GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I feel bad for book readers who are still hoping and praying for him to complete the series. Never. Going. To. Happen.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Not every story can have an on-screen ending like The Mist

That movie sucked, but that ending was legendary. Also, the movie ending for "The Shining" was way better than Stephen King's ending in the book. Why blow up the hotel? Much scarier that it remains intact to ensnare someone else. I guess I shouldn't have used King as an example. As bad as Martin is, he's a billion times better than King. Never understood why Stephen King gets so much praise. Maybe 2 of his books were good. He's a terrible writer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That movie sucked, but that ending was legendary. Also, the movie ending for "The Shining" was way better than Stephen King's ending in the book. Why blow up the hotel? Much scarier that it remains intact to ensnare someone else. I guess I shouldn't have used King as an example. As bad as Martin is, he's a billion times better than King. Never understood why Stephen King gets so much praise. Maybe 2 of his books were good. He's a terrible writer.
nah, he was very good, but it depends on what era of King we are discussing. pre sober era is his golden age. after he got off the junk, a lot of his creativity dried up and he stopped hitting home runs with every book. Gerald's Game was his first big stinker. he had declined before that with Needful Things and 4 Past Midnight, but those were still decent. Dark Half was trash . he was hit and miss since the 90s. once you notice his story patterns, a lot of his books become predictable and that became very obvious in the 90s. he has a lot more great books than two . i could reel off a dozen that you would have to admit were sweet.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
nah, he was very good, but it depends on what era of King we are discussing. pre sober era is his golden age. after he got off the junk, a lot of his creativity dried up and he stopped hitting home runs with every book. Gerald's Game was his first big stinker. he had declined before that with Needful Things and 4 Past Midnight, but those were still decent. Dark Half was trash . he was hit and miss since the 90s. once you notice his story patterns, a lot of his books become predictable and that became very obvious in the 90s. he has a lot more great books than two . i could reel off a dozen that you would have to admit were sweet.

Even when King was good, he was terrible. His writing style is very amateurish. All of his characters are stock/stereotypical and as deep as a puddle. It was so bad, that King used to even bash on himself for how awful his writing was, calling his own work "the equivalent of a burger and fries." Yet despite that, he managed a few novels that were still amazing, like "The Shining" and "Misery." The other problem King had was his editor was not very good. A lot of King's work should've had a few hundred pages cut out of them, as he was very meandering with chapters that could've been removed entirely and would've actually made his work better.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a King tangent in the GOT thread. I just find it insulting that King's name comes up at all when people talk about American writers. When you have writers like Capote, Vonnegut, Twain, McCarthy, etc... it's embarrassing that most Americans will think of Stephen King first if you ask them to name an American novelist.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Even when King was good, he was terrible. His writing style is very amateurish. All of his characters are stock/stereotypical and as deep as a puddle. It was so bad, that King used to even bash on himself for how awful his writing was, calling his own work "the equivalent of a burger and fries." Yet despite that, he managed a few novels that were still amazing, like "The Shining" and "Misery." The other problem King had was his editor was not very good. A lot of King's work should've had a few hundred pages cut out of them, as he was very meandering with chapters that could've been removed entirely and would've actually made his work better.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a King tangent in the GOT thread. I just find it insulting that King's name comes up at all when people talk about American writers. When you have writers like Capote, Vonnegut, Twain, McCarthy, etc... it's embarrassing that most Americans will think of Stephen King first if you ask them to name an American novelist.
I don't think it's fair to call King a terrible writer. He's definitely not a tidy and efficient writer on par with Herbert, nor does he have the enthralling prose of RR martin, but he's also not comparable to the truly terrible writers I've read, of which there are legion. He's definitely a writer that gets a bit lost in his focus and what's happening, but at times it's also what can work best about his writing. A meandering story with the shadow of something greater is when horror writing can have an affect on me. It's kinda the same way in video horror. The less you show or focus on the threat, the more scary said threat is, because you take the time to fill in the gaps.

King is a passable author with a unique flair. Not really my thing, but I can't objectively call him bad.

• 1Like

Goatface

anyone seen charts like this with season 8 numbers? looks like bunch came out right before season 8 release, and afterwards sites just have ranked scenes from all 8. side note apparently GoT ranks 7th for nudity and sex, with Shameless being #1

1620746490327.png

1620746518515.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i guess we'll have to disagree then. i was a huge SK fan growing up. some books i have read dozens of times. but i also a fan of Steinbeck and some other authors. the reason why people dont talk about Twain much anymore is probably due to the fact he's been dead for a hundred years and you can only remake Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn movies so many times before people say, enough is enough. his books are being removed from history as well because of one of the names for his characters. people know King books because he's been writing novels and they have been made into films for close to 50 years. thats long enough for grandparents to have read his books when they were young. he has so much work that they will probably be making and remaking movies based on his novels for the next 50 years or until they find out what made his kids so messed up.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 8 never existed. That is why.

The White Walkers got through the wall. Everybody died. The end

• 3Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i guess we'll have to disagree then. i was a huge SK fan growing up. some books i have read dozens of times. but i also a fan of Steinbeck and some other authors. the reason why people dont talk about Twain much anymore is probably due to the fact he's been dead for a hundred years and you can only remake Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn movies so many times before people say, enough is enough. his books are being removed from history as well because of one of the names for his characters. people know King books because he's been writing novels and they have been made into films for close to 50 years. thats long enough for grandparents to have read his books when they were young. he has so much work that they will probably be making and remaking movies based on his novels for the next 50 years or until they find out what made his kids so messed up.

