GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I watched on DirecTV and it was dark but I didn't have trouble telling what was going on. I sort of felt like it was inevitably going to be at night because that would be such a huge advantage for the dead that of course they would attack in the dark. It always takes me out of it when TV shows where it's supposedly night are lit up like it's daylight out and not only the audience but also the characters can see perfectly.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
haha there's a fucking brightness enhanced torrent on IPT as of today

wM4f1ot.png

Hq3M9DJ.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched on DirecTV and it was dark but I didn't have trouble telling what was going on. I sort of felt like it was inevitably going to be at night because that would be such a huge advantage for the dead that of course they would attack in the dark. It always takes me out of it when TV shows where it's supposedly night are lit up like it's daylight out and not only the audience but also the characters can see perfectly.

"Darkshire"

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

TV is a visual medium and if you can't see the action or read the actor's faces, you can't follow the story and it becomes less engaging or confusing. Note how the above still conveys darkness perfectly while still letting you clearly see what's going on. There's plenty of well done dark scenes in past episodes, they just messed up on this one. Shit happens.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
This is like, a totally different scene than what I got to see. I had my brightness cranked to max on my TV, had fucking clothes draped over the small light from my sound system / electronics and still couldn't hardly see shit

Despite what some retards have suggested, it's NOT your TV, it's the video source. For best results download a 1080p or better version of the episode and tweak the warmth, contrast and gamma settings in VLC. There's a few discussions about it online.

Even on OLED TVs it's too dark.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jon has just cause to execute Lord Glover and they better at least mention it clearly even if it doesn't get its own scene. Be a nice parallel to Ned executing the traitor in the beginning, and be interesting when compared to Robb's misstep in executing Lord Karstark.
haha there's a fucking brightness enhanced torrent on IPT as of today

wM4f1ot.png

Hq3M9DJ.png
I'll def have to check this out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ladro

Anomaly
I streamed it on a TCL Roku 4k HDR set with the native HBO Go app. I had no issues with visibility or clarity and my set is calibrated correctly at eye level.

I absolutely believe that most people watch TV on a washed out, out of the box Best Buy configured flat screen that they've mounted over their fireplace that's positioned too high. People think that watching something at a 30 degree angle in a brightly lit room is optimal, it's not. Fuck those guys.

I'll agree that it was pretty dark, but this is a completely subjective argument. If the cinematographer, color corrector, and editor say it was to their specifications, then they wanted it that way. Plain and simple. If you had issues with the viewing, it's going to come down to QAM/stream compression, lack of calibration, ambient room luminosity, and viewing angle. Or maybe you're fucking old and getting blind.

Edit: Only true test will be with BD source, but we have to wait for that.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TV is a visual medium and if you can't see the action or read the actor's faces, you can't follow the story and it becomes less engaging or confusing. Note how the above still conveys darkness perfectly while still letting you clearly see what's going on. There's plenty of well done dark scenes in past episodes, they just messed up on this one. Shit happens.

The whole episode reeks of artistic choice trumping everything else. From the nonsensical defensive battle plan being set up to make the cinematic moments they wanted, to the millions of undead fucking off, so the heroes can flail wildly as the undead run at them 1 at a time, and to the shroud of darkness over the whole thing.

For me, the darkness wasn't that big of a deal. The only time I remember thinking, wtf is going on, is in some of the cuts from various dragons, when they are in the clouds (we want to give you the PoV of Jon or Dany, if they cant see shit, you cant see shit, artistic license).

• 2Like

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Its not like the Night's King / Undead apocalypse arc ended in the middle of a season in the middle of the series. Its the final season of an 8 year long series with only 4 episodes remaining at the time. Every episode after the first 2 setting the stage should be nothing but ending story arcs and tying up loose ends.

If there is a legit gripe about the story telling I think it would be more about there being so little exposition or insight into the Night's King as a character and his motivations. But he isn't and never was a deep character. He was just a big bad for people to fight.

Darkness of the episode detracted a little but I didn't think it was so bad to be unwatchable.

• 2Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its not like the Night's King / Undead apocalypse arc ended in the middle of a season in the middle of the series. Its the final season of an 8 year long series with only 4 episodes remaining at the time. Every episode after the first 2 setting the stage should be nothing but ending story arcs and tying up loose ends.

It ended in a poor written, poorly lit, boring episode. It had no surprise or moment where the collective masses when "WOW This is Original". They spent 8 years foreshadowing this and building up to a moment that should have never happend given the buildup. If they wanted to make this plausible they should have said all along that his army is capped at 100,00 and they can't attack in a group larger than 5.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just got caught up on all 3 episodes and have read the last 30 or so pages and I don't get the Nerdrage.. Yes, the recent seasons aren't as good as those written based on the original material, but we all knew that would be the case, and yet imho it's still the best thing on TV and is at least relatively faithful to maintaining the storyline.

