Gotham Knights new Batman game from Warner Bros Montreal

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What a fucking train wreck.
Wow, i wonder how that could have happened when they had this caliber of designer on the team?

1666515421176.png

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Obviously they saw the Saints Row reboot as their primary competition and did their absolute best to make a game of the same caliber.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wasn’t it Arkham Knights that they did the mass refund and did the game overhaul patch like 6 months later? Am I remembering that correctly? Only in that case it was a port that was fubar and not a new release?

Vorph

Wasn’t it Arkham Knights that they did the mass refund and did the game overhaul patch like 6 months later? Am I remembering that correctly? Only in that case it was a port that was fubar and not a new release?
Yes, the PC port was so bad they had to refund it and it was removed from Steam for like 4 months. Even on console it was easily the worst of the Rocksteady games, but still far better than the shit that WB Montreal churns out. Even graphically Arkham Knight still beats Gotham Knights in many ways, especially the water (both the ocean and the perpetual rain in Gotham City).

ACG showcases it well in his review, though he is way too tame in his criticism.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wow, i wonder how that could have happened when they had this caliber of designer on the team?

View attachment 439390
Jesus fucking Christ. Like anyone with a pulse needs to know why this shit failed. When are people going to wake the fuck up and start hiring real talent?! Then what’s worse is these people live in a little bubble of praise where 99% of the planet knows they suck. It’s acceptable now to be whoever you want. That isn’t what people like these want. Normal is no one gives a fuck and leave everyone else alone. They don’t want normal. They want the fucking attention and once that goes away they will jump off a fucking cliff.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fucking Christ. Like anyone with a pulse needs to know why this shit failed. When are people going to wake the fuck up and start hiring real talent?! Then what’s worse is these people live in a little bubble of praise where 99% of the planet knows they suck. It’s acceptable now to be whoever you want. That isn’t what people like these want. Normal is no one gives a fuck and leave everyone else alone. They don’t want normal. They want the fucking attention and once that goes away they will jump off a fucking cliff.
What are you, some kind of...

<checks notes>

...Gender-noncompliant-phobe?

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been playing this since Friday, I’m level 13 right now, just recently finished unlocking fast travel. I’m not very far into the story as I keep doing open world stuff. I’m really enjoying the game so far. The writing is pretty good so far for main story and the vilains side story I’ve done up to this point.

Combat is fairly basic but gets a lot more interesting when you start getting the elementals weapons and mods. Using the right type against different ennemies makes a huge difference.

As usual, I get distracted by open world stuff and I’m out leveling the main story. I think main story is listed as 7-10 right now and I’m 13…par for the course for me. :)

Unlocked Knighthood skill tree for Batgirl and Nightwing so far, probably going to do Robin next and then Red Hood.

I like the traversal a lot, not as good as Spider-Man but lots of fun to grapple around buildings and glide with Batgirl, and using the bike once in a while.

Very happy with the game so far.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I made level 20 last night after some 24 hours played. Still at chapter 3 (there's 8 total I think) in the story which is like level 10-12 so I'm spending way too much just playing around in the open world.

I just can't stop myself from stopping crime everywhere.

Oh, and fuck drone operators. I hate those guys.

Vorph

Man, I don't know how you do it. I was bored of the gameplay loop by the third night. Mostly because of how bad the traversal system is (which hopefully will go away once I finish unlocking Nightwing's glider thing), but the combat itself is a huge step down from the Arkham style too. The animations aren't nearly as fluid, and at least at the beginning there's far too few of them (like when you perfect dodge and attack it's the exact same thing every time). Also, I really hate X being both light and heavy attack.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Man, I don't know how you do it. I was bored of the gameplay loop by the third night. Mostly because of how bad the traversal system is (which hopefully will go away once I finish unlocking Nightwing's glider thing), but the combat itself is a huge step down from the Arkham style too. The animations aren't nearly as fluid, and at least at the beginning there's far too few of them (like when you perfect dodge and attack it's the exact same thing every time). Also, I really hate X being both light and heavy attack.

I usually just enjoy open world games, I spent 150+ hours on both AC Odyssey and Valhalla before finishing the main story. Yes it’s repetitive stuff, but for some reason I just enjoy this stuff. It’s kinda mindless gameplay that doesn’t require tons of effort. One of my favorite game is Death Stranding and just delivering stuff for hours on end.

I can’t compare to the Arkham games because I didn’t play them, tried the last one and got frustrated with the batmobile missions, I wanted to be Batman, not drive up buildings and rooftops in a car. That’s just me though.

Combat isn’t amazing but I like it well enough, once you start doing elemental damage it gets more interesting especially since around that time you get more challenging enemy type. My fun is to try and complete the bonus objectives and be as efficient doing them, trying to avoid being seen, or taking damage.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I can’t compare to the Arkham games because I didn’t play them, tried the last one and got frustrated with the batmobile missions, I wanted to be Batman, not drive up buildings and rooftops in a car. That’s just me though.

Play Arhkam Asylum to warm up, then play Arkham City - do that now, and then come back to this game. Then post about your experience.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Play Arhkam Asylum to warm up, then play Arkham City - do that now, and then come back to this game. Then post about your experience.

I understand what you're saying, and I am not disputing the fact that the Arkham games are probably better, reviews everywhere have said as much. This game could certainly benefit from certain improvements, that said I am genuinely enjoying it and having fun. Maybe playing the Arkham games would show me how much missed potential there is, but it still wouldn't change that fact I am having fun right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So 45 hours in, I hit level 30 which is the cap before new game+. I then went to finish the 3 villains side story, then the main story.

The main is really good, well written with excellent voice acting. The villains stories were good, the Clayface one was way too short though compared to the other two.

I started new game+ and made it to 33 so far. So going to be replaying the story again. I mostly used Batgirl the first time. I’ll try Red Hood this time around. Probably alternate with Nightwing and Robin when I make it to 40.

Really enjoyed the game.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've watched some videos here and there, I feel like I watched a decent spread throughout the game's story and the voice acting does nothing for me.

Maybe it's less about their skill level (which seems adequate) and more about their voices themselves feeling grating... It was the same with pathfinder wrath of the righteous...