GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think that thousands upon thousands of people dying, rebellion at every corner, complete disarray, an this on the heels of the worst winter in known history is not good for "the realm." Unless by "good for the realm" you mean "virtually destroys the realm." Maybe that's it, maybe he's a tree hugger and this is all a big "back to nature" movement from him and Illyrio.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't matter what I think. Varys might believe that putting a Targ on the throne will lead to a thousand years of peace and prosperity. Surely that would outweigh the suffering of half the realm for a few years? He could, with complete sincerity, say he's working for the good of the realm in that case.

Everyone always thinks they are the good guy/hero in their own story. That their motivations are the right ones. It's not whether what they are doing is actually for the good of the realm, it's whether they BELIEVE it is. Road to hell etc etc...

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Regards to Thoros comments from a bit earlier, I thought he was drunk even at the melee he was winning... also, don't they specifically make fun of his flaming sword being a big fake distraction when they talk about Stannis' sword being actually a real flaming sword?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Best to have lots of humans die before an undead invasion converts them all to zombies... and/or starvation from a prolonged winter.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't matter what I think. Varys might believe that putting a Targ on the throne will lead to a thousand years of peace and prosperity. Surely that would outweigh the suffering of half the realm for a few years? He could, with complete sincerity, say he's working for the good of the realm in that case.

Everyone always thinks they are the good guy/hero in their own story. That their motivations are the right ones. It's not whether what they are doing is actually for the good of the realm, it's whether they BELIEVE it is. Road to hell etc etc...
So what you're saying is that if you make up a bunch of bullshit you can confidently pretend to fill our incomplete knowledge.

Godric_sl

shitlord
Combining Thoros and Tom was incredibly dumb, I see no reason for it.

From what I've seen so far it's not that different from season 2, aka endless streams of dumb changes.

I think that if goes on like this, I really don't mind if it gets cancelled.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If we could just pinpoint the first events that caused all these diverging plots to take over westeros. Was it the death of the prince targ?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
If we could just pinpoint the first events that caused all these diverging plots to take over westeros. Was it the death of the prince targ?
According to Barristan, it was him losing the tourney at Harrenhal which led to Rhaegar naming Lyanna Stark queen of love and beauty or whatever the fuck.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
Varys is not lying when he murders Kevan, or in his discussion with Ned or when Arya overhears him with Illyrio, that's the whole purpose of those scenes, to let the reader in on an unguarded Varys. He explains his vision for the realm when he kills Kevan and it is Aegon's kingship. He may simply want to seat a good king on the throne, he may want to specifically seat a Blackfyre pretender on the throne and for the realm relates to the perceived better blood line or maybe Aegon is real and he wants to seat a real Targ on the throne as he believes the Targ's are the rightful rulers, whatever the case he believes it to be the best course of action for the realm.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what you're saying is that if you make up a bunch of bullshit you can confidently pretend to fill our incomplete knowledge.
Well if you want to be a cunt about it we're all just coming up with bullshit to justify our stances.

But if anyone is of the belief that Varys can't possibly be working forwhat he thinksis best for the realm because people are dying they are being stupid.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd say it was Robert's death. Sure there was a bit of upheaval during his rebellion, but for something like 15-17 years there had been peace and prosperity under Robert's rule. The only hiccup was the Greyjoy rebellion. Other than that, things were going swimmingly for everyone during Robert's reign.

Even Ned wouldn't have died had Robert managed to stay alive, thus most likely avoiding Catelyn's idiot move of arresting Tyrion and sparking all of that bullshit as well.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
The whole Lannister v. Stark mess that facilitated Roberts death was a "diverging plot" by Varys and Illyrio. You really just gotta start at the beginning.

As for Varys motives, Chrisd pretty much nailed it a few posts up.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
Robert only lives by working out Cersei is trying to kill him, as she would just keep trying until she succeeded. And Robert working out Cersei is trying to kill him leads to war also.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Even if she doesn't kill him and Ned succeeds in letting Robert know his kids are not his, what do people think would have happened?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The whole Lannister v. Stark mess that facilitated Roberts death was a "diverging plot" by Varys and Illyrio. You really just gotta start at the beginning.

As for Varys motives, Chrisd pretty much nailed it a few posts up.
I thought the Lannisters and Starks had hated each other even before Robert's rebellion started.

Even if she doesn't kill him and Ned succeeds in letting Robert know his kids are not his, what do people think would have happened?
Basically this. If Robert had lived that day then Ned would have told him about Cersei and Jamie, and Robert would have gone berserk and done gods know what to Cersei. I seriously doubt she'd have been able to make any attempts on his life after that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
@mcc

robert's death didnt start it, the reason why they waited 15 years is because "they" wanted young gryff/aegon and dany (and viserys) to have time to mature and be ready to take back the iron throne. when they matured enough, all that shit with jon arryn started cropping up.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
The war was inevitable, and the Lannisters would have been gang fucked if not for LF having Arryn murdered and the Vale sit it out.

Had Arryn told Robert, the Vale, North and Stormlands destroy the Lannisters. He basically delayed the war, and evened up the teams.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Varys is not lying when he murders Kevan, or in his discussion with Ned or when Arya overhears him with Illyrio, that's the whole purpose of those scenes, to let the reader in on an unguarded Varys. He explains his vision for the realm when he kills Kevan and it is Aegon's kingship. He may simply want to seat a good king on the throne, he may want to specifically seat a Blackfyre pretender on the throne and for the realm relates to the perceived better blood line or maybe Aegon is real and he wants to seat a real Targ on the throne as he believes the Targ's are the rightful rulers, whatever the case he believes it to be the best course of action for the realm.
I think you're making an assumption when you say he isn't lying. He is using flowery language because "for the realm" sounds better than "in service of my Targaryen masters" or whatever the real truth is. None of us know what it is, but whatever it is the realm is suffering for it right now. We just read like 3 1500 page books that do almost nothing but focus on how this bullshit is tearing the realm apart and causing its people to suffer.