his incest twins were doing big things. These people, the Lannisters, are obsessed with legacy & family name. One generation of inbred hillbilly babies isn't going to corrupt a family line.

Tywin, and really most of the characters in ASOIAF (outside people like The Mountain), are so enjoyable because regardless of how big of a dickhead they are, you can relate and sympathize with em. Tywin has basically been alone since his deformed mutant babby killed his wife, his twin children have been fucking since puberty, and most of his underlings are morons. He's hardnosed because life is hard, even when you're rich as shit and have power and all that, you still might die on the shitter.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sutk, you want to know why people give Tyrion a pass and think Dany is annoying? It's because of character development.

The main problem I have with Dany's story is she feels like she isshrinkingas a character. She is the Khaleesi that pushed down andmountedDrogo(Other women have probably tried that, and he probably snapped their necks),tamedhim, broke free from her brother and then walked into the flames andendured, literally, as test of fire. She grew from a little girl into a bad assin thefirstbook. How does this powerful, confident, awesome woman--who was able to be the equal of one of the most powerful, masculine, dominant men in the world, all the sudden start creaming her pants over some blue haired dude and crying because he spurned her?

This "weakness" of her character was already conquered. She IS the fuckingdragon, she does NOT swoon over men, she takes them, and they are lucky to get some. This is the Dany we came to know in the first 3 books. The Dany that kicks down doors, takes what's hers, kills her enemies and moves the fuck on. She does not look back because she's already been judged by fire, and now the world will burn and be born anew with her--those that are not strong enough willdie, this was a fact she accepted when she smothered the love of her life. Everything about her character showed she had grown into the hardened, visionary woman that accepted her destiny would be built on top offire and blood.

Then...BAM....All the sudden, we get to this town and we have a Dany that lacks confidence, second guesses her destiny, allows herself to be bullied by assholes, is worried about the weak shits that can't climb out of slavery even when their bonds are broken and is whining that she can't be in love with some guy that hastitty daggers--where the fuck did this character come from? She is shrinking,recedingfrom the awesomeness of her initial developments. As a reader, watching a great character essentially lose some of herself and back track previous developments is just very frustrating.

Tyrion, on the other hand, never conquered his want of love. In fact, we are regularly introduced to his low self esteem and neediness around women--it's a huge, very apparent flaw in the character that henevertriumphed over. When we see Tyrion being an idiot with Shae, we not only expect it, wesympathizewith it because we know the characters ghosts have made him this way. And we know it's all compounded by his inability to do anything but throw small barbs at his horrible family. He finallygrewwhen he killed his father and severed his connection with Jaime--that was him walking into his flames. THAT was his "blood of my blood" moment--now if Tyrion goes gaga over some girl after all that, he'd be guilty of the same kind of character shrinkage as Dany.

You don't go through that kind of character metamorphosis twice--and it seems like Martin is trying to force that with Dany. Turning her into a wishy-washy, sissified, version of herself so she can eventually be "reborn" again, and come out stronger. Hell, Martin was so obtuse with his intent that he painted the symbolism with her dragons--as Dany became weaker, her Dragons respected her less. It wasn't until she "walked into the fire" again, that Drogon respected her again and let her ride him. There is even a line in the books that says this, where she said if she shrank away, he would have killed her--because before that moment, Dany had lost what it was that made her the "blood of the Dragon"--she was just some weak, white haired bitch in Drogon's eyes. THAT was Dany's problem--she didn't "grow" to become strong enough to ride the Dragons, instead Martinweakenedher and then made her stronger again in some kind of "epiphany" moment where she remembered she had a serious set of ovaries--that's just shitty character development.

Though, granted, Chrisd's hatred is pretty much off the scale for what is essentially lazy writing. I happen to really enjoy Dany's character, I just think her last few chapters would have been better handled in flash backs or little stories told in other scenes--which I can say, to some degree, about all the characters. I think it's really showing how Martin never really intended to write these last two books.
This I understand. It was the thing that bothered me the most during the books about her. Legit post A+ 1'up etc. all that jazz.

I imagine the series will at least be finished in 4 years, I mean the show can't really go ahead of the books.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This I understand. It was the thing that bothered me the most during the books about her. Legit post A+ 1'up etc. all that jazz.

I imagine the series will at least be finished in 4 years, I mean the show can't really go ahead of the books.
I thought that was part of the production of the series. The two head producer dudes actually got a scope from GRRM about it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well yeah fatty mc bitch tits is an executive producer and writer for the show. I just imagine he'll finish the books before the seasons that correlate with them.

Banal_sl

shitlord
If Drogo had survived the loss of his Khal, hatched some dragons, fucked some Qartheen Dido on the way to taking her shit and funding an army, sacking a city, and then setting himself up as king of another city, he would be unequivocally lauded as the greatest character in the series. That bitch couldn't even fight off a Staph infection.

But yeah, Dany's chapters in book 5 were a pile of shit.

Banal_sl

shitlord
Dany is essentially in a temporal holding pattern because her power is dependent on grown dragons. So Martin uses the Slaver's Bay conflict as a foil to develop other characters. Which is fine because Dany has to just sit there. However, if Dany is a dragon, she should be out doing dragon shit. What would Aegon be doing? He'd be doing proactive shit like killing people and fucking his sisters. Dany might have a different moral compass, but she should be effectual. She literally just sits around alternating between anxious and horny. Martin should have invented a more compelling waiting game, one that doesn't cause her character to regress, as Lithose said.