My opinion on the last episode is mixed. Taken in isolation and its own merits, it was probably the most exciting 90 minutes of TV in memory-- I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Yes there were a few things that didn't make logical sense, like the layout of the army, or the odd silence as Arya tiptoes around while a war rages outside, but I can easily overlook all that in what was a masterful adrenaline pumping spectacle. The episode itself, taken simply for itself, was fantastic. It is less so in the context of the series, as the Night King's demise was simply anti-climactic-- I expected some sort of actual "fight". I didn't have a problem with Arya being the one to kill him, but the method was just too easy in light of the buildup. The 2nd problem this introduces in the context of the series is, what's next? How can a war with Cersei establish any fulfilling climax when the Night King and his army/dragon are a far more malignant and intriguing topic? Basically, unless there are some serious plot twists I'm missing that either bring back the NK or White Walkers, I just don't see how revolving the last few episodes over a fight for the Iron Throne can feel satisfying in light of this episode and the lack of the undead threat.

Episode on its own merits: 8.5/10 (just needed to be brighter!!)
Episode in context of series if it just plays out as expected as a fight for the Iron Throne: 6/10
Episode in context of series if there is some plot twist that makes it more than just a Cersei vs Jon/Danaerys 8.5/10

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My only hopes for the next 3 episodes is that they take place during day, so we never have to discuss the dark/shitty picture again.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
4/10 series : Game of Thrones ends its last 3 episodes with the typical tropes. Dany vs Cersei, their Ballista's kill a dragon or two, Cersei kills Dany, Arya kills Cersei, Clegane vs Clegane, Jon takes the throne and is a boring ass king

6/10 series : some unexpected shit in Dany vs Cersei vs Arya vs Jon, Dany goes nuts and dark, Cersei blows up kings landing, Jaime kills Cersei, Jon kills Dany, Arya/Sansa kills Jon and is the new boring ass queen

10/10 series : the Drowned God returns as a force of nature, wipes everyone out, a million dragons explode from the moon and are his army, an army of faceless men fly in on black dragons from Asshai, Transformers and Harry Potter and Spider-man and Apocalypse all fight and Hot Pie is the new King of The Andals, Protector of the Pie

emsxkq13emv21.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Weird, someone trained in the temple of the many faced god was able to sneak by some undead retards that haven't done a single thing the entire series except march.

UN BELIEVABLE

RIDICULOUS

I HATE THIS SHOW

MY PARENTS DONT LOVE ME

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Orth

Trakanon Raider
Weird, someone trained in the temple of the many faced god was able to sneak by some undead retards that haven't done a single thing the entire series except march.

UN BELIEVABLE

RIDICULOUS

I HATE THIS SHOW

MY PARENTS DONT LOVE ME
This season reminds me of how it would be if they killed Thanks half way through Avengers Endgame and spent the rest of the show showing a political game between the U.N. and SHIELD.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
4/10 series : Game of Thrones ends its last 3 episodes with the typical tropes. Dany vs Cersei, their Ballista's kill a dragon or two, Cersei kills Dany, Arya kills Cersei, Clegane vs Clegane, Jon takes the throne and is a boring ass king

6/10 series : some unexpected shit in Dany vs Cersei vs Arya vs Jon, Dany goes nuts and dark, Cersei blows up kings landing, Jaime kills Cersei, Jon kills Dany, Arya/Sansa kills Jon and is the new boring ass queen

10/10 series : the Drowned God returns as a force of nature, wipes everyone out, a million dragons explode from the moon and are his army, an army of faceless men fly in on black dragons from Asshai, Transformers and Harry Potter and Spider-man and Apocalypse all fight and Hot Pie is the new King of The Andals, Protector of the Pie

emsxkq13emv21.jpg

The only 10/10 ending for me is if Bronn gets his fookin' castle by sitting on the iron fookin throne in the end. I really hope he goes fuck all ya all, you don't pay shit.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i didn't have issues w/ "too dark" but the dragon fight scenes, maybe i'm getting too old, but did anyone want to vomit watching it? like those super fast cuts and crappy action almost cause nausea.

Usually the only thing that fucks me up is FPS, towards the 30m mark theres like bile in my throat and i feel queesy as shit, but i never had issue w/ shakycam action (the worst kind) before until the shaky dragon fights.

i couldn't even tell what was happening, i think there was some talons and biting involved.

• 1Like