GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Daenarys story is wildly divergent from the rest of the characters in many ways including progression, locale and storytelling style. Many people say that while most of GoT turns traditional storytelling on its head the Daenarys storyline is very typical of a fantasy.

Personally I haven't cared about her scenes since Drogo died. Once she emerged with her dragons her progression has been predictable and unbelievable at the same time.
It's how I feel too. And because she quickly went from a semi sympathetic figure under her brother's watch, to an all empowering bitch, so quickly, it's hard to relate with her or root for her

naw, see logical hyperbole below:

dany's story is analogous, in my mind, to a wave developing from a trickle of water to a tsunami. i really can't wait til she crashes
smile.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's how I feel too. And because she quickly went from a semi sympathetic figure under her brother's watch, to an all empowering bitch, so quickly, it's hard to relate with her or root for her
Bitch? She's like the nicest character in the whole series, lol. No one else from Westeros would give half a shit about saving slaves or taking care of people.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I just hate how fuckingeasyshe's had it. Shit isliterallyjust falling into her lap. Even the Lannisters are having to "struggle" a bit. Ever since Drogo, Dany has had event after event go "right" for her, without any effort at all. That's what I hate about it.
Oh yeah. It's not like her brother traded her into slavery for an army. Her owner, husband and serial rapist was a real people's person too in the beginning. Lost a child and a husband. Easy, yeah, that's the word
rolleyes.png
biggrin.png

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Gwendoline Christie is almost too beautiful or handsome to play Brienne. Same with Peter Dinklage
It's a TV show. I don't want to look at uggos. While it's a good thing she's still huge, I'm glad they didn't find some roided female bodybuilder or Chyna lookalike to play her either.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's not like her brother traded her into slavery... Her owner, husband and serial rapist was a real people's person too in the beginning. Lost a child and a husband.
Sounds like a normal day in the life of a Westerosi woman.

Siliconemelons

its going to be a red wedding type reaction when mormont betrays her, you know its going to happen, I think barriston will die defending her and new boy will save her and kill or force mormont to run.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Those roided chicks have deeper voices than you or I. Theyd end up having to also hire a voice actor to ADR all her lines. This girl was a fine choice though I dont find tall girls very sexy

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The finale just further highlighted how little I care about Daenerys' storyline. I was absolutely glued to the screen just watching the Lannisters have a conversation over a table, but her big moment at the end, with chanting and being carried off, all I could think was "wow I hope it doesn't end after this scene". Are people more engaged in her than I am, or are they just misreading the appeal of her and her story to continue to carry on the same sort of plotline for 2 seasons now.
I feel the same way. Not necessarily about everything Dany does; watching her lay the smackdown on that first slaver was awesome, but the way the season ended was boring.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
But, and I'm really asking here, does that matter?

Theon isn't respected in his own home or in his own hometown. His sister is pretty obviously the heir to the lordship of the iron islands when she can tell her father the king, "Well fuck you then. I'm taking your best boat and 50 of your best killers and I'm gonna GO GET SHIT DONE you greasy old fuck."

Maybe that doesn't play in the other 6 kingdoms, but so what. They are the undying iron born. The other 6 kingdoms can go fuck off. You either talk to the Queen or you talk to the Sword*!

(*talking to the queen and talking to the sword both result in your costal villages being pillaged)
The king of the Iron Islands or whatever does not seem to interact much outside of his islands, so the rest of the Lords of Westeros don't seem to know that he considers Theon a worthless piece of shit (even more so now that he is down a dick). After all, the rest of them value their sons very highly, so holding Greyjoy's son is a huge chip in their eyes.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah. It's not like her brother traded her into slavery for an army. Her owner, husband and serial rapist was a real people's person too in the beginning. Lost a child and a husband. Easy, yeah, that's the word
rolleyes.png
biggrin.png
Hence why I said, "since Drogo".

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brienne nekkid

You can see there that she has a vagina, so I'd hit it.

Although I do think she should have played Brienne with her natural hair.

fTj78v7.jpg

As for GRRM's feelings on the show diverging from the books: He comes from TV writing, I'd wager he's all for it as long as it makes for good TV.

khalid

Unelected Mod
As for GRRM's feelings on the show diverging from the books: He comes from TV writing, I'd wager he's all for it as long as it makes for good TV.
Yep, GRRM is hardly a book purist when it comes to adaptation. He has talked at length about how he originally wrote these books because he wanted a format where he wasn't constrained by budgets. Pretty much all of his talk about the show has been positive and he pretty much gets his pick of what episode he wants to write each season. As GRRM is watching the money trucks get driven to his house each month, I bet he has to pinch himself in how lucky he got that HBO was willing to adapt his books.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As GRRM is watching the money trucks get driven to his house each month
I remember looking it up at one point during or right after season one. Various versions/collections of his books were like 6 of the top 10 sellers on Amazon at one point. And the top 5 or so on the fantasy list.

Bodger

Silver Knight of the Realm
Since Drogo is a long time ago - I think the sentiment is if she would have gone through some kind of adversity larger then a speed bump this season people would be a little happier with her story.

Also I'd like to echo Noodlefaces sentiment from earlier. I read book 1, skipped book 2 and just started the audio book for Storm of Swords(realizing waiting for season 4 is going to be too long) As long as you are well versed in what the continent looks like and who the major players are including the houses that are pledged to them its pretty awesome.

Especially when the older british guy who narrates the audiobook is faced with the sex scenes - pretty hilarious.

I will stop posting in this thread when I catch up to where the show is. I know how tempting it can be to drop subtle hints at what happens next and don't want to be that guy.

Also I got my audiobook free from a facebook promo - signup was painless and canceling the continuing subscription was easy, just need an existing amazon account. Cheers