GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The way they treat these swords in GoT seems insane... like when Jon gets captured by the Wildlings... none of them take his sword. Those swords are supposed to be more valuable than entire kingdoms, but all of them are just like "oooh boy with a fancy sword, bet he's got a small cock hurr hurr" and in that wiki article, it says Dawn remains at Starfall... how has some lord not just brought his army and killed everyone there and taken it? Seems like those swords and dragons are the only truly limited resource, in that nobody knows how to make more of either.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's just a macguffin. You put these super-badass swords in characters hands and need them to have meaning and value. But you also want these characters to go through trouble, get captured etc.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It's just a macguffin. You put these super-badass swords in characters hands and need them to have meaning and value. But you also want these characters to go through trouble, get captured etc.
Seems like in a more realistic setting you'd be terrified to ever actually use the thing because it might get lost. Like how the shardplate/blades are treated in Way of Kings. You need to use them for them to have value but need to be careful with them too...

Xasten_sl

shitlord
The way they treat these swords in GoT seems insane... like when Jon gets captured by the Wildlings... none of them take his sword. Those swords are supposed to be more valuable than entire kingdoms, but all of them are just like "oooh boy with a fancy sword, bet he's got a small cock hurr hurr" and in that wiki article, it says Dawn remains at Starfall... how has some lord not just brought his army and killed everyone there and taken it? Seems like those swords and dragons are the only truly limited resource, in that nobody knows how to make more of either.
Only Longclaw has really been treated casually, and I think it's safe to assume that no one wanted to take it after Mance warmed up to Jon. All the rest of the swords are pretty well contested / lusted after. Looking athttp://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel, I don't remember too many examples of Valyrian weapons being treated casually. Dawn was returned because Ned was way too honorable to claim it after Dayne died.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
The series is called a Song of Ice and Fire, not Game of Thrones, and started out way more Fantasy than intrigue with the introduction of all the fantasy elements - white walkers, valyrian steel, history of dragons, worgs, direwolves, etc. He moved away from those elements en lieu of the "game" elements, which gained him his popularity.

I don't know how GRRM is going to put everything into place cohesively within a book or two, as he still seems to expanding the Game portion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Only Longclaw has really been treated casually, and I think it's safe to assume that no one wanted to take it after Mance warmed up to Jon. All the rest of the swords are pretty well contested / lusted after. Looking athttp://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel, I don't remember too many examples of Valyrian weapons being treated casually. Dawn was returned because Ned was way too honorable to claim it after Dayne died.
Yeah the whole wrap up of Dawn was less about maintaining continuity of the sword with its owning house and more about giving one more reason to show Eddard as being honorable.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The Game part of the plot is way more interesting than any of the supernatural stuff. We've had 2 books of jack fuck all with the dragons. Hurpie derp they ate a farmer and burned up a dornishman. zzzz.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So GRRM is just adding stuff other people are telling him to?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I wrong or are Valyrian steel weapons still just weapons? It's not like shardblades and shit where they're orders of magnitude more powerful than a normal weapon. You aren't going to be a better swordsman because your sword is Valyrian. They're not the sort of things to fight a war over, not for their physical value anyways.

As for the series starting out more fantasy and getting away from it, maybe if you only focus on the prologue of the first book and ignore the ensuing EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAPPENS.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, I'm not sure what book most of you read, but A Game of Thrones (i.e. the first book) was theleastfantasy-based of them all, in my opinion. Other than the brief and vague stuff about the White Walkers at the beginning and the dragons showing up at the end, it was pretty much medieval politics.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My impression of the Valyrian blades was that they were the ultimate prestige item. Not necessarily that they were super powerful, they were just representative of the holder's place in the society of Westeros.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There has to be something special about them. No one knows how to create them, they're apparently impossibly sharp, and also thought to be one of the only useful weapons against the Others alongside dragonglass/obsidian.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Am I wrong or are Valyrian steel weapons still just weapons? It's not like shardblades and shit where they're orders of magnitude more powerful than a normal weapon. You aren't going to be a better swordsman because your sword is Valyrian. They're not the sort of things to fight a war over, not for their physical value anyways.

As for the series starting out more fantasy and getting away from it, maybe if you only focus on the prologue of the first book and ignore the ensuing EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAPPENS.
I thought the valyrian steel blades were significantly lighter than a normal blade, while also being stronger and remaining razor sharp regardless of use.

It being lighter would obviously confer some advantage as a swordsman trying to wield it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There has to be something special about them. No one knows how to create them, they're apparently impossibly sharp, and also thought to be one of the only useful weapons against the Others alongside dragonglass/obsidian.
Well yeah, the materials are obviously special and so is the process to manufacture them. But as far as abilities, it is just a sword. A really sharp, light and strong sword. But just a sword, not shooting flaming fireballs or whatever.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's also sort of like stealing the Mona Lisa. It's not like you can get the thing and put it on Ebay the next day. Obviously there are few enough of them that everyone is going to know the sword and where it came from so you can't really just walk around with it and not expect to get caught by whoever you stole it from. Doesn't really apply to the Wildings and Jon Snow but if you stole one in Westeros it would be pretty damn hard to do anything with it and not wind up getting your head chopped off.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well yeah, the materials are obviously special and so is the process to manufacture them. But as far as abilities, it is just a sword. A really sharp, light and strong sword. But just a sword, not shooting flaming fireballs or whatever.
I wonder how light they really are. If they're light enough to not get tired swinging them around, I could see how that'd garner you some folk tales about legendary strength/ability if you could just whip that fucker around willy-nilly.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just wait until Victarion gets his molten fucking hands on that Valryian axe they brushed over at one point. Shit will get real!