Being popular doesn't necessarily make it good. If that were the case, then Harry Potter would be the greatest novels ever written, and Avatar would be one of the greatest movies ever made. King may be popular, but there's a reason why his works will never be part of the literary canon.

• 1Dislike

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Being popular doesn't necessarily make it good. If that were the case, then Harry Potter would be the greatest novels ever written, and Avatar would be one of the greatest movies ever made. King may be popular, but there's a reason why his works will never be part of the literary canon.
as i said, its a difference of opinion. Twain was good for his day. King is what passes for good these days, Crichton and Koontz cant really compete with King's volume and James Patterson is a fraud who packs most of his books with empty pages. you can say King sucks all day long, but a lot of people like his writing, i used to. his writing is sketchy at best now and since i learned he's also a massive hypocrite, i want nothing to do with him anymore. but at least i was able to enjoy those books at the time he was good. you may or may not notice, they adapt his early works most of the time with exception of his JFK time travel story and under the dome. people barely know he's still alive anymore.

• 1Seriously?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I just find it insulting that King's name comes up at all when people talk about American writers. When you have writers like Capote, Vonnegut, Twain, McCarthy, etc... it's embarrassing that most Americans will think of Stephen King first if you ask them to name an American novelist.
Heres the thing.

King wrote about vampires, psychic powers, aliens, and other interesting shit.

Capote wrote about family drama and coming of age as a homosexual or some shit. It really doesnt matter how good Capote was at placing commas or using his thesaurus. This just makes King a better writer, in that he writes better content, even if some would prefer he wrote it differently.

I'm open to literary criticism of course, but fucking Capote? The thing is, if you write about boring bullshit style doesnt really matter. And most of the "greats" that literary types like to talk about, wrote about boring shit.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Heres the thing.

King wrote about vampires, psychic powers, aliens, and other interesting shit.

Capote wrote about family drama and coming of age as a homosexual or some shit. It really doesnt matter how good Capote was at placing commas or using his thesaurus. This just makes King a better writer, in that he writes better content, even if some would prefer he wrote it differently.

I'm open to literary criticism of course, but fucking Capote? The thing is, if you write about boring bullshit style doesnt really matter. And most of the "greats" that literary types like to talk about, wrote about boring shit.

You're a fucking idiot, and you've obviously never read "In Cold Blood" which pretty much created the non fiction genre, and is widely considered the greatest American novel ever written. Liking Stephen King is one thing, but saying he's a better writer than Truman Capote is not something anyone with an IQ over 10 would say. Shit, Stephen King's own family wouldn't say he was a better writer than Capote, nor would Stephen King himself.

• 1Salty

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You're a fucking idiot, and you've obviously never read "In Cold Blood" which pretty much created the non fiction genre, and is widely considered the greatest American novel ever written. Liking Stephen King is one thing, but saying he's a better writer than Truman Capote is not something anyone with an IQ over 10 would say. Shit, Stephen King's own family wouldn't say he was a better writer than Capote, nor would Stephen King himself.
Youre missing the point while wagging your dick about being "literary"

No I havent read In Cold Blood. Know why? I read what it was about and it didnt sound interesting.

When I read what The Gunslinger was about, I picked it up and read it.

Theres no doubt in my mind Capote did some clever wordplay or something in his book. I'm sure you can find a passage to quote and point to how artfully he put it together, or an awkward sentence of Kings, and think it proves your point.

You're ignoring my point about the importance of content, and just restating literary orthodoxy. I get it, all the literary greats were such awesome writers, the way they composed sentences in books I'll never have any interest in reading was just masterful. Like a tree falling in the forest somewhere.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Whoa whoa whoa.

In Cold Blood is fine but the greatest American novel ever written? Do we need to suck Capote's gay dead cock to that degree?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In Cold Blood written today..
Two young BLM protestors going into a whitey-owned townhouse and rape/murder the family inside because they were white while stealing their jewelry and credit cards as "reparations". They are arrested but the Soros-backed DA refuses to press charges since they are black and were forced into the act by income inequality. CNN hires both of them as commentators.

The end.

• 1Salty

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Stephen King is more fun to read than Truman Capote. In Cold Blood is good and all but best American novel ever? That's a bold fucking statement. One I've actually never heard anyone say before. Better than Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway and JD Salinger and etc etc?

Stephen King is also a trashy as fuck writer. Which is one reason he is so fun to read. But people like that, because we're all trash people, really.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stephen King is more fun to read than Truman Capote. In Cold Blood is good and all but best American novel ever? That's a bold fucking statement. One I've actually never heard anyone say before. Better than Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway and JD Salinger and etc etc?

Stephen King is also a trashy as fuck writer. Which is one reason he is so fun to read. But people like that, because we're all trash people, really.
To be honest, Steinbeck's of Mice and Men is probably the one that sticks with me the most. Maybe not the most complex or "stylishly written", but it resonated with me on multiple levels. Probably because I grew up poor and was raised by my grandparents who lived through the Depression.